• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pip U/D post #55 - Fully recovered I hope :)

At vets now...been here waiting for them to squeeze us in over an hour. OH drove. He's not happy.
Prayers needed please. The vet who treated Fiver two weeks ago will be tending Pip today.

Sending loads of prayers and well-wishes, Minzmum.

I hope all will be well :) xx (((( hugs ))))

Pip has been admitted. :(
I'm not real happy.
Vet thought at first he felt a bladder stone but then said her bladder was empty so he couldn't be certain. Maybe it was a fecal pellet. (You don't KNOW?) He wants to irrigate her (sub q's) and give metaclopromide in her IV. (He said he didn't feel a blockage, but also did not offer to take xrays.) He won't even give her pain relief, according to his nurse who is now the liaison apparently, until 2 PM today (her usual dose for metacam is 10 AM.) I felt very talked down to by her and that kind of attitude does not fly with me.
He's also going to do a urinalysis and an ultrasound to check her bladder, and a cystoscopy?
I feel like I've done a horrible thing leaving her there. I wanted to get meds and more critical care and take her home to nurse her. Apparently this isn't 'done' anymore. And the estimate for all this is surprise-surprise...about the same that it would've been to have Fiver looked at for his teeth two weeks ago. :?
On the drive in OH was ranting about how I spend too much money on them (the rabbits but all the pets in general) and I needed to "let them go if they're suffering." :censored: Obviously I would, if that were the case...but it's like he's telling me I've had my fun, now I need to give up my marbles and go home. :cry:
My poor Pip.... She has to stay overnight, in a place she hates, with no night nurse and there wasn't any other option. My poor daughter, been through the ordeal of her life, just gets home and I couldn't stay long enough for more than a quick hug before I was out the door, trying to save her bunny. And I get :censored: for it. :evil:
I feel like a failure on all fronts.

I'm so sorry.

You are not a failure - you are doing your very best for your pets and children. It's not easy - you are only one person; there is only so much you can do. I'm sorry your partner isn't more supportive at the moment - I wish I could help.

Sending warm vibes for bun xx

What really horrible circumstances, no wonder you feel so bad with OH ranting at you:cry:

You have done an amazing job in really difficult circumstances and I'm sure your daughter appreciates your efforts:love:

Wishing Pip all the best and hoping it's not as bad as it sounds.

I've just read over this whole thread...I want to apologise as I sound like I am tossing advice into the bin left and right, it was not so and I am so thankful for any and all replies posted. I was just so frantic and lack of sleep and worry about both Pip and my daughter came to the fore...I was not thinking straight and kept my responses far too curt.
Thank you all for helping me get through this terrifying morning. Your well wishes and kind thoughts and advice for Pip have been invaluable. I just wish I had been better prepared for this. So much coming at me all at once and like a flood it doesn't stop. Please forgive me, if I have offended any of you. And thank you all so very much for your vibes for Pip. I fear she will need all she can have right now. :cry: ((((((((((Huge hugs))))))))))) xxxx

I've just read over this whole thread...I want to apologise as I sound like I am tossing advice into the bin left and right, it was not so and I am so thankful for any and all replies posted. I was just so frantic and lack of sleep and worry about both Pip and my daughter came to the fore...I was not thinking straight and kept my responses far too curt.
Thank you all for helping me get through this terrifying morning. Your well wishes and kind thoughts and advice for Pip have been invaluable. I just wish I had been better prepared for this. So much coming at me all at once and like a flood it doesn't stop. Please forgive me, if I have offended any of you. And thank you all so very much for your vibes for Pip. I fear she will need all she can have right now. :cry: ((((((((((Huge hugs))))))))))) xxxx

Aaawww I've just seen your latest update ..... I'm so sorry you've been treated in an off hand way at the vet! There's no excuse for that!

You are not a failure - in fact you are something of a hero to have coped with everything. It seems that at every turn you've had obstacles preventing things from going smoothly, and yet you've made things happen.

