• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our RSPCA is facing closure over financial issues. UD post 33- anyone able to help?

Is there any way to combine with another branch of the RSPCA? Hopefully I am going to be a trustee for my branch, East Norfolk, and I know we're pretty short of funds. We don't even have a rehoming centre. I could suggest a HUGE combined thing...

Branches can and do merge, but the problem is that if you combine two groups who are broke all you end up with is a large group that's also broke. :(

The Essex branches combined some years back to create a shared animal home
which was set up as another affiliated charity in its own right and that's in a very difficult position now as well.

At the last regional meeting we were warned that the National RSPCA's funds are dropping to danger level too - don't forget that although they have a large amount of money they also have huge outgoings, so the £100 million figure that's always quoted represents less than a year's running costs.

Er, I guess if we did manage to pull pepole together, we would essentially form the committee and do it all. The less people, the more each individual would have to do. But someone doesn't necessarily have to be within reaching distance of the Centre, they could be anywhere.

Do you have any local celebs you could get on board?

I dont know if its the same branch but Pebbles came from the west suffolk branch, I would hate to see it closed :(

I cant really help- wish i could :( x

I dont know if its the same branch but Pebbles came from the west suffolk branch, I would hate to see it closed

No, West Suffolk is the next door branch; Martlesham is run by Suffolk East and Ipswich.

To clarify, this wouldn't be a question of the branch closing down; it would still exist as a group trying to raise funds to help animals and would probably continue to rehome animals using private boarding kennels. What's in question is their ability to raise enough money to keep Martlesham open as an animal centre and charity clinic.

:( If theres anything i can do from down here please give me a shout Sky-O. know how hard it is to get people to donate money. Luckily our branch is financially stable at the moment x

Can they not apply to RSPCA head quarters for financial assistance..surely the HQ would help those branches in other areas?

At the last regional meeting we were warned that the National RSPCA's funds are dropping to danger level too - don't forget that although they have a large amount of money they also have huge outgoings, so the £100 million figure that's always quoted represents less than a year's running costs.

But Rosemary, If you look at

http://www.charity-commission.gov.u...steredCharityNumber=219099&SubsidiaryNumber=0

it seems that the RSPCA HQ consistently spend less than their income each year, and their income increases year on year!

So how can they say their funds are dropping to danger level?

Surely some of that excess income could be donated to struggling branches or local sanctuaries for the good of the animals?

The money branches pay goes into the Regional Fund which is used for grants and projects within a group of branches.

Each regional fund is controlled by delegates from branches in the relevant region.

The required payment from a branch varies on a sliding scale depending on the amount of reserves the branch has - so, for example, branches like ourselves (Cambridge & District) would only pay at the lowest rate of £525.

HQ match fund this payment, so unless a branch has really huge reserves it will eventually get back more than it puts in, because the Regional Fund is used to make grants to branches for projects - for example we got a grant some years ago to improve our rabbit foster accommodation.

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.asp?ContID=5018

Also, thank you all for your very kind offers of help. I'm panicking about all this. I don't feel I can take this on, to be honest. I think its asking too much of myself, btu I want to help, so I'm not sure what I'm doing right now. So I'm going to pause on replying to people who want to help for a bit.

If people want to help with fundraising for Martlesham their time would probably be most efficiently used by joining up with Suffolk East & Ipswich's existing fundraising group.

There are details on their website:

http://www.ipswich-rspca.org.uk/Volunteering.html

That's obviously only for local people. However, that's not bringing in enough revenue, although anything anyone can offer would be appreciated. :)

My mum came up with quite a good idea which I'm going to put to my Supervisor, but they need some hefty money, really hefty money.

I think they have no idea of the absolutely abysmal euthanasia rates in most US shelters.

Would they like to see 80% - yes 80% - of animals entering shelters being killed in this country?

Back