• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

orion ate chocolate :(

I'm sorry you and Orion are in this situation. Hoping he'll clear the chocolate out of his system quickly and recover completely.

My daughter's dog is an absolute hoover, I'm constantly having to keep an eye open for wherever she puts her nose because it's likely she'll slurp up something she shouldn't have. She can find the tiniest scrap of food, good for her or not, and then it goes straight in her mouth before you can stop her. (And if you try you'll get a growl and a lip curl.) If a box of sweets needed rescue from under an avalanche she'd have it in record time, but then you'd have to rescue them from her! :roll:

Thinking of you and Orion, that little scallywag. xxxx

I'm so shaken up rn. I really thought we'd lost him

I go back to check on him, hes lying in the dirt box, on his side, eyes rolled into his head. i can't see him breathing. obviously in panic I call out to him, nothing, me opening the pen? nothing. only once I touched him did he seem to become alert. I guess he was in a really deep sleep. but jesus christ. he looked exactly like Luna when she passed away. his eyes rolled back, I could only see the whites, no nose twitching.

he didn't seem to get why I was crying and shaking and looked at me like "you disturbed my sleep"

he isn't any better, honestly. he's eaten some pellet and a bit of kale but he is firmly planted in his dig box (dirt = warmth, even tho I've got the heating on for him). not interested in much else.

idek what to do. I'm second guessing if its the right decision at home. what if I do lose him? what if next time I walk in the room and that isn't him sleeping but him gone?? he honestly looked dead. didnt look like a "normal" flop. gah.

but at the vets he's so stressed so whats to say if that only serves to worsen him? they can't do much else than I can rn.. monitor and that's that. at least he's comfortable here.

idk :( I'm so upset. one tiny unlucky incident that he slips through the smallest gap and this is where we end up.

Sending you love...I can’t imagine what you’re going through right now but I can only say that we are here if you need us. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, no, what an awful scare! :( I'm so sorry that happened. I'm sorry he isn't doing any better, either... Since you're second guessing your decision to keep him at home, maybe you can ask the vets what they think?

((((((Huge hugs)))))) I hate moments like that. She's not a rabbit but Jenna has given me a few scares like this recently where she's just so deeply out that I can pick her up, limp, and she's hard to waken. :( It's awful.

Doubling vibes that he'll turn around soon and begin feeling better and there's no more scary episodes. xxxxx

So many hugs Codie :(

Unfortunately my rexes seem to have a death wish too when it comes to eating stuff :( they've eaten a lot of different things all accidents and I'm mega careful. In the past we used some tablet I can't remember the name my Vet gave it to us to absorb toxins maybe...? Anyway we always monitored at home except for once with Fleur, and I have to say I wish I'd kept her at home then too. I think you're doing the right thing and the absolute best thing for him. I know if I was him I'd wanna be at home in my bed if the treatment was exactly the same at home compared to in a hospital xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Oh, no, what an awful scare! :( I'm so sorry that happened. I'm sorry he isn't doing any better, either... Since you're second guessing your decision to keep him at home, maybe you can ask the vets what they think?

This is a good idea, I think. Sending lots more vibes and hugs xx

thank you all for your vibes, i genuinely really appreciate it ❤

when i saw the vet earlier today (he told us his lunch break was not as important as seeing Ori in for a checkup and I am so thankful for their kindness, honestly), with how nervous he was he recommended (providing i feel comfortable) to monitor at home. he saw a real risk in Orion possibly deteriorating due to the stress of kennels and new people, considering he refused to be anywhere but by my side. they said there's nothing more they could do than me at home - outside of a possible IV but he was very well hydrated from the vets perspective. hence why (just like last night) we opted for at home.

i think i just feel really shaken up from earlier. none of my rabbits have ever been in that deep of a sleep to the point their noses don't twitch and they're totally unresponsive. of course. the passing of Luna is still raw in my mind, I opted to be with her, I needed that, but he just mimicked how she looked after passing so well. the panic I had when he didn't respond to my voice or words. he only moved because I went to scoop him up. gah. i think that's why i'm second guessing him being at home rn. my BF & vet agrees its the best for him rn but i can't shake that sheer panic and grief at believing we had lost him.

