• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our RSPCA is facing closure over financial issues. UD post 33- anyone able to help?

Our RSPCA is facing closure over fonancial issues

Bunniemum:wave:is that the West essex branch that is closing:cry:if so then what a shame as they were so helpful when i rescued a stray cat and they took him in:)
Trouble is the head office are run as a buisness:shock:they want to make a profit :evil:this is at the expence of the smaller branches who are self funded:cry:RSPCA has such a bad name in animal welfare now that they are no longer getting donations:lol:so the small branches get yarred with the same brush even though they work really hard to provide care/rehoming:cry:

Bunniemum:wave:is that the West essex branch that is closing:cry:if so then what a shame as they were so helpful when i rescued a stray cat and they took him in:)
Trouble is the head office are run as a buisness:shock:they want to make a profit :evil:this is at the expence of the smaller branches who are self funded:cry:RSPCA has such a bad name in animal welfare now that they are no longer getting donations:lol:so the small branches get yarred with the same brush even though they work really hard to provide care/rehoming:cry:

Perhaps there may be a way of bringing this subject to the attention of more people. Maybe this could encourage donations to be made to the smaller branches.

Our RSPCA is facing closure over finacial issues

Does anyone know if the small branches have to pay head office for using the RSPCA name? or if they have to hand over part of any donations they may receive?:?maybe it would be better or thm to start up again as a rescue under their own name:)

I live a stone's throw from this Rescue, and the facilities for the rabbits is fabulous. The rabbits in care are very happy, lovely enclosures, always very clean and well cared for buns. The staff will also take time to bond up a rabbit to live alongside a resident one.

However. PinkPaws has taken rabbits turned away from this Rescue 'through lack of space'. One of our volunteers took along some newspapers - and came away with a female young cat, via a distraught owner in the carpark. I have supported (both by homechecking, and helping to clean out rabbit enclosures through lack of staff in the past) this Centre. I must admit, the gesture has not been appreciated. I I took along fresh food (freshly chopped organic greens, chopped carrots, picked dandelions.. to be abruptly told 'rabbits do not eat fresh food - they eat pellets' .. and the bag just thrown to one side :roll:

Due to a distraught phone call via a Receptionist, I took in 5 week old babies to hand rear, as they were to be PTS at the Centre. 'They had no chance'.... I believe in giving an animal a chance - even if by staying up day and night results in them not making it - they didn't - but they were given that chance.

Food donated to this Rescue is sold cheaply in the Reception area - food donated to feed the animals in care. It's quality food - I am shooting myself in the foot here - as I won't be able to go and do this now - but I have stocked up for PinkPaws animals by buying this food. However, I am not made to feel comfortable by doing so - one time, I was followed by a Volunteer, looking over my shoulder, costing up what I was buying - very uncomfortable!! I always give more than what is totalled in cost.

Locally, people do not find the Centre welcoming - they are made to feel inadequate making enquiries sometimes.. I can understand this by the reception I sometimes receive.
I have fostered chinchillas, rabbits and cats for this Centre - no, I wouldn't again..

I really, really hope they gain the financial support they need - but locally, I think a more friendly approach - a more welcoming approach - would boost local support xx

I live a stone's throw from this Rescue, and the facilities for the rabbits is fabulous. The rabbits in care are very happy, lovely enclosures, always very clean and well cared for buns. The staff will also take time to bond up a rabbit to live alongside a resident one.

However. PinkPaws has taken rabbits turned away from this Rescue 'through lack of space'. One of our volunteers took along some newspapers - and came away with a female young cat, via a distraught owner in the carpark. I have supported (both by homechecking, and helping to clean out rabbit enclosures through lack of staff in the past) this Centre. I must admit, the gesture has not been appreciated. I I took along fresh food (freshly chopped organic greens, chopped carrots, picked dandelions.. to be abruptly told 'rabbits do not eat fresh food - they eat pellets' .. and the bag just thrown to one side :roll:

Due to a distraught phone call via a Receptionist, I took in 5 week old babies to hand rear, as they were to be PTS at the Centre. 'They had no chance'.... I believe in giving an animal a chance - even if by staying up day and night results in them not making it - they didn't - but they were given that chance.

