• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis Advice

Beapig

Mama Doe
Hi everyone, hope you are all well. I haven't been on the forum for months...have had lots going on in my personal life. Thankfully the bunnies have been well during that time, up until today. Hamilton started to seem stasis-y after breakfast this morning. He ate brambles and hay but then seemed off. I took him to the vet and she said it was caught early, he still had noises in his tummy. She gave him some injections and he is inside with us. He ate a few herbs and leaves but not very much. Is there anything I could give him to perk up his appetite? The vet told us to give him critical care, I have managed to give him a small amount but he is really fighting it. He has been happy for me to syringe him water though.

Stasis has always been quite a common problem for Hamilton - he usually gets it a few times a year. He is 9 now as well, so an older bun. The last episode was in May. He's never had to be hospitalised or anything severe like that, it usually passes in 24 hours and then he is back to his normal self. But I just hate to see him so sad an uncomfortable. Is there anything else I could offer him to perk up his appetite? I was thinking maybe I could squeeze a bit of juice from a raspberry into the water to see if a little sugar perks him up? Or is that a bad idea?

I hope you're all well, I've missed reading about all of your bunnies on the forum. I've been having a bit of an up and down time in life the past year or so, so I've sort of just become the biggest hermit ever, even on the internet. I hope to get back on here properly in the future <3

Hi, good to hear from you, but I'm sorry that Hamilton is unwell.

I presume the vet gave you meds to continue with at home as well? Pain relief? None of my bunnies have ever liked the taste of Critical Care. I think you might have more success if you make your own blended mixture of watery pellets and veg/herbs. He might even take it from a bowl. I think the squeezed raspberry in water wouldn't hurt and might encourage him to drink more. Syringed fluids will be beneficial though. Also continue to tempt him with foods that he likes.

I hope he starts to feel better soon.

Hi, good to hear from you, but I'm sorry that Hamilton is unwell.

I presume the vet gave you meds to continue with at home as well? Pain relief? None of my bunnies have ever liked the taste of Critical Care. I think you might have more success if you make your own blended mixture of watery pellets and veg/herbs. He might even take it from a bowl. I think the squeezed raspberry in water wouldn't hurt and might encourage him to drink more. Syringed fluids will be beneficial though. Also continue to tempt him with foods that he likes.

I hope he starts to feel better soon.

Thank you Omi <3

She didn't give us any medication to bring home - she gave him two injections, I believe one was a gut stimulant and the other was pain relief. Making our own critical care type blend is a good idea - the pellets I have break down really easily so I will try that now. I'll try the flavoured water as well. Fingers crossed it won't be long now before he bounces back.

I agree with Omi's advice. Hope Hamilton makes a full recovery soon. As always, it'd be good to understand what is the cause of his stasis though often it does remain a mystery. If he isn't eating properly by tomorrow I'd request more pain meds.

it'd be lovely if you felt able to play on the forum more - i missed you the past year -on the gardening thread & seeing your photogenic bunnies

Sorry, I can't remember, but has Hamilton ever had dental issues? I presume the vet examined his teeth as far as she could?

I agree with j&b, we need your input on the gardening thread :) I've been watching lots of Charles Dowding's videos lately - some are very good.

I agree with Omi's advice. Hope Hamilton makes a full recovery soon. As always, it'd be good to understand what is the cause of his stasis though often it does remain a mystery. If he isn't eating properly by tomorrow I'd request more pain meds.

it'd be lovely if you felt able to play on the forum more - i missed you the past year -on the gardening thread & seeing your photogenic bunnies

Thank you J&B <3 I've truly missed you guys too. Lots has been going on, but to summarise, I sort of feel burned out from the pandemic and how much it has turned everything upside down. It's like I don't feel that I have enough energy for anything other than the essentials anymore. It sucks, and I hope I can/will keep trying to shake it off.

I miss the gardening thread!! Need to go over there now and see what everyone has been talking about.