i can't tell if this stasis is from the chocolate or something else. he's so nervous today. I turned on the washing machine and he looked terrified. the vet appointment today too - he was unusually nervy on his vaccs but I put that down to being alone. but today he was trembling. whites of his eyes. he looked like we were toturing him honestly :s the pet remedy is almost out I think so I guess I need some more

idk, I just feel overwhelmed :( my own physical health rn isn't helping. and i feel extremely guilty every day that we haven't found a suitable friend for him yet. i've had issues finding a rex (allergies) and its clear he needs a friend. i know i'm doing my best and spending days checking and calling. its not like i'm ignoring it or whatnot. but he's clingy (too clingy), sulks when he's apart from us and just so much more nervous. he isn't coping being alone.

i almost managed to get two rex girls but passed up last second because both were identical chocolates with no way to tell them apart, as silly as it is, it worried me a lot. worried about telling them apart or making mistakes with medicine if they ever needed that.

i can report: he's moving around a bit more! he isn't eating very much. took a little bit more kale. he's had a lot more fibre first sticks than usual.. i figured those might be good for him as its mostly just hay? he nibbles on them a little. there's also some small poops in the box, i did see him attempt a strand of hay or two earlier but not much more

we were using those last night as "are you still hungry" testers as ofc, when an animal is at risk of poisoning, you start to double think everything. so every half an hour for those first important 4 hours he'd get a quarter of a stick just to ensure he was willing to come to us and eat. he gets them on a daily basis usually anyway since they're a fairly healthy treat. but now I wonder if that caused the stasis?? idk :( its not new food but certainly more than usual. but we also needed to check his appetite and movement somehow as when he'd lie down we'd start to worry ofc. even tho he lies down anyway, its just over thinking.

i hope he continues to improve, i feel exhausted tbh!!!

((((((Huge hugs)))))) I hate moments like that. She's not a rabbit but Jenna has given me a few scares like this recently where she's just so deeply out that I can pick her up, limp, and she's hard to waken. :( It's awful.

Doubling vibes that he'll turn around soon and begin feeling better and there's no more scary episodes. xxxxx

gosh :( i cant even imagine. idek what I would have done if he didn't respond when i touched him. that's gotta be so scary to deal with :(

thank you all for your vibes, i genuinely really appreciate it ❤

when i saw the vet earlier today (he told us his lunch break was not as important as seeing Ori in for a checkup and I am so thankful for their kindness, honestly), with how nervous he was he recommended (providing i feel comfortable) to monitor at home. he saw a real risk in Orion possibly deteriorating due to the stress of kennels and new people, considering he refused to be anywhere but by my side. they said there's nothing more they could do than me at home - outside of a possible IV but he was very well hydrated from the vets perspective. hence why (just like last night) we opted for at home.

i think i just feel really shaken up from earlier. none of my rabbits have ever been in that deep of a sleep to the point their noses don't twitch and they're totally unresponsive. of course. the passing of Luna is still raw in my mind, I opted to be with her, I needed that, but he just mimicked how she looked after passing so well. the panic I had when he didn't respond to my voice or words. he only moved because I went to scoop him up. gah. i think that's why i'm second guessing him being at home rn. my BF & vet agrees its the best for him rn but i can't shake that sheer panic and grief at believing we had lost him.

i can't tell if this stasis is from the chocolate or something else. he's so nervous today. I turned on the washing machine and he looked terrified. the vet appointment today too - he was unusually nervy on his vaccs but I put that down to being alone. but today he was trembling. whites of his eyes. he looked like we were toturing him honestly :s the pet remedy is almost out I think so I guess I need some more

idk, I just feel overwhelmed :( my own physical health rn isn't helping. and i feel extremely guilty every day that we haven't found a suitable friend for him yet. i've had issues finding a rex (allergies) and its clear he needs a friend. i know i'm doing my best and spending days checking and calling. its not like i'm ignoring it or whatnot. but he's clingy (too clingy), sulks when he's apart from us and just so much more nervous. he isn't coping being alone.

