• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

P@H is great!!!!!!

P@H great? With the number of animals they sell and where they source them from, along with the countless sick/impulse bought/missexed animals that they see go through their stores I actually feel offended when people see them as good.:? Plus they fail to neuter or vaccinate their rabbits, even the ones which are supposedly 'rescues'.

Buy your hay from a local farm shop if possible, its cheaper and fresher!;)

Last edited:
P@H great? With the number of animals they sell and where they source them from, along with the countless sick/impulse bought/missexed animals that they see go through their stores I actually feel offended when people see them as good.:? Plus they fail to neuter or vaccinate their rabbits, even the ones which are supposedly 'rescues'.

Buy your hay from a local farm shop if possible, its cheaper and fresher!;)

i know what youre saying, and i do always feel sorry for the bunnies in there, but i think what she meant was theres alot of stuff 4 rabbit owners. any other pet stores near me have very little in rabbit toys, tunnels, treats, so from that perspective, i do like pets at home. i just dont agree with the animal selling. xx

I agree with the above. ^^
I think the topic creator sees Pets At Home as good in that there is lots of stuff under one roof for a rabbit owner to buy?

I go there myself - and can honestly say the hay at the one near me never smells of fish. o_o; The thought of it doing so alarms me. But my rabbits really like the hay from there.

I agree as well if she likes pets at home it's up to her they do have alot of choice for rabbits, I know alot of people dont agree with the selling of rabbits and thats fair enough, but I dont see why it has to be brought up everytime someone mentions p@h

any other pet stores near me have very little in rabbit toys, tunnels, treats, so from that perspective, i do like pets at home. i just dont agree with the animal selling. xx

Go and educate your local pet shop about what is needed for rabbits. Perhaps even make some informatin posters for them about needs of a rabbit for them to put up in store.

Go and educate your local pet shop about what is needed for rabbits. Perhaps even make some informatin posters for them about needs of a rabbit for them to put up in store.

well they sell rabbits in awful conditions, i know sum ppl dnt lyk PAH but compared to two pet stores near they are saints. these pet shops sell bunnies in hamster cages, and they neva have hay or food. i reported them2 the rspca on numerous occaisons. I go to PAH bcus my store...does look after the pets. i know it doesnt fix everything, but in my area they are the best.

The P@H Timothy hay is made/packaged by Burgess who make all the excell products!! I cant remember who packs the meadow hay but i believe the straw is from Canac.

If you have a problem with any product from P@H why dont you take it back and swap it rather than moan about it on a forum, or is it just an excuse to ***** about a shop you dont like? I bought some straw from there once which was damp in a corner, i took it back and swapped it for a perfect bale without any drama, they were more than happy to do this.

Also I have to mention that P@H is one of the better pet shops I have visited, in my local one in Andover the rabbits and guineas are always munching on mountains of decent mixed timothy and meadow hay and there staff know a huge amount of info about all the animals in there care, one girl I talk 2 (who i think is the Assistant manager) has rabbits and guineas and i recently overheard her telling a guy that moving his rabbit into a 3ft hutch was cruel, he said something to her (didnt hear what) then she went and pretended to hit her head on the wall!!!

You cant say all stores are bad if you havent visited all the stores!!

All stores which sell animals are bad as where do you think the animals come from?

The only reason I said what I said earlier was because of the above point, wasn't meaning to turn it into another p@h debate. If you can source elsewhere, in a store which doesn't sell animals, thats better, which is why I said about farmshop hay.:D

its kind of hard to make a single judgement on all PAH stores, tehre's loads of them and some of them are bettr than others. I have read on here of them keeping rabbits in little glass tanks but the one near me has a massive pen for them with a fan in summer.

I have to disagree.

I went into Pampurred Pets in Basingstoke today just to be nosey, they dont sell pets but they seem to under the illusion that rabbits can live in a 2 storey hutch that measures that is 3ft high, 3ft wide and 1 ft deep. Shocking.

I also overheard them telling a lady its fine to use Bob Martin flea drops on a 5 week old kitten when it states on the packaging NOT to use on cats under 12 weeks. Even more shocking.