In the past, I have found that Hamilton's stasis can be triggered by sudden changes in temperature or humidity. He is very sensitive to it. It's funny because I myself can get bad headaches if the humidity suddenly changes - I wonder if some animals are sensitive to it too. He has been outdoors his whole life, in the long term I would really love to have them more indoor with a little cat flap into an outdoor run, but that won't happen until we move house, and with the housing market being the way it is at the moment, I dread to think when we will finally be brave enough to do so!

Sorry, I can't remember, but has Hamilton ever had dental issues? I presume the vet examined his teeth as far as she could?

I agree with j&b, we need your input on the gardening thread :) I've been watching lots of Charles Dowding's videos lately - some are very good.

He has never had dental issues thankfully. She looked at his teeth today and thought they seemed fine.

I do love Charles Dowding! I visited his garden in 2019 on one of his open days in September, it was 30 degrees C, the sky was pure blue and everyone there was just star-struck at how amazing his garden was. It is in a very beautiful village too :)

The three big items for stasis are pain relief, hydration-gut contents dehydrate first and make material difficult to move along, and syringe feed/tempting with herbs and favorites.
Flavoring water ok as long as sugars are kept low.
You can try to flavor critical care too. I also grind pellets and mix with or instead of cc. Eating stimulates gut movement..
Does he have any output?
Sending vibes he improves quickly

Sending lots of vibes, I hope he improves quickly. It’s worth bearing in mind they can’t see all the teeth in a concious rabbit completely so sometimes they can miss spurs. I find RU a good escape from real life sometimes, hope to see you in here more :wave:

Thank you for the vibes everybody. He has taken in a fair amount water but hasn't eaten anything since the CC last night. He kind of nudged at the food but hasn't eaten anything. No output from what I can see :( We have kept him in overnight in our bedroom. We'll be taking him back to the vet first thing. I'll ask them to look at his teeth again. We have metacam in stock, would I be safe to give him some or should I wait for instruction from the vet? I wonder if he isn't eating because the pain relief from yesterday at 4.00pm has worn off.

We cannot advise re the administration of a POM ie Metacam, only a Vet can do that.

Did the Vet check blood glucose yesterday ? Fluid therapy, either IV or SQ is very important when treating gut stasis.

Is he passing urine ?

Morning, I’m sorry Hamilton had got statis. I’d definitely take back to vets & might have to stay in. Will he eat any herbs? I had to take my girl to the vets quite a lot recently & get extra pain injections & gut stimulation ones. Did the vets give critical care? It’s such a worry I know. I know his teeth have been checked but Iv had a vet miss it & my girl had spurs. She has to get dental. We’re the brambles the berries? If so the fruit could be causing it. Some things in diet can trigger it. I think he may need to go in & stay at the vets. I really hope you get it sorted. Sending love xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your bun sounds a bit like mine re stress of being handled etc...

On diet, I have found since feeding ours Celery we haven't had any bouts of stasis (though my rabbit is currently ill at the moment I think it's teeth issues...),

Hope Hamilton gets better.

I'm so sorry Hamilton is unwell. :( I hope the vet today can maybe find out what's causing it, and will give Hamilton more medication. Pain relief is so important when they don't want to eat... Sending him so, so many vibes.

If you can get an early appointment with the vet, I would think it better not to give him pain relief beforehand. It will provide for a more informative examination by the vet.

Sending him loads more vibes.

I'm pleased to report that Hammy boy is 100% back to normal now. The vet gave him more gut meds, pain killers and antibiotics. He showed no signs of improvement when inside, but as soon as we put him back outside, he did some poops and ate some greens. I think they can get stressed from being in an unfamiliar environment. I didn't feel comfortable leaving him out the night before as we were due a frost, but I think he literally held in his poop and wee all night, despite having a clean litter tray, because he knew it wasn't 'home'. Which is good to know for the future.

Thank you so much everyone for your vibes, I was very stressed yesterday morning and it really helped to have some kind words from the folks of RU <3

Back