• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Osteoarthritis & pain management

demikaijuu

Warren Scout
George is now 11 and a half, and has for the last couple of months been being treated with a combination of medications for osteoarthritis. He’s currently on a combination of Loxicom, tramadol and gabapentin - and although he seems to have some ‘better days’ I’m worried that we’re at the point of making the decision about putting him to sleep.

I love him so much and the thought of ringing the vet tomorrow is breaking my heart, but he’s been dragging his back legs more today and isn’t as interested in treats/food. He’s also had to have a bunny butt clean because the arthritis has made it difficult to keep himself clean.

I’m just very sad that it might be time. I know with him being a bunny he’ll be hiding his pain and the most important thing to me is that he isn’t in pain or suffering - but he’s been my best little bunny mate for 11 years.

I am very sorry to hear that George is now struggling a lot with arthritic pain despite being on a lot of medication. You know him best and are best placed to judge his quality of life. Sometimes the last act of love we can do for our Bunny friend is to let them go. I know how heartbreaking that decision is though, having had to do it numerous times over the last 25 years :cry:

Thanks for the good vibes - had a chat with the vet this morning, he seems to have perked up a little overnight so we’re trialling him on a slightly higher dose of gabapentin over the next couple of days and seeing how that goes. Obviously if there’s no improvement or he’s still in pain I’ll be taking him straight in but he’s currently just chilling in his space and eating hay!

Back