• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

orion ate chocolate :(

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
last thing I wanted today :(

out of sheer **** luck, Orion escapes thru a really small gap (I didn't put the barrier well enough). runs up stairs. runs into our bedroom. runs to the other side of the bedroom. locates an **unopened** bar of chocolate. manages to open the bar and eats the first row.

I called the vets already and I've opted for at home monitoring as he is currently very bright in himself. I worry bringing him to the vets may cause issues due to stress and slowing down of the gi tract.

not a lot can be done rn, he can't throw up. essentially rabbits can either tolerate 3x the amount as dogs or 50x, so worst case, for the amount he ate he is in the danger zone of intoxication. but if he's at the higher end of handling it, then, we'll likely escape unscathed

first 4 hours matter the most. on watch rn for any lethargy, overheating or seizures. 5-30 hours he's out of the dangerzone a bit, might see some diarrhea but we should be okay. then 31-48 hours we're mostly okay but still need to be on alert. after 48 hours we can assume its all out of his system.

so ig no sleep for me tonight :(

he's very bright, responsive, he's got a very good appetite. I hope that continues

I remember reading on here someone's rabbit ate one of those large sized dairy milk bars and all was fine with lots of hay and the usual watchful waiting :thumb: Hope everything stays 'normal' for Orion, and hugs for you :)

As much as I know about this sort of thing, but chocolate isn't good. I would monitor as you are doing and as long as he stays bright and responsive then things are good.
Why do bunnies always pick weekends or friday nights to do these acts? It's like they know that vets fees go up expedentially at weekends.
Hugs to you and hope Orion is ok over the weekend. And keep the chocolate bars out of sight.
Craig x

its just such terrible luck :( I didn't put the barrier across, a tiny gap. he runs upstairs, into our bedroom, to the one specific spot where the unopened bar was, and gets into it..........nightmare

good news: he's eaten less than we thought. this little, ahem, brat, took a piece down from upstairs back to his pen as ig a snack for later. I saw him, after he came downstairs (heard his paws, got up, and yup there he is coming back and into his pen). he then hid this piece of chocolate under the log sticks as a snack for later? so I swear he knew this was bad, and hid from us. only reason we saw now is that my BF saw him yank smth from under the log sticks.... a piece of chocolate.

he's too smart for his own good!

As much as I know about this sort of thing, but chocolate isn't good. I would monitor as you are doing and as long as he stays bright and responsive then things are good.
Why do bunnies always pick weekends or friday nights to do these acts? It's like they know that vets fees go up expedentially at weekends.
Hugs to you and hope Orion is ok over the weekend. And keep the chocolate bars out of sight.
Craig x

I am extremely lucky my vet works weekends tbh!! they're also an OOH emergency service, which is handy. ofc OOH fees are still extreme but, at least weekends are normal fees so to speak. but they have all of Orion's information, and then its the same quality of care as the daytime team if I need them in an emergency. another reason I swapped to them (alongside vets4pets in my area just being..terrible)

Oh, no, I'm so sorry. What a worry... :( I'm glad he at least didn't eat as much as you initially thought. What a clever bunny, hiding some in his pen for later... Lots of vibes for Orion. I hope he'll get through these 48 okay and will be fine.

Wow a smart boy. Sending vibes that it works through his system ok!

Primrose used to go into a frenzy if I had chocolate in her presence, that and doritos! Honestly I swear they know what's bad for them!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

He’s a Rex, he did well not to eat the lot. If it was milk chocolate it’s less of an issue. Back in the old days before we knew anything about the dangers,we gave both our dogs human chocolate, Easter eggs included and neither had any ill effects at all. This was obviously more luck than anything else, but Rabbits have a much higher tolerance threshold for theobromine than dogs so hopefully Orion will be fine. He may have yucky cecotrophs for a few days, but that will hopefully be the worst that happens.

I hope he’s ok and that you have managed to get some sleep. It’s not your fault, these things happen. Sending hugs and vibes xx

Goodness what a piece of bad luck. Impressed by him hiding some for later and by your boyfriend noticing. Hope all is well today.

unfortunately he’s gone downhill. he snubbing food. still bright but refusing to eat anything. I’ve taken him to th vets instantly we I don’t want to wait for it to get bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, no... I'm so sorry he's gone downhill. It's good that you took him to the vets right away. So many vibes for him. I really hope he'll feel better soon.

