• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Petition to Retain the Nobivac MyxO Vaccine U/D 21/2- Reply From MSD AH P78

Surely if they withdraw the old vaccine it will give another company the opportunity to create a vaccine. If there are 3 types of VHD vaccines surely one of those manufactures could then come out with a myxo. would it be worth appealing to anivac or lapinject to create a single myxo vaccine?!

Surely if they withdraw the old vaccine it will give another company the opportunity to create a vaccine. If there are 3 types of VHD vaccines surely one of those manufactures could then come out with a myxo. would it be worth appealing to anivac or lapinject to create a single myxo vaccine?!

It is somewhat more complicated than that, most of the scientific reasons going way over my head. But it is not just a case of 'creating a single vaccine'.

Wish I were able to explain it all more concisely, I fear all the speculation this thread is now generating is only serving to add to our anxieties :cry:

It takes years to get a new medicine to market. If the companies that make other rabbit vaccines (CEVA, pfizer and Pharamagal) are not already on the case then it wouldn't help in the short term.

coming very late to this I'm afraid as I don't have buns at the moment.

Last conversation I had with my vet about this a couple of weeks ago was that she was very concerned about the new vaccine and said there is alot of information available to vets about it which isn't available to us owners. However she admitted that some of the literature she had been sent focussed on the economic benefits for the owner (1 vaccine, 1 visit). Whilst she hadn't had a chance to look at it all fully, she was mainly concerned about the effectiveness against both diseases, and the fact that some owners would see that as a way to cut down on costs and vet visits without realising that there may be issues with the effectiveness of the cover for some buns.

I don't know enough to join the discussion but I trust my vet so I will go with whatever she recommends, whilst there is still a choice. I'm in the fortunate position to be able to pay for 2 lots of vaccinations if they are still available and would need to be utterly convinced before changing to a single vaccine.
But we don't know everything yet.

Lots of people are still not vaccinating rabbits so in some cases a cheaper once a year vaccine instead of having three vet visits may encourage more owners to vaccinate.

Lots of people are still not vaccinating rabbits so in some cases a cheaper once a year vaccine instead of having three vet visits may encourage more owners to vaccinate.

Quit true but I just feel they should allow a choice. With any concerns against it's effectiveness against both diseases I feel people who know more about the importance of vaccinations should be allowed to spend that extra bit of money, if they choose to, to ensure they are comfortable with their rabbits protection. I have hardly any money yet I would still choose to save up to buy the separate vacs if it meant I was completely satisfied with my rabbit being safe if the combined vac proved to not be as effective.

Hi,
I have been reading these posts regarding the combined injections as my two 7 year old rabbits are due to have their next Myxi and then VHD injections anytime now.
When I was last at the vet, my vet told me the next time I'd take them in, they could have a combined injection and therefore one visit and I thought great!, less trips to the vet. But as the time has approached, I decided to have a read up and now I am too confused as to what to do and my instinct is telling me to stick to what they and I know - ie, the seperate injections.
My rabbits are now 7 and have had the seperate Myxi (every 6 months) and VHD (annually) every year and have never had any problems whatsoever. I do not want to risk this by an injection that we do not know the full facts about and may or maynot completely protect them as well as the seperate vaccinations have.
I take my rabbits with me to my parents that live in a very rural area and I want to know in my mind that I have done everything I can to keep them safe. Although this combined injection seems and looks a great idea and we are swayed by the fact it may cost less and will cause less stress by fewer journeys, I too want what is best for my rabbits in the long run.
I think I will be giving my Vets a phone call tomorrow and find out what the situation is with the seperate injections.

Oh - and sorry I wasn't sure which thread to put this in.

Back