• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets @ Home- Vaccinations

Maybe one day they'll realise/listen, although I suppose (and correct me if I'm wrong (which I hope I am)) if they mis-sell two buns and the owner comes in annoyed 'cos they've now got baby bunnies then the store can offer to take the babies and sell them - for a profit, which may be larger than if they'd got buns from a breeder?

If that happens they should be taken in under the adoption scheme, therefore not sold.

Considerinf that Pets at home only pay £6 a rabbit selling them at £30 makes enough profit to neuture and vaccinate them also they dont have to feed them and house them for 8 wks, but it they neuture them aswell they wouldnt be able to sell them at that age as the females would have to be 5mths old:roll:

Just to let you know.....the rabbits are sold for £26 each or 2 for £45..as a business (my store, with the vets we use) we pay £53 to have a male neutered and £77 for a female....we get no concessions from the vets as we are not a rescue.

We make no money on the sale of livestock.

My friend bought two 'female' rabbits from pets at home she got up last week to three dead babies shes very upset:(

Just to let you know.....the rabbits are sold for £26 each or 2 for £45..as a business (my store, with the vets we use) we pay £53 to have a male neutered and £77 for a female....we get no concessions from the vets as we are not a rescue.

There not all neutered though are they?

I think there are good and there are bad P@H and that is proved in this thread.
I dont think any P@H neuter there buns, i think Lspacehopper (sorry dont jnow your real name) was making a point that they dont make profit on livestock.

Considerinf that Pets at home only pay £6 a rabbit selling them at £30 makes enough profit to neuture and vaccinate them also they dont have to feed them and house them for 8 wks, but it they neuture them aswell they wouldnt be able to sell them at that age as the females would have to be 5mths old:roll:

I must not understand what you mean, because I don't know anywhere where you could vaccinate and neuter a rabbit for £24. You'd be lucky to get both the vaccinations done for just £24

So, it sounds as though the big bosses at Pets at Home see the animals as a loss leader - get people in to the store, see a cute animal and hopefully walk out with one, along with all the cage and accessories etc.

Not read the whole thread so don't know how it's gone, but wanted to say fair play pets at home, I hope other pet shops follow suit :thumb:

Ooops, I got sidetracked by the way the thread had turned but I was originally going to say that giving the myxi jab before sale can only be a good thing. :)

I obviously agree with whats been said but this isnt a P@H bashing thread, i just thought it was a great thing for them to do.
And i hope that they are educating people who are interested in the rabbits so that potential new owners are prepared for the cost involved. It may also put off those who are not commited.

I will be emailing P@H to ask if they will be doing it in all branches.

Doubt its a freebie in p@h :shock: Its a step in the right direction, not seen anything like that in our store yet though. Theres a poor giant bunny in our store whos got a sign up saying hes poorly :( poor thing.

Is he still poorly - I went in there weeks ago and he was ill then. Poor little thing, he's so lovely as well. :cry:

Its great news, but I hope they're promoting the fact it needs updating every 6-12months cos a lot of people think its a case of '1 vaccination for life'

no..... just 1 kg which is what a very experienced vet will do. This would put them at most at about 10 - 12 weeks plus two weeks for recover which would put them at about 12 - 14 weeks, older than they sell them for now but not too much. They'd also have the extra food costs etc for keeping the bunnies for that length of time and the risk of loosing a bun under GA so I don't think with a £30 price tag they'd make any money on the buns at all, even if they could get a big "wholesale" discount on neutering and vaccination. Glad they are mixi'ing though.

Last edited:
I must not understand what you mean, because I don't know anywhere where you could vaccinate and neuter a rabbit for £24. You'd be lucky to get both the vaccinations done for just £24

I get get both vaccinations for £23 :thumb: and I'm sure PAH could come to an arrangement with a local vet (or their own) to do things at a discounted rate.

At least it's a step in the right direction.

Back