With the "summer" we had, we can be lucky that there is any decent hay for our bunnies at all. A lot of shops had problems getting good hay and the Hay Experts took the Devon meadow hay off their list completely, because there were some damp bags among the first delivery. If you are not happy with the Hay Experts, then don't order from them and stop moaning about them. It causes more damage to a small business that tries hard to make everyone happy, than if you moan about P@H.

I think thats the thing not all are bad, I wasn't happy with seeing the little rabbit I adopted being kept in a glass tank, but the rabbit and guinea pig enclosures are pretty good with plenty of space and hay, also the people I have spoken to that work their have been pretty knowledgeable about rabbits, for instance when I got my adopted boy last week the girl kept me their for at least 20 minutes covering most things and was really helpful im not saying I agree with keeping rabbits in a petshop but sometimes it seems people are looking for any opportunity to slate p@h and it seems a bit unfair when the subject wasn't even about keeping animals there in the first place.
Sallyx

I think thats the thing not all are bad, I wasn't happy with seeing the little rabbit I adopted being kept in a glass tank, but the rabbit and guinea pig enclosures are pretty good with plenty of space and hay, also the people I have spoken to that work their have been pretty knowledgeable about rabbits, for instance when I got my adopted boy last week the girl kept me their for at least 20 minutes covering most things and was really helpful im not saying I agree with keeping rabbits in a petshop but sometimes it seems people are looking for any opportunity to slate p@h and it seems a bit unfair when the subject wasn't even about keeping animals there in the first place.
Sallyx

True. It was just a badly chosen thread title.

well they sell rabbits in awful conditions, i know sum ppl dnt lyk PAH but compared to two pet stores near they are saints. these pet shops sell bunnies in hamster cages, and they neva have hay or food. i reported them2 the rspca on numerous occaisons. I go to PAH bcus my store...does look after the pets. i know it doesnt fix everything, but in my area they are the best.

I would find a non livestock selling pet store and spend your money there. We have an excellent shop near us which apart from our pellets everything for ARC as in hay, cat & kitten food, cat litter, litter trays comes from. Most things this pet shop will get in for us if we request it. We have educated them about many things to do with animal products.

I use the Timothy Hay with herbs made by Excel which I buy from there and that is fine. But I guess that is Excel and not P@H brand. Never used their own.

if you ask Burgess and P@H you will find out that the excel herbage is made with the exact same hay as burgess pack under the P@H brand.

I would find a non livestock selling pet store and spend your money there. We have an excellent shop near us which apart from our pellets everything for ARC as in hay, cat & kitten food, cat litter, litter trays comes from. Most things this pet shop will get in for us if we request it. We have educated them about many things to do with animal products.

there isnt a non pet selling pet shop near me which i can get to x

Just to add my two-penneth :lol:
Think the bottom line here is finding somewhere near you which you are happy to buy from and that does the best value for money adn the best hay for your buns.
I have tried hay/grass etc from everywhere I can htink of near me and on teh internet (P@H, countrywide, local petshops, vets, the hay experts, willow warren etc). Inevitably I have had a few 'bad' bags and have ended up binning them... with hay it will never be guaranteed perfect due to the nature of what it is which is why we are responsible for checking it before we give it to our buns, just like we check our own food. Hay isnt processed in teh true sense of the word so it will depend on the weather, the bailing day, the checking processes in place etc... i'd be surprised if anyone said they'd never had a 'bad' batch. Just like we do with our veg etc when shopping for ourselves. And if we get something 'bad' when we get home then we alwasy have our consumer rights to be able to return it, also as menitoned above.

Sorry to cause an arguement. What I meant was that it has loads of toys and different things for all animals, that most pet shops don't have. I don't know about the treatment of the animals, and so I wasn't commenting on that. And not all livestock-selling pet shops are bad, I work at one, and they are great. It depends on the management and how much they care for the animals they sell.

not all livestock-selling pet shops are bad, I work at one, and they are great. It depends on the management and how much they care for the animals they sell.

Sorry if this sounds like a daft thought. If you work at a good pet shop, can you persuade the owner to stock decent hay? This would save you having to chase about looking for it.

Back