• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Over-Vaccinating our bunnies??

As an aside, antibody titres do not necessarily prove immunity -most viral infections rely on cell mediated immunity which cannot be measured.
I am aware of that, but unfortunately titres are the best option we have available at the moment to give us an indication as to levels of immunity!

Vera

I think rabbits that are ILL rabbits are just born to be like that All my rabbits are vaccinated,I only had gut problems with Claude and Vinnie both rexes so prob more to do with breeding than anything Miffy was nearly 6 years old been vaccinated since 8 weeks old myxi every 6 months vhd every year never had any health problems,Same as all my others but obviously not had them all as long

I don't want to get jumped on here, but I have been thinking long and hard about the vacc's in particular the myxi jab, and I probably wont be letting them have it anymore. As far as I am aware it doesn't stop them getting myxi, just gives them a better chance of surviving it. I would not put my rabbits through fighting the illness, and having to be given medication and being handled. I think for my rabbits it would be a lot kinder to have them pts straight away if they were to get myxi, which hopefully they never will.

I think for a lot of people the vacc is a very good idea, if they have tamer rabbits, who don't get so stressed at being handled they stop eating, with confident owners who are able to give the medication when required without stressing the rabbit even more. My rabbits wouldn't cope with it all, and I wouldn't put them through it.

I'll still do the VHD jab though.

Oh and about the cleaning, mine have their trays emptied and washed with lemon juice twice a week, usually thursday and sunday.

As far as I am aware it doesn't stop them getting myxi, just gives them a better chance of surviving it.

The myxi jab does stop rabbits getting myxi, but no jab gives protection to 100% of those vaccinated. Where a rabbit does still get myxi just having partial immunity helps.

I think rabbits that are ILL rabbits are just born to be like that All my rabbits are vaccinated,I only had gut problems with Claude and Vinnie both rexes so prob more to do with breeding than anything Miffy was nearly 6 years old been vaccinated since 8 weeks old myxi every 6 months vhd every year never had any health problems,Same as all my others but obviously not had them all as long

agree with this totally. Molly's been ill her whole life and it's just down to breeding really.

I recently started a thread in which I mentiuon that one of my buns had become ill 48 hrs after her mxyi jab.

Thinking back, I have now realised that there were signs that something was wrong in the days leading up to her illness, days before the myxi jab. I just didn't recognise the signs at the time (not coming out of her hutch as soon as I opened the door, sleeping more than normal).

Even if I did think the myxi jab was the final challenge to her immunity that made her ill, I would still continue with 6 monthly myxi . Research shows that the protection from the jab only lasts on average around 6 to 9 months.
Working in a vets I have seen the suffering of unvaccinated rabbit with myxi. If I can prevent that happening to mine, I will.

Mine are coming up for their 6 monthly myxi jabs so I was discussing this issue today.

I believe that provided the rabbit is in good health, then I will continue to vaccinate against myxi twice a year and vhd annually, as I will continue to worm every 6 months.

The only reason I won't vaccinate is where previously there has been a bad reaction e.g Joey (my old nethie ) was really poorly post myxo vacc last October, so he didn't have his annual vhd as he wasn't up to it, andI have to seriously consider in the next week whether he's upto having his 2nd myxi.

I clean litter trays every day too, but only Milton them once every 10 days or so, as I also believe, that as with children, a little dirt doesn't do any harm, but I NEVER mix litter trays with different rabbits - they all have their own named set of trays

Mine are myxi jabbed every six months. I'd rather err on the side of caution. None of mine have ever shown even minor side effects from the jab, and Floss survived 2 bouts of myxi..I wonder if she would have, had she not been vaccinated.

Back