• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Paralysed rabbits

Just got on here and read this.
Im so sorry for Eddie, and for you having been through so much bunnywise recently :cry:
Im really hoping that it is soft tissue damage that will heal over time.
BTW just a thought, have they considered EC? im not an expert in any way but I know that it can cause hind limb paralysis, and you mentioned he was staggering at first. Just a shot in the dark though really.
Sending poor Eddie loooooooads of vibes xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

022-11.jpg

Fankoo! I is feeling betterer now! When I gotted home I was back to stumbling a bit, but it was tiring so now I is flopperated!!

I pwomise to be a gud boy wiv my meddisin so I can gets betterer!

Brave Eddie xx

Aww you are a stunning bunny Eddie!! :love: :love: xx

I'm glad the news is positive and I really hope he'll recover well. Tons and tons of vibes for him. xx

Does anyone have experience with a rabbit who has his back legs paralysed.

What kind of life could he expect to have? Can they be bonded with a healthy bun?

Please contact me....or suggest people that have similar buns.

My bunny ava has a deformed back leg, i'm not sure if that would be classed as paralysed. She can't use it the way she can her other legs and has to drag herself around. She is with her mum Rose and sister Athena. Only issues i have is if she gets it caught, so everything is one level for her.

This sounds like it another problem your talking about though- something that has just happened. Really sorry to hear about this. Hope someone on here can help.

Ambience xx

Eddie you are so gorgeous :love:

I hopes you get better soon!

Teddysmummy I'm sure you will cope fine and give him the best and happiest life, no matter what happens over the next few weeks/months :)

Sending loads of get well soon vibes! Xxx

He won't lie on the brand new vet bed I bought him!! :roll: He's insisting on lying on my rag rug. :roll: Oh well, at least he's comfortable......and managed to move himself 3 meters!! :D:D:D

He's kicking his legs out behind him when dragging himself, but there is no weight bearing, and no hopping movements.

He's also favouring one side, and won't lie on the other side. I'm worrying about sores.

I have to say, now he's home I'm feeling much more positive about it. I keep running after him and mop up the wee! :lol::lol: When he wee's it shoots out behind him, so if I get it straight away it doesn't touch him!! :D

I wonder if you could do bunny physio with him when the pain has eased and he has been more stable and such for a while. I did physio with Tilly and her neck when she had head tilt and it made a huge difference.

I wonder if you could do bunny physio with him when the pain has eased and he has been more stable and such for a while. I did physio with Tilly and her neck when she had head tilt and it made a huge difference.

Like how? Moving his leg muscles every day?

Will muscle wastage make it hard for him to hop if he regains the use of his legs?

My bunny honey went off her back legs two christmas's ago. We treated her for EC and also gave her metecam and antibiotics. She did recover well but always hopped a bit lobsided after that. She died a few weeks ago but it wasnt related.

Matilda started dragging her back leg a couple of weeks ago and xrays showed she had pulled the ligaments and tendons. The vet says she should make a good recovery but it could be months before she is back to normal.

Flippy has gone of his legs twice and its been due to ear infections.

i suppose what i am trying to say really is it could be anything so perhaps you are best to treat for everything that it can be.

sending loads of vibes x

Only time will tell. He's happy though, and that's all that matters at the moment.

How should I clean his face? He's tried sitting up to do it, but just falls over.

I love the smell of sudocream, so am enjoying applying it to him!:roll:

The bad side...
017-17.jpg

015-14.jpg

His poorly GIANT foot. (Look at it compared to the size of my hand! :shock:
014-17.jpg

Like how? Moving his leg muscles every day?

Will muscle wastage make it hard for him to hop if he regains the use of his legs?

Making his muscles work. I would ask the vet about if/when this is appropriate. You would probably find you can develop your own routine and what works and also what he likes. I used to give Tilly a massage after and the amount of tooth purring we got was amazing.

Stew isn't completely paralysed she wobbles and drags her legs a bit but she is a lot better than she was. Even at it's worst she never gave up and dragged herself everywhere,we couldn't stop her. We decided to keep her going as Fhb said she isn't in pain and that was the main thing for us really to help us decided.She has learnt to clean herself using one front paw and probs herself up in the food bowl with her front feet (although i suspect this is to make sure she gets the lions share :roll:)
She is happy and as long as she remains that way we are too :)

have you considered whether accupuncture might help?? I mean I don't know if it would but a couple of ours have had it for muscle problems etc and its great - they suddenly get much better mobility. (Parsley and Bluebell )

My vet trained in it specially.

(on the otherhand when I tried it once from a human accupuncturist it didn't work for me!!).

Cost is the same as normal consultation.

Back