• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dolly - Possible cylap rection?...u/d post# 21 & 23 - back from the vets with baytril

u/d second patch

I've been woken up just now by my mum clutching a wriggling black bunny!

Mum went to say good morning to the buns before she went to work this morning. She found another patch on Dolly :( just when i thought she was lucky enough to get away with a minor reaction!!

I'm going to call the vets after breakfast and demand an appointment for this evening. I just hope its not going to get any worse, its been 4 days since her VHD now.

On the plus side, shes still her same old naughty self and has just managed to find her way into the end of my duvet!! :roll:

Fingers Crossed!

shes also able to get at this patch and lick/chew it, as is her husbun, Marley. Should i seperate them or put a sock on her or something? Dont want it spreading/getting worse.

u/d #2

Im kind of frustrated, but i dont know what to do about it.

My vet is forein and i dont know if theres a language barrier or if he was simply talking a load of ****.

When i suggested that it could be a reaction to the cylap he told me that hes never heard of or seen this after the usign cylap. I asked him if he sees a lot of rabbits and he said yes. :shock: hes either lying or really inexperienced. He said its a skin infection that was caused when the needle went into the rabbit! I suppose its possible but all the evidence points to a reaction!!! grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!! :roll: ..oh he also added "its a bacterial skin infection, like eczma that can be passed on" what a moron, eczma IS NOT contagious and i dont believe its a bacterial infection either.

Typical me forgot to take the list of side effects and the report that id printed off and now im kicking myself for not turning around, but i was already running late.

Anyway we came back with a weeks supply of baytril and an even balder rabbit after a close shave with the clippers. Im glad that it wasnt anything serious like stasts *touch wood* but i really wouldnt want to take her to him if it was something life threatening. :?

I might forward the study and the side effects to him, but i cant remember his name, it was a long and complicated one!

I have PM'd you, please feel free to print out my report and take it with you! Dolly's reaction photos are very similar to what several of my buns had.

Back