• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pet insurance help

samijofood

Young Bun
im looking at getting some pet insurance after a scare with my jed last night.

iv got 2 quotes for rabbits one from pets at home the other from petplan. there isnt much difference in price but the cover is and benefits too.
does anyone have any pet insurance for their buns?

any help or advice/tips would be great

Everyone says petplan is great and always pay out.

I'm going to get one with my vets which I've just moved to, it's called something like Pilgrims insurance and is only £8.50 a month and £50 excess, so cheaper than petplan for me and you can claim up to £1,500. The vets is quite a bit cheaper than the normal companion care vets I used to go to and are very good.

Mine are all with pets at home...i have claimed a fair few times and they have paid promptly and direct to my vet :) im very happy with them :) I pay £6 something each per month for £1500 coverage on a lifetime policy. Excess is £75

Mine are all with pets at home...i have claimed a fair few times and they have paid promptly and direct to my vet :) im very happy with them :) I pay £6 something each per month for £1500 coverage on a lifetime policy. Excess is £75

I was quoted more than £6. Guess it goes on the area.

I've been with Pet Plan for four years now. I've claimed twice and they pay out with no problems. They also cover 'for life' which is very important. Make sure whichever company you go with offers this.

It's boring but read the T&Cs they are important. Make sure you get 'for life' insurance. Some policies are only for one year and if you rabbit gets ill they will exclude the condition from next year's cover. A 'for life' policy means you can keep on claiming as long as you renew.

PetPlan are probably the easiest choice, very popular and good coverage for most conditions. Routine dental treatment is excluded and the excess is about £50 - £75.

I went with Pets@home too, they were far cheaper than Petplan for me. I've had to claim once and didn't have any problem.

I am with both Pets at Home and Petplan. Petplan cover up to £2,000 and Pets at Home £1,500. You wouldn't think you would have to worry about the extra £500 but we went through the £1,500 in one go, most went to the emergency vets. They were very expensive, so it maybe worth paying more for more cover. You just never know. A broken leg or accident could be costly.

Definatetely make sure you pay the little extra for the life policy.

well iv read through all the T&C's on both policies. im going to go with pets at home. theirs covers more and its a life policy as long as i keep paying. they also offer bereavment counciling. plus if i sign up online i get a 10% discount. im going to start the policy from nov .

cheers for your tips guys

I went with petplan as I couldn't get thru to p@h - everytime i rang them they hung up on me! I have lifetime cover on petplan, for both buns and it costs me £22.96 a month.

They have holiday cover - if you're away and you need to come back cos they're poorly, they pay your expenses etc, theres alot of little extras on the pet plan one - someone said recently p@h won't insure a bunny over 4 yrs old either so what do you do when they reach 4 ?

I went with petplan as I couldn't get thru to p@h - everytime i rang them they hung up on me! I have lifetime cover on petplan, for both buns and it costs me £22.96 a month.

They have holiday cover - if you're away and you need to come back cos they're poorly, they pay your expenses etc, theres alot of little extras on the pet plan one - someone said recently p@h won't insure a bunny over 4 yrs old either so what do you do when they reach 4 ?

I renewed my policy for Cutie-pie who is 6.5 years old, early September. So am guessing they continue to insure your bunny as they get older. They won't if you are starting a new policy for over 4.

Back