• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pip U/D post #55 - Fully recovered I hope :)

Just read your overnight manoeuvres ... You are not rude and dismissive at all - how can you say so! I feel very sorry you've got yet another crisis going on and I think you're managing brilliantly. I'm sure I wouldn't be.

Loads of gentle (((( hugs )))) to help you through this rocky rough patch. I hope Pip pulls through and love to you all xx

Thank you everyone for all your kind wishes. :)
I spoke with her vet this afternoon. She did very well and has passed about 37 poos in all since they got her going. She is now alert and trying to leap out of her pen instead of sulking at the back. She did not eat her drip line or her towel. I can go pick her up at 5 PM today and bring her home. :D

I can't tell you how relieved I am. I didn't sleep well all night thinking about her and she was my first thought on waking and I waited what seemed like forever to hear from the vet. I'm still so tired I can't stop yawning. But it looks like all is well. He'll send us home with a bit more metaclop and so far she's still taking syringe feeds but he feels she's eaten a wee bit of her hay that she came in with and will probably start really eating when she gets home. I have CC here just in case, but he thinks they got her gut working well again and it will hopefully stay that way.

Thank you so much everyone for your vibes. I can't wait to see my little diva, she is probably going to be stamping feet by the time I get there, wondering why the slave hasn't been to come get her yet! :lol: xxxx

So glad to hear you're getting your little diva home :wave:

May there be much stomping of feet and demanding of treats :D

I spoke with her vet this afternoon. She did very well and has passed about 37 poos in all since they got her going. She is now alert and trying to leap out of her pen instead of sulking at the back. She did not eat her drip line or her towel. I can go pick her up at 5 PM today and bring her home. :D

I can't tell you how relieved I am. I didn't sleep well all night thinking about her and she was my first thought on waking and I waited what seemed like forever to hear from the vet. I'm still so tired I can't stop yawning. But it looks like all is well. He'll send us home with a bit more metaclop and so far she's still taking syringe feeds but he feels she's eaten a wee bit of her hay that she came in with and will probably start really eating when she gets home. I have CC here just in case, but he thinks they got her gut working well again and it will hopefully stay that way.

Thank you so much everyone for your vibes. I can't wait to see my little diva, she is probably going to be stamping feet by the time I get there, wondering why the slave hasn't been to come get her yet! :lol: xxxx

So sorry I did not see your thread earlier, but am glad Pip is doing better and coming home. You have been through a lot with Fiver, your daughter's surgery, and now Pip; so it must have been though when OH was crabby. It was good that he drove you and Pip to the vet when he was just off the plane with your daughter.

Not sleeping always seems to make things even worse, when they are bad to begin with it can be unbearable.

In my many years of caring for my pets, I find it difficult to not blame myself when a pet is ill. I'll ask myself--Did I not notice soon enough? Should I have done more? Did I stress the bunny out by doing too much? Then I remind myself of everything I, and others on RU, do for the love of bunnies (and other furries). I also remind myself of the number of pets who lived much longer than they would have without my care.
MimzMum, Pip is very lucky to have someone to take the time to hand feed cc, water, give pain meds to her, get her to the vets, invest in her care, and lose sleep worrying about her.

I saw your post about updating your pet emergency kit, and I am not sure if your's includes fluids. I always have a bag of fluids in the house to give sub-Q with either a large syringe or the line/needle set-up. I cannot count the number of times that hydrading my bunny and giving Medicam turned them around within a short time. I also syringe water into their mouths if they take it-1ml at a time works best with my small breeds. I do not give cold fluids if the bunny has a low body temp, but have even warmed them very slightly. I also have Medicam, Metrocloprimide, and Critical Care.

Perhaps we should start a thread asking others what they find useful in an emergency kit, since mine does not contain simethecone either. I know we still need to get them to a professional, but sometimes bad weather conditions, lack of transportation, lack of a rabbit vet at the emergency clinic, family illness, and many other factors can keep us from getting to the vets right away or at odd hours.

Thank goodness she is on the mend !! :D

Thanks everyone :)
Sorry for not updating sooner. We got home about 6 tonight and it's now almost midnight. I am so exhausted I have fallen asleep sitting up several times. I have a blinding headache and threw my back out somehow this evening. :( And I still have a long night ahead!
Pip was very much in better spirits when I got to the vet. You could tell she was feeling much better. Her poos are still dark and misshapen but they are slowly building in size, amount and form. I am to continue to syringe feed her for the next 24 hours (I'm assuming the two hour gaps in between still) and the only bad thing is, the vet forgot to give me the metaclop to take home! :( I forgot to mention it too, like a dummy. I did call when I got home but they'd closed. He wound up leaving me a voicemail that the meds would be at the counter tomorrow as early as 7:30 but I cannot even think of driving back again at the moment. Likely OH is not interested either as the car was making strange noises as we came home, he won't want to risk a breakdown by driving back again, but we'll have to see how things go.
Pip is eager for a fuss and seems, not traumatized, but needing reassurance. The vet said they have a good "bunny whisperer" there who does the syringe feedings so I have no doubt, especially with how clean Pip was when I picked her up, that they treated her well. But she must've been startled to be left there and then didn't get to come home overnight, so she is obviously glad to be back.