Mine ate part of a lindor bunny before and she was absolutely fine, I did send her to the vet as I was super paranoid but they just monitored her.

I hope Orion makes a quick recovery, you've done the right thing.

thank you for all of your vibes x

back home now, we have gut stimulants. im sure he spat like, half out

I could have chosen to leave him at the vets but honestly.. he was terrified. shaking the entire time and we had to do the examination in a way that he was against me or he was just flipping out. personally I don't think leaving him there will aid him much with stress. granted they have IV fluids but I'm just as confident in my ability to care for him through stasis.

he's still quite bright, got put back in the stroller and began digging. I just think his tummy is upset from digesting lactose (or rather, it being in him when he can't digest it). I feel for him tbh. unsure if they can feel sick since they can't vomit but, he probably doesn't feel too good.

I'm gonna leave him to destress. litter box is clean to monitor output. if he's still snubbing food I'll attempt some force feeding later on. if he's no better tomorrow, I'll have to make a call on what we can do. tbh, the vets can't do a whole lot more than I can at this current moment (outside of IV but he isn't dehydrated atm, as far as the vet cal tell / there's little risk). ofc IV can help flush the system and help with stasis. but the stress for him. idk. its difficult.

I stayed up all night with him and then BF took over from 6am. woke me up at 11:30 to inform me about his refusal to eat. he was fine up until then. so that's 16.5 hours since he ate the chocolate. I'm unsure where (if at all ?) it would be in his digestive system rn.

vet was thorough. heartbeat was normal. temp normal. gut isn't gurgling much but it still feels "firm" (or as a stomach should). no sign of a blockage via feeling, he feels healthy. & yea, hes bright, alert, just doesn't want food :/ he's also feisty. so. I hope he just needs some time.

so while he gets over himself (kidding) I'm gonna go eat a sandwich and also feel sorry for myself at my hip.

Sending vibes for him!

Hopefully it's just a bit of upset from processing the chocolate and he bounces back soon.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

thank you for all of your vibes x

back home now, we have gut stimulants. im sure he spat like, half out

I could have chosen to leave him at the vets but honestly.. he was terrified. shaking the entire time and we had to do the examination in a way that he was against me or he was just flipping out. personally I don't think leaving him there will aid him much with stress. granted they have IV fluids but I'm just as confident in my ability to care for him through stasis.

he's still quite bright, got put back in the stroller and began digging. I just think his tummy is upset from digesting lactose (or rather, it being in him when he can't digest it). I feel for him tbh. unsure if they can feel sick since they can't vomit but, he probably doesn't feel too good.

I'm gonna leave him to destress. litter box is clean to monitor output. if he's still snubbing food I'll attempt some force feeding later on. if he's no better tomorrow, I'll have to make a call on what we can do. tbh, the vets can't do a whole lot more than I can at this current moment (outside of IV but he isn't dehydrated atm, as far as the vet cal tell / there's little risk). ofc IV can help flush the system and help with stasis. but the stress for him. idk. its difficult.

I stayed up all night with him and then BF took over from 6am. woke me up at 11:30 to inform me about his refusal to eat. he was fine up until then. so that's 16.5 hours since he ate the chocolate. I'm unsure where (if at all ?) it would be in his digestive system rn.

vet was thorough. heartbeat was normal. temp normal. gut isn't gurgling much but it still feels "firm" (or as a stomach should). no sign of a blockage via feeling, he feels healthy. & yea, hes bright, alert, just doesn't want food :/ he's also feisty. so. I hope he just needs some time.

so while he gets over himself (kidding) I'm gonna go eat a sandwich and also feel sorry for myself at my hip.
It sounds like you did the right thing, taking him back home with you instead of leaving him at the vets when he was so terrified and they can't do much more for him than you can at home right now. If he gets worse, you can always bring him back to the vets later, but hopefully that won't be necessary. I think rabbits can feel sick even though they can't vomit, or at least that's what a vet told me once, but some (all?) gut stimulants are also used as anti-nausea meds, I believe, so those could help with that. I'm glad he's bright and alert, and I'm sending him lots more vibes.

Only just caught your post BC, so sorry to hear about Orion, little tinker. Really hope he'll be feeling better soon, lots of vibes for him xxx

Back