• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

PIGEON FOR HAPPY HOPPING...updated with a story!!!

Ian has had racing pigeons for many years so he has different strains to rear from. Those birds on the roof are all our and that is only some of them!

Problems we have with the rings is if the bird breaks its leg or is injured and like your love bird, swells up. We mend the broken leg with a plaster bandage and is usually successful. They are so very gentle and never struggle. The rings are necessary for racing.

Oooo I love pigeons, wild and otherwise! My friend thinks I'm insane and rambles on about "vermin" but I'll be there in the middle of the city with a sandwich and a billion pigeons eating it out of my hand like a crazy pigeon lady :lol: :lol: :oops: .

I've never seen a baby one before... funny looking things! But baby birds are often weird looking until they get their adult feathers.

Racing pigeons are very different from the pigeons you see in town etc. Those poor things have to fend for themselves and I have sen a lot with deformities of their feet. We also have a lot of wood pigeons round about here and they are pretty (and big)

I took this a wee while ago...so unusual for a wood pigeon to come so near but I think he was eyeing up my dish of water I always have out for my little birdies :lol: At the other side of the house we had a huge belt of tall trees and the hydro-electric cut them down as they were touching the wires (we didn't plant them) My son said ...Mum they have killed all our blackbirdies and woodies (wood pigeons) etc but I didn't get a choice. The woodies have found somewhere else to nest but still come here

DSC08904.jpg

DSC08901.jpg

This was an article wriiten for our local paper but never published as bird flu came into the picture

A ROYAL SPORT FOR ALL COMPETITORS

Here is the sport that has a single starting gate, and a hundred finishing lines. It is an aerial race with thousands of competitors, and no spectators. It is a sport built around a central mystery; the strange homing instinct of the racing pigeon. Nobody really knows for sure, how or why, pigeons can be released hundreds of miles from their lofts, and will always try to find their way home. But of course, the sport is also based around trying to breed for speed and endurance. They have pedigrees like racehorses and are bred and trained with care equal to that bestowed on their equine brothers.

The Queen is world famous for her love and involvement with horseracing, less well known are the Royal lofts at Sandringham. Established in 1886 by Prince George, later to become King George v. He was joined by the Duke of York in acquiring the best bloodlines, and success at local and national level soon attained. The lofts saw active service during both world wars, and their pigeon Royal Blue, won the Dickens medal during WW2 (The animal equivalent of the Victoria cross) for relaying vital messages to Sandringham from occupied Europe. Today the lofts are still very successful, currently being managed by Carlo Napolitano.

The Royal Loft at Sandringham

RoyalLoft.jpg

Close links still remain with the royal family, the Queen being patron of the sport and the UK governing body is called the Royal Pigeon Racing Association (RPRA). In Scotland, fanciers race under rules laid down by the Scottish Homing Union. (SHU)

Below are the Racing pigeons being liberated at Lerwick July 2005 to race back home to all parts of England including to the loft at Sandringham
LiberationatLerwick1.jpg

A few circles to get their bearings

LiberationatLerwick2.jpg

At a local level, fanciers in Aberdeen race with the Aberdeen Federation of Racing Pigeons, made up of seven clubs spread all around the city and suburbs. From April through to September the birds go every Friday by road to the designated race points. On Saturday morning, weather permitting; they are released, at distances ranging from Forfar 60 miles to Falaise 600 miles. As the expected time of arrival approaches, nerves become frayed and paths are worn in back gardens all round Aberdeen. When a bird is sighted, the excitement reaches fever pitch as it swings toward the loft and lands will it go in or will it preen itself, precious seconds pass before it finally enters the loft to be timed, fed and watered. For man, woman or child, veteran or novice fancier, the joy and thrill of this moment is always fantastic. Then there is the wait until clock checking, to see how well your charges performed in the club and finally the federation. The winner of the race is determined by the flying speed, (velocity) calculated in yards per minute (YPM). The longitude and latitude of each loft is recorded using Global Positioning System (GPS) and exact measurements of the race points are then calculated. Upon entry to the loft, a rubber marker ring attached to the birds leg on Friday, is removed and inserted into the timing clock, recording the arrival time. A simple calculation is then used to work out the velocity. The more experienced fanciers will also be members of the Scottish National Flying Club (SNFC). This enables them to compete against the whole of Scotland in a series of races going deep into France. These long distance events are very often won the next morning, the birds having flown all day and having to roost for the night. These super fit pigeons will rise again at first light and make their way home.

The difference between pigeons seen on Union St and the blue blooded inhabitants of a racing loft are a million miles apart. No disease or parasites are tolerated, good animal husbandry is required all year round in order to breed, condition and race these athletes of the sky.

Pigeon racing has and always will be a sport of intrigue where the working person can compete against the best in the land. We are an equal opportunity sport and will be delighted to accept young, old, male or female members. The question will always be asked why and how do they do it I doubt if we will ever find the answer, this is why there will always be the interest in the sport of racing pigeons. We point out at this time of uncertainty with avian flu threatening to rear its head that pigeons do NOT contract or carry the disease. It has been proven by the wonderful vet’s world wide that support our sport. If this article has kindled a desire in you to find out more of this sport why not arrange for a loft visit to view our wonderful feathered friend and see the birds that we all love.

Ian's birds

MVC-015F.jpg

We ran a one loft race (as opposed to the birds flying to different lofts) here at our loft in aid of funds for the Rotary and the Queen donated a pigeon for that. Her loft manager is a friend of ours. The local paper came and did a write up!

We also have had many holidays revolving round million dollar one loft pigeon races. Three times to south Africa, one in Las Vegas and smaller ones in the Gran Canaria. Ian won £2000 at one race in Gran Canaria about 6 years ago. Also in South Africa (Ian & a syndicate) won over £8000...jubilation....never got a penny as the organisers went bust :cry:

Hope this hasn't been too long and will give you an insight into pigeon racing!

Happy Hopping....the pigeon loft is their "home spot" When they are liberated at the race point, their one aim is to get home. No one really knows how the find their way home but there are many theories

Hi Carys

Do you mean this?

RoyalLoft.jpg

No ... that is the Queen's pigeon loft :lol:

This is my house

DSC08935.jpg

Still work to be done here

DSC08928.jpg

The other side....the tiny window is my office

DSC09054.jpg

DSC09053.jpg

I left the windows in my house wide open yesterday and imagine my suprise when I came upstairs and found a pidgeon sat on our bed! :shock: He had flown in through our bathroom window and then went into our bedroom whereby hubby had the job of coaxing him back out! :lol:

I have never heard of that before but Ian reared two babies for the girl at the top of the road and they came in and out of the house via the window. They were so tame and sat on her shoulder!

Back