Food donated to this Rescue is sold cheaply in the Reception area - food donated to feed the animals in care. It's quality food - I am shooting myself in the foot here - as I won't be able to go and do this now - but I have stocked up for PinkPaws animals by buying this food. However, I am not made to feel comfortable by doing so - one time, I was followed by a Volunteer, looking over my shoulder, costing up what I was buying - very uncomfortable!! I always give more than what is totalled in cost.

Locally, people do not find the Centre welcoming - they are made to feel inadequate making enquiries sometimes.. I can understand this by the reception I sometimes receive.
I have fostered chinchillas, rabbits and cats for this Centre - no, I wouldn't again..

I really, really hope they gain the financial support they need - but locally, I think a more friendly approach - a more welcoming approach - would boost local support xx

Without saying anything about the rest of that, what do you think they could do, specifically, that could make them more welcoming/approachable?

Lots!! especially locally, as I think that's where the support, both finantially and homing wise, would come from ;)
Firstly, a more welcoming. listening approach when people visit, or phone. I am sorry, but it's a very 'holier than thou' attitude there..
I have had a number of people come to PinkPaws simply through the abrubt manner they've received, I'm afraid. Saying that, some lovely PinkPaws cats have found wonderful homes because of it!!

The fact that they are independent, not nationally funded also needs to be made clearer. People think the RSPCA has 'loads of money' due to the donations that go directly to the 'national 'pot' - not the local one..

Ohhhh.... I could go on and on!!:D

I just want to see animals in homes, and done responsibly.. the Centre does this! - Just needs to not be so... uptight about it?

Link doesn't work as we do not use the Internet for homing anymore - we are now only locally based xx

:wave: yes that's right, they're linked with Chestnut cat rescue too. Actually I checked earlier, and amazingly they're now able to continue for another six months, due to a very kind person giving them a large donation after their frantic appeal.

Our RSPCA is facing closure over funding issues

OMG that,s awful:cry:they are not that far away from me and are the only one that,s local as no other rescue covers this area:cry:I came past Chestnuts the other day:)I haven,t been in there as i would probably come home with another pussy:oops:WEST essex have such a good name round here:)i am really upset that they may have to close:cry:

Haven't read all through the thread but, I have long been of the opinion that the RSPCA should become a government funded organisation or local council at least, we should all pay an extra 10p on national insurance or something like that, given 'we' the 'public' cause the problem in the first place, I also think that given the lack of adequate legislation regarding animal welfare/breeding etc that it's about time we as a nation set a precedent and took control over what is an area of great ethical importance.

The RSPCA should be empowered at least to local council level and have the ability to fine, set licensing fee's for breeders etc in my view. Maybe it's something that could be overseen / funded at local council level which would then provide a balance to the level of requirements for each area. Long way off probably given they are only 'animals' and there are much more pressing things like oooh funding for Christmas lights and flower pots etc:roll:

Having now spoken to my Supervisor, she said that the Centre could do with someone/people who would be willing, and have enough time to organise a large scale fund raiser (she mentioned a Ball, I asked for other ideas and she is going to get back to me in due course).

I have time, and I'm willing, but its not anything I've done before and wouldn't know the best way to go around things. I couldn't, definitely couldn't, do this alone.

Are there people about who would be willing to help get involved in something like that? Jo?

What sort of help do they need? I've helped to organised events for work socials, but never a charity ball. :D

Er, I guess if we did manage to pull pepole together, we would essentially form the committee and do it all. The less people, the more each individual would have to do. But someone doesn't necessarily have to be within reaching distance of the Centre, they could be anywhere.

I would love to help. But I am having trouble going out but anything I could do, I would. :wave:

I could probably get the social club opposite me if a venue was needed for something and as my dad is on the committee over there.......

I'd be happy to help in any way I can.
Just pm me if you need me to do anything.

Could always hold a raffle/some sort of thing to raise more money at the ball. Then could phone around and ask companies to donate prizes.
I dunno if that would work but could be an idea, sorry if that sounds stupid!

Or the local primary school holds an auction on their fete days where people offer things/services and then they get bid on. It's always a fun way to raise money for the school!
So things that get offered are like......
A box of homegrown veg
A haircut from a local hairdresser
1 nights babysitting

So again sorry if that sounds silly but it raises good money when it gets done here.

Back