Sending you all the calming vibes in the world and a load more healing ones for Pip xxxxx

Vibes for pip! Keep us posted, and I think it's more than understandable considering the circumstances that you weren't super responsive to every single comment.

Thank you all :) Again, I am very sorry for being so brusque. I try to be a polite person and even in a crisis situation, manners cost nothing.

Well I received a phone call from the vet this afternoon about 5 PM. (It's 7 here now...I've been nodding on and off due to lack of sleep.)
The sub q's re-hydrated Pip and filled her bladder. They took a sample I guess and found a lot of crystals, but no stones. She did have sludgy urine and I guess it's because she begged for any greens Five had while he was ill, so I shared some with her. Kale will probably be off the menu from now on as I know that can be high in oxalates and probably helped in part to cause the sludge. Shame though, she really seemed to enjoy it. :(
The good news is no stones...that really scared me because I know a surgery for that kind of thing would likely be hard on her at her age. (She's about 7-8 years.)
She's been syringe fed every two hours, had metacam coverage and is on an IV drip with metaclop overnight. She will be alone (no nurse) for about ten hours. :( This disturbs me, I would rather have her home so I can tend her, but the vet said it was important to keep her on the drip and she should be okay to go that long as long as there's fluid going in. Of course as I type this I'm thinking...suppose she eats the drip? :(

Gotta pray she'll behave and be fine. She weed all over the towel they had her on but won't use the litter box, I think due to her arthritic hips but once again was so relieved she was doing better I forgot to mention this. Not sure she'll munch at her hay in the litter box but there's not much there. I don't know if they gave her any of their own. She just slept/laid in the box all night last night so I think it brings her comfort...not sure how, I use Yesterday's News in there along with hay cover and it can't be that pleasant to rest on.

Good grief, now I can't think of anything but her eating her drip line. :shock: Or maybe the towel! She's a chewer...why didn't I think to mention that??

Please send vibes that she doesn't do this. I have no way to get hold of them now, they've all gone home. :(

It's completely understandable that you blanked on her normal behavior because she wasn't acting normal! I know when I worked at a vet(dog/cat) we would tape up the site to minimize likelihood of chewing thru lines! I'm sure if your vet is confident with buns they will have thought the same! Tho they sounded very rude in your earlier posts hopefully that just makes them excellent animal people!

Last edited:
Well this is not Pip's usual vet. The one I trusted her implicitly with now teaches at the University and is rarely in residence. :( I have to hope these things were thought of, or that she was feeling well enough before they left that she began messing with stuff and they secured it.

I took a chance and left a message on their answering machine just in case someone was working late there. If not they'll hear it first thing and hopefully can help her out.

Ah...worry...thy name is bunny! :roll:

Hopefully Pip will be feeling much more comfortable after IV fluids. The bladder problems may be secondary to her artritic problems. If she is becoming less mobile as time goes by this can predispose a Rabbit to developing bladder sludge.

All you described about Pip's symptoms are things I immediately recognised as being bladder related as I have seen it many times before over the years. My Flynn has a chronic problem with it. He is managed with regular SQ fluids and bladder expression, appropriate medication and dietary modification. Flynn is 10 now and at the moment he is coping well :)

After all the stress and anxiety you have had going on over recent months it is little wonder that you feel at the end of your rope. But you certainly have not caused any offence and I did not read your posts on here as being dismissive in any way. I just read the posts as being from a very dear friend who was extremely worried and distressed (((((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))))

Of course you would prefer Pip to be at home with you, but IVs are so important for her at the moment. Hopefully she will be able to return home within the next 48 hours.

Re the Kale, it is unlikely that that alone was the cause of all this. She would need to have eaten a truck load of it to cause problems in such a short space of time. The calcium deposit build up is almost certainly something that has been developing slowly and silently over several months. And NO, this is not your fault. Unfortunately it happens in some cases, especially in less mobile Rabbits.