i almost managed to get two rex girls but passed up last second because both were identical chocolates with no way to tell them apart, as silly as it is, it worried me a lot. worried about telling them apart or making mistakes with medicine if they ever needed that.

i can report: he's moving around a bit more! he isn't eating very much. took a little bit more kale. he's had a lot more fibre first sticks than usual.. i figured those might be good for him as its mostly just hay? he nibbles on them a little. there's also some small poops in the box, i did see him attempt a strand of hay or two earlier but not much more

we were using those last night as "are you still hungry" testers as ofc, when an animal is at risk of poisoning, you start to double think everything. so every half an hour for those first important 4 hours he'd get a quarter of a stick just to ensure he was willing to come to us and eat. he gets them on a daily basis usually anyway since they're a fairly healthy treat. but now I wonder if that caused the stasis?? idk :( its not new food but certainly more than usual. but we also needed to check his appetite and movement somehow as when he'd lie down we'd start to worry ofc. even tho he lies down anyway, its just over thinking.

i hope he continues to improve, i feel exhausted tbh!!!
Since your vet agrees, it really does sound like you're doing the best thing by having Orion at home. It's so understandable that him sleeping so deeply scared you and is making you second guess yourself, since it seemed like something was really wrong with him or he had passed away. It does sound like it was very scary, especially with him looking like Luna did... :( It must be so hard, too, to see him being so nervous, and so terrified at the vets. It's possible that he's so nervous and scared because he is feeling unwell from the chocolate. With rabbits being prey animals, they must feel very vulnerable when they're feeling ill, and it sounds like the fact that he doesn't have Luna with him is making him feel extra vulnerable and nervous, too...

I'm sorry he's just not coping on his own, and that you're feeling so overwhelmed. It sounds like you're doing everything you can to find him a friend, and hopefully you'll succeed soon. I would've had the same worries that you did with the identical girls.

It's good that he's moving around a bit more. Hopefully that'll get his gut moving more and will make him a bit hungrier. I don't think it'll have been the fibafirst sticks that have made him unwell, even though he's had more than he usually gets. Like you said, they're mostly hay, and he's used to eating them, too, so I wouldn't expect those to give him any trouble. They sound like a good way to check his appetite. I really hope he'll feel better soon, and that you'll be able to get some rest, too, tonight. Lots and lots more vibes for Orion.

I hope Orion is doing better now . The Inspector was not a nervous Rabbit with one exception, travelling to and from and being at the Vets. So I totally get where you are coming from on that. The Inspector often needed to go onto oxygen he got himself into such a state at the Vets. In the end he always had home visits unless he needed surgery or scans. He was sedated just to get him there.

Sending loads more vibes for Orion BC, good news he's nibbling and pooping, really hope that continues and you can relax a bit xx

so I feel like he hasn't pooped very much - he also doesn't appear to be eating very much hay :s the hay looks untouched - okay, that's a lie, he threw it around the pen, but not much as been eaten.

he's still excited for pellet, ate his nightly veggies, enjoyed some critical care, enjoyed some hay cookies last night & still excited for fibre first sticks. ofc snubbing hay but nothing else could be a sign of a dental issue so I'll be monitoring closely. the idea of that feels kinda nuts as he eats so much hay I'm certain he's gonna explode. but ofc he's had a lot of other foods too. just the lack of poop is worrisome.

but he's quite active, we've had a number of huuuuge binkies today and he's in quite good spirits. has attacked my BF and my slippers so Orion is def coming through in terms of his usual behaviour!

he came to greet me this morning which def lifted my spirits :love: went from shuffling downstairs to instant mood lift when he came running over for some loving

Sounds like things could be getting there!

In my experiences hay is always the last thing they start eating normally again.

Sending vibes that he continues to improve x

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Back