She went straight to eating hay when she got back in her habitat, albeit in fits and starts, and she is currently snoffing one of her oat hay cakes. :)
I'm also not sure the last time she had pain meds. I'll probably skip a dose tonight because she seems very well, but will resume her schedule in the morning.
I had some questions about the syringe feeding though. He gave me three largish syringes, no markings on them, and he told me the amount to put in but said that she likely won't eat all of it. How long should it take to finish the amount he said to give her? (the dosage is one teaspoon CC to two teaspoons water and I'd have to say it's at least a 5 ml syringe if I'm eyeballing it right) I can only get her to eat about half of this and I have to do it over about an hour period because it's a start and stop process. Does that sound right?
I do not have extra fluids that are current, bunnymomma. I had some for overwinter, but can't think they're any good now, but Pip has been on a drip for at least twenty four hours, maybe a bit longer because they kept her on it till I picked her up. She went in at 8-9 yesterday morning and they set her up right away. I will get another bag the next time I go in, but at the moment it will all have to be oral if she needs more hydration. She has gone straight to drinking her water though, and like she's been across the desert which I find curious if she's been irrigated for almost two days straight. Not complaining though! ;)

I have always known a bunny ER kit is a must, very much so where I live, but I can't always find the ingredients I need for it. It does make me feel woefully unprepared.
I try to cut my OH some slack, but there are extenuating circumstances I can't go into here. Suffice it to say that things will remain tense until the dam breaks and then life will probably be quite different for both of us. But that has nowt to do with bunnies.

He was kind enough to drive me in again today, as I mentioned, and it was a good thing because I am dead on my feet. Since I've been dozing and yet also watching Pip like a hawk since we got home, I am late getting everyone tidied up tonight so I have to get going, but I wanted to let everyone know we got back and that things are progressing positively at the moment. If anyone can help me with properly feeding Pip so I don't cause her any distress and she doesn't backslide I would be very grateful. :wave: I have more of the hay she likes on the way, substituting with a slightly coarser brand atm, but it won't get here till Friday at the earliest. I think running out of her usual food may have been a factor in this episode, so I am glad to be syringing her recovery until it arrives.
I am so lucky to have RU to turn to. :thumb: I'd be lost without you guys! xxxx

Well done Pip :thumb: She's doing really well. Well done you too. Poppy hates syringe feeding esp as she starts to improve so we actually cut it out once we could get her to self feed with encouragement and just focused on that. Masses and masses of forage and grass and just kept at it feeding her every hour as much as she would take. I know you are very North in the US has Spring and forage started yet? Pops droppings were abd still are very dark and small but masses coming out so that is all that concerns us and as long as it's going in and out there is nothing to worry about. Once she got on top of her gut slowdown and began to voluntarily self feed fresh forage then eating hay happened naturally and gradually. If it hadn't been Spring here we would not have kept her going I don't think. We have stripped the garden of anything rabbit friendly! Twice daily metclopramide and ranitidine has been instrumental. I eventually stopped the metclopramide as it can make them a bit gripey. Good luck x

Just a last post to this thread in case anyone wondered how Pip was doing. :)
As of this evening, she is still eating on her own and doing well in the elimination department. I finally got their new hay in today and am relieved that all 3 bunnies were at least eating what we had up till now.
I just got the metaclop today also, but don't think we'll need it now. Pip has been eating and drinking just fine and I think we are over the worst of it. Although we've got a week of temperatures in the 80's F forecast and I know that tends to set them all off their feed. :(

I still can't fathom exactly what it was that may have stopped Pip from eating. She is my best bunny for snoffing hay, so it was a shock to say the least that she went downhill so quickly. The vet never really made a determination either, basically he put it down to a freak occurrence, but it will niggle at me until I figure it out. There are so may factors that could be part of it: all the stress in the house on the part of the humans, the lack of her favorite food, perhaps something that was in her food that didn't agree with her, even the type of water I give her can have a part as she likes a certain bottled water that we ran out of the day before and I had to substitute it with my own bottled water brand. The only other thing I can think of is that the local air force base was doing their Red Flag exercises where there's a lot of jets going over, but we've had that each year that she's been here. So I can't really point a finger at the military.

Whatever the cause, I don't want it repeated. Not since Mimzy's head tilt have I feared that one of my rabbits was so close to death. As frightening as Fiver's episode two weeks ago was, he came through it rather quickly and I was amazed at his recovery. Now if I can just get them through the heat wave that's coming I might be able to relax a bit.
Rabbits, who'd have 'em? :lol:
Thank you all so much for being in our corner. Your help and well wishes were so deeply appreciated. Bless you. :) xxxx

Can't believe I missed your thread. So pleased Pip is well now, sounds like it was very very worrying and stressful. Hope you and your family can finally relax.

I'm glad that Pip is eating well now & settled back home :) although sometimes you don't know why something has happened, the jets going over could well have frightened her. Still main thing is her hoomin noticed & got her prompt treatment.

Sending lots of stay well vibes & extra stay away jets vibes x

Back