• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Persuading my wife to get a second rabbit

Please be aware of foxes (and cats) with free range outdoors. Sorry, I know I'm sounding all negative now, :)oops:) it's just taht you hear so many stories on here of people losing buns this way. There are things you can add to your fence to stop cats and foxes getting into your garden. I'm not sure how effective they are but maybe worth looking into?

Sorry he is only free range when we're home and in the conservatory so can keep an eye on him :D I wouldn't be able to live if he was free range all the time because of the worry!

P@H do a run which goes with that hutch but still not sure how big that would make it...

Yeah we saw the run when we were buying the hutch, but i dont think it actually fits to the hutch and is more of a seperate thing that you can put up in the garden....

I'll look into it once i've persuaded the wife, i'd rather not get rid of the hutch as we only recently bought it about a month ago :( so would ring around rescues and see what they thought of our situation... I could always build a nice run on there as well, it's just that it's less than 6ft.....

i'd rather get a rescue bun anyway....

I would discuss accomodation with your local rescue and see what they would be happy to rehome to. A nice big safe run built on your hutch and a bun that isnt too big maybe ok. I've recently helped my mum find a playhouse, we bought it off a lady on gumtree for £50, its 4x6ft and we've built a run on the side. Dads building another level inside, they've painted it and making it look like a swiss chalet :D it will be a real feature in the garden, its even going to have window boxes. That is an option for you to think about if you wanted to sell your current hutch and get bigger acomodation that looks nice on a budget. :wave:

I think that hutch would be fine, although some rescues are more strict than others. The descriptions says it's 5'4"x2', plus it has two levels which for me personally is similar enough to 6'x2' on one level. They share beds so nope you don't need a second :)

Most rescues would want to see a run attached though so the rabbits can have access to exercise space for a longer period. Perhaps that would be a good solution to propose to your wife? Adding a run would increase the space so there was room for two bunnies, and it would reduce the time commitment as they could exercise without constant supervision - handy if you have a baby to supervise too!

I think that hutch would be fine, although some rescues are more strict than others. The descriptions says it's 5'4"x2', plus it has two levels which for me personally is similar enough to 6'x2' on one level. They share beds so nope you don't need a second :)

Most rescues would want to see a run attached though so the rabbits can have access to exercise space for a longer period. Perhaps that would be a good solution to propose to your wife? Adding a run would increase the space so there was room for two bunnies, and it would reduce the time commitment as they could exercise without constant supervision - handy if you have a baby to supervise too!

Thanks everyone for your comments/advice.

I'll speak to the wife later/this weekend and let you all know, keep your fingers crossed for me!

Yeah we saw the run when we were buying the hutch, but i dont think it actually fits to the hutch and is more of a seperate thing that you can put up in the garden....

i'm sure it does attatch to the hutch somehow.. thats how they advertise it. one side panel comes out so it fits up to the hutch.

maybe worth looking into :?

Thanks everyone for your comments/advice.

I'll speak to the wife later/this weekend and let you all know, keep your fingers crossed for me!

Good luck! It's so exciting! Maybe show her some piccies/vids of bonded buns playing and snuggling together? ;)

She said yes :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Now i need to start looking/investigating.

Any tips?

I'm so happy for zoid!! :D

YAYYYYYYYYYYYY! *Bounces up and down clapping hands* It'll be so much better for Zoid, particularly when the baby comes and he won't get so much of your attention. Where do you live? There's bound to be a rescue near you someone can recommend.

YAYYYYYYYYYYYY! *Bounces up and down clapping hands* It'll be so much better for Zoid, particularly when the baby comes and he won't get so much of your attention. Where do you live? There's bound to be a rescue near you someone can recommend.

We live in Essex, Wickford to be precise!!

I've found a rescue centre in Leigh on Sea and have sent them an email, so hopefully we'll see something from that, if anyone has any suggestions, we're all ears! :wave:

hooray-zoidberg.jpg

aw a happy twosome is much happier than a lonesome bun....means you can spend time with partner and baby and not feel guilty that bun is alone......

Back