• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ozzie has gone :(

I have nothing but bad feelings for the unfeeling vet. I don't know whether it would have made a difference but they let him down. I didn't realise that the family run practise had been taken over by a corporate, money-grabbing monster. I have just had to put my friend in a box. Yes he's been in the living room in a blanket and it's taken me 7 & a half hours to find the courage to do it. I keep thinking I should have been more assertive or more informed but to be honest I've done nothing but study rabbit care since I got him, It wasnt my job to diagnose but I really fear they got it so wrong. We were sat there in tears this morning, knowing he was dying & wanting to help him. We were met with a cold attitude from the on call vet. she didnt even say well we could try this or that or we may have to consider PTS. She just mentioned money right away "well you can bring him in if you really want but it'll be £185 just to look at him." I still feel like I did everything wrong, someone told me today that I could have seen the RSPCA Salford, yet I rang them a few weeks ago to see whether I was entitled & they told me they didn't see rabbits & I was out of the area! What are you supposed to believe. :cry::cry::cry:

You did everything you could have for him. I know the feelings you are going through, blaming yourself for not doing x or y, what if this or what if that... I went through exactly the same thing when I lost my girl. Firstly and foremostly take time to grieve for him. It will take time. But remember, Ozzie wouldn't want you to be sad. It's the only thing that brought me round after loosing Dish, I was making myself very sick. When you are ready, I would lodge a complaint against the vets. Maybe then nobody else will have to go through what you have.

You did everything you could have for him. I know the feelings you are going through, blaming yourself for not doing x or y, what if this or what if that... I went through exactly the same thing when I lost my girl. Firstly and foremostly take time to grieve for him. It will take time. But remember, Ozzie wouldn't want you to be sad. It's the only thing that brought me round after loosing Dish, I was making myself very sick. When you are ready, I would lodge a complaint against the vets. Maybe then nobody else will have to go through what you have.

Thank you, I wasn't well before this, haven't slept properly for months & Ozzie has been great & very funny company. I started this awful journey with him when i was already exhausted & now just feel terrible. I think it's because he was so young, I feel he should have lived to 10. People on here are great though, I appreciate it.

Thank you, I wasn't well before this, haven't slept properly for months & Ozzie has been great & very funny company. I started this awful journey with him when i was already exhausted & now just feel terrible. I think it's because he was so young, I feel he should have lived to 10. People on here are great though, I appreciate it.

My girl was only 3 when she passed, and her young age, coupled with the fact that she hadnt been ill in any way (she passed away less than 4 hours after first appearing unwell, I had been with her all day and she had been 100% normal) makes it extra hard to deal with. We all know what you are going through, and we have all had our 'special' buns, which breaks our hearts even more :cry:

I'm so sorry to read this update. You were so attentive.
I bet Ozzie had a fantastic life, he was so lucky that you rescued him!
xx

I'm so sorry you lost poor Ozzie, we recently lost our rabbit Roly as well after he was treated by a vet who didn't really seem to know what they were doing. We're putting in a complaint about it and if you feel like it merits it it might be an idea to do the same. :cry:

I'm so sorry to read this update. You were so attentive.
I bet Ozzie had a fantastic life, he was so lucky that you rescued him!
xx

I think he may have been a bit spoiled -and quite right too as he was "Top Rabbit"! He just fitted in from day one, seemingly no fear at all. I moved the TV out of the living room so he could have a 6ft cage & pen combo as a base in there, plus various hidey dens & litter trays around the house. He had a cloth pegged on the pen to keep him in. He pretended that he couldn't get out but if i dared have a lie in he'd pop out the top & come upstairs to get me. he had a large dragon draught excluder that he chinned every day! As he didn't have a bonded partner yet, i learned how to communicate his way & try to understand what he was telling me. He presented himself for grooming several times a day! I tried to give him the dignity & respect that he had lacked as a neglected child's pet. He was seldom on his own, I work from home a lot and miss him so much already. :(

I'm so very sorry. :cry:

You did everything you could. Ozzie was very lucky to have such a devoted and caring owner.

Thinking of you. xx

Hun, You did your best for Ozzie, that's all you can do.

He is not in pain any more, feel comfort in that.

Lodge a complaint with the vet if that's is what appropriate, it does not sound like the give the best care but sometime you need someone to blame.

xxx

I am so sorry that you lost your special boy, its awful and my thoughts are with you. I know what you mean about having a special bond, Jimby is my sole bun and the thought of loosing him makes me feel sick! Hugs to you and sleep soundly Ozzie xx

Back