Sending lots more vibes for Pip and some stress reducing vibes for you

Also, Welcome home C !! :love:

Thanks Jane :love:
Ah yes...to take the thread off track just a wee moment...my girl is definitely happy to be home. Poor thing is exhausted. She's done a marvelous job of coping with all this, considering her physical maladies and mh issues. I hope she can continue the momentum but for now she needs to heal and regain her strength. She can take with her into the future the knowledge that she conquered a lot of demons with this trip and she need not deal with them again, although they probably will rear their ugly heads. That the surgeon was able to perform the procedure with minimal affectation to nearby tissues and nerves is epic. OH was very impressed with this lady, she was indeed top in her field. There were the usual difficulties with receptionists and financial representatives, but on the whole the result we hoped for was there.

Now if between the vet and myself we can bring her bunny home to live a few more years in good health, things will be a bit better. :) I was surprised to see that you didn't feel the kale had contributed but I don't know much about sludge other than it forms in sedentary rabbits and that their diet may be a factor. (The owner of the US bunny forum I used to post at had a sludge bunny who developed stones late in life and this was where I got some of this information.)
I remember the problems with Flynn, poor chap. :( Glad to hear he is doing well on maintenance.

I am mostly fretting about the IV line and any towels they may have left with her. She does chew and I once saw her take a towel that was being used as a "ceiling" on her enclosure, yank it down and being to shred the fibers, eventually getting some of it lodged in her throat and by the time I got to her (it was that quick) she was already choking. I never left her with another towel after that and can't believe I didn't warn the vet not to either. :(

And of course...I miss her. :( The room is very quiet without her here, she is usually the one foot flicking about in her enclosure for no reason other than that she can. When it's time to do cleanup, she announces it with a toss of her litter box. I love hearing her wee nose going a million miles a minute as she sniffs for her nightly oat hay cake after taking her metacam. She is such a character...different from the boys like night and day. The only thing that made last night's worries bearable was to see how comfy she was on my bed with the electric blanket on. In fact, she looked at me as if to say, "So...how come I haven't known about this luscious warmth before now? You've kept it from me, have you? Well, we'll have to see about that!"

Thank you for the vibes and hugs. :) They are so greatly appreciated, you have no idea.

I'll add another thank you for all who have posted with well wishes and vibes for my daughter too. We are so very glad this chapter of our life is fading from view behind us! And to all who have posted or thought about my Pip during this trying time, thank you. I name each of you in my heart and your input has meant so very much. I do think a revision to my bunny emergency kit is in order though, as things like the simethicone drops that were mentioned by cpayne and Mighty Max are things I used to have onhand at all times. When the companies that manufactured them started fudging with the ingredients I even had our local pharmacy whip up a special batch with only so much flavour and no weird sugars in so that it would be safe for all the pets...guess what? They all hated it and refused to swallow it! :shock: And then for the vet to not give her pain relief for about 3 hours past her dosage time...who does that? I'm sure they were syringing her recovery at the time, so her tummy was no longer empty, it would've been safe. It really made me wish I'd just gone ahead and given her some but then I keep thinking how that can interfere with treatment. (Not sure how but all the vet offices tell you not to administer anything till the vet sees the pet...and that seems to include regularly given meds. :? )

Oh well...20/20 hindsight and all that. I'll just be happy to hear that she's ready to come home tomorrow and we'll take it from there.

Just read through, millions of vibes from across the seas to your wee one & other 'wee' one :)

I'm so very sorry I haven't posted on this thread, I can imagine how stressful things are for you.

Sending lots of love and vibes for Pip, you and your daughter xxx

Thank you Kermit :love:
Oh RP ((((((((Huge hugs))))))) No need to apologise. I'm still thinking of you and Roly and sending hugs. It is nice to see you here. :)

I will pass everyone's well wishes onto my daughter, she will be glad to know there are so many routing for her. :) xxxx

Back