• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions on Vets4Pets?

JessBun

Mama Doe
This is going to be a lengthy post, sorry. But I'd really like peoples honest opinions here.

I'm on the rabbit care plan with them (as well as having them insured) and I have to say so far I've been really disappointed. It's more of a customer service issue I suppose. I am thinking of switching to another vets as a result. Vets have been lovely, and the staff are polite most of the time but there seems a massive problem with organisation.

Whenever I book an appointment under the health care plan (which is covered or discounted) I make the receptionist aware at the time of making the booking that the bun is on the rabbit care plan, in some cases I've spoke to the receptionists 3 times before appt, made them all aware, and yet they still try to charge for me services that are covered or discounted at the actual time of appt, and we have to go through this rigramole each and every time that again, the rabbits are on the care plan. Does anyone else have this experience? Is it normal? I'm rather getting fed up of having to exclaim 'No! I'm on the rabbit care plan and this has been said several times now!' - it seems they are not even checking my account properly before trying to automatically charge me.

So Bea went in for her spay today. This has been booked for about 6 weeks. I had no idea I was supposed to receive a price estimate prior to surgery, so called yesterday to just check the cost was indeed what I was expecting and whether pain relief was going to be included in the price. To be asked by the receptionist 'Have you not received the estimate from the vet..?'. Erm, nope. So 7pm last night I get my estimate, with extra charges for bunny medical shirt etc. I didn't know if this was quite important (although it was optional) so I replied via email that I was not made aware of extra costs in regards to extra recommended (but optional) items and that if they are really recommended I would like to do them for Bea, so would have to post pone the spay to pay for these extras, unless they would let me pay the spay in full at the appointment, but pay for the extra recommended items afterwards.

My appt this morning was @ 9.30am. Queue phone call upon phone call, upon email, upon voicemail of panicked receptionist urging me to let me know if I was not coming from 08.45. They had asked me to phone them back, so I tried but it said the lines were shut until 9am... at which point I'm having to leave to get the bus with Bea. So all this is going on whilst I'm trying to prepare her, get her in carrier, double check bus trackers, pack her surgery lunch (fresh foods etc) see to my other bun, I just felt barraged.

Anyway, I pay for the spay prior to her going in, and again they try to charge me full price and I have to advise them yet again that no, she's on the care plan so gets a discounted price.

Then as I'm leaving, I try to book my buck in for his castration. They say they will phone me to make the appt, and as I'm leaving (half way down the reception room) shout in a panicked manner infront of other customers 'but you'll have to pay a 50% deposit before!'. Eh?! The bun was rehomed from pets at home as a young bun, so they give you a free voucher for neuturing, this was advised to them. Not only that, but I didn't have to pay 50% deposit for Bea's spay. I'm thinking they're being funny because of the rigramole this morning, but AIBU it's really not my fault they are emailing me estimates for a spay with extras on top I wasn't aware of, 13 or so hours before I'll be on my way to the appt? I was too taken aback to ask why the sudden change, all I replied was 'No. He's a rehome from here, as per the records his castration is free'.

Prior to this, there was a huge upset over their vaccinations. I had went in, in person to register them for the care plan, and was told no, you do it when you arrive at the appointment. :shock: I thought this was odd but never questioned. So booked in for the vaccinations. Went along, wasn't allowed near reception (as you have to call up prior) so vet came straight out, took buns, and I was told I could go to reception to pay. Went along, they again try to charge me near on £150 and when I say no, I arranged to join the rabbit care plan and was told to register at the appt. I got a stern look 'Did you tell us this before the rabbits went in, because the vets just done a health check and everything' - I say: 'yes, on the phone and in person when I tried to sign up.' Receptionist says: 'No, did you tell us this when you came in today with the rabbits, because the vets done a health check now?!'. I responded that apparantly the vets do a health check under the plan anyway and I was told to do this, and it seems a really awkward way of signing up.

She mumbled something about she doesn't know what she can do, because vets done this and that (health check, basically) and I stand there for 25 minutes whilst she huffs and puffs about it, but eventually sorts it out for me.

AIBU this is all really unprofessional? I feel like a charity case trying to get the treatments etc I'm signed up for, and do pay for monthly. Wondering if others have had similar? If you feel it's wrong, would you complain? How? As you can see I really struggle with 'to the point' concise letters :oops: I'm starting to find it really embarrassing having to what feels like, argue my case (with other customers in earshot) whenever I get my buns preventative care.

IME each branch of Vets4Pets is very different. It is a large franchise, how good each branch is is 100% dependent on the Vets working there. One would think that the Branches in PAH would be likely to be Rabbit Savvy, sadly this is not always the case.

If you feel you have the strength you are perfectly entitled to submit a formal complaint. This HAS to be addressed by the Practice Manager and Clinical Lead Vet. If you were not to be satisfied with their response then contact these folk for help

https://www.vetmediation.co.uk/

I'm sorry that you have had all this upset, it's bad enough having a furry going in for a procedure, let alone the stress of having to repeat yourself and push for your rights. I absolutely agree with Jane, get your breath back, and send that email setting everything out like you just did in your post. I would give them so long to reply before taking it higher. Good luck and I hope buns are ok xx

I currently use a Vets4Pets for my small pets and have used a few branches in the past, I agree they are all different as many are independently owned so don't have to follow the 'rules' of the franchise. I use one not inside a P@H, but have also worked in one which was inside. It is unprofessional they keep missing the plan, but the system should be it automatically, we used to have a few issues with this but we should always check if there's a plan and discounts have come on accordingly. I think the 50% upfront for castration is new and down to Covid I've seen some vets do it, where I work now (not V4P) for certain things we've had to start taking a deposit as we've had a huge influx of new clients/people wanting to book in whilst they're furloughed and since we're on a limited schedule if they don't arrive there is a big waiting list for people that could've had that appt. Of course they should've checked it was on an adoption voucher though. I would perhaps email your concerns about the plan discounts always being missed etc, we couldn't register animals up to the care plan until they're first visit but also I can't see why a health check was an issue as they should get this anyway so like you I can't understand their problem there! I hope you get sorted

I agree - all branches are different as it's a franchise (so all run by different individuals under the Vets4Pets banner). You definitely have grounds to complain. The customer service you have received is poor. They really push for people to sign up for the Health Care Plans - so I would expect all staff to be familiar with them. It's not exactly a one-off - there must be lots of clients with these plans, so it makes you wonder if they are being overcharged if the admin is like this every time.

Stand your ground. Make the points you have in this post. Send it to the right people (as Jane said), ask for what you want to happen as a result of the complaint (eg. official apology (written or verbal?) for your distress / time spent sorting it at each appointment / training for reception staff so they don't put others through this), keep a copy, follow it up (in a couple of weeks?) if you don't get an appropriate response.

So sorry - you don't need all this as well.

I think that's appalling behaviour and would definitely be putting a complaint in. The only V4P I've any experience with is the one who did Odin's first jabs, because he had a voucher from PAH. She was fantastic, as were the receptionists, but it was her own practice and very small.
It is not good enough to be repeatedly charging for things when it is their own policy to offer the care plan - in my experience of other similar situations you'd be asked if you are a member of the care plan before they give you the quote, if they haven't already looked it up.
As for the estimate, did they not send out a consent form in advance to sign? Mine always give you a consent form with estimate when the appointment is booked, it gets posted out if you book by phone. The only exception is if I say I am happy to just sign it on the day, but they know me well.

Thank you for your all input folks.

It seems I'm alone in the experience I've had, and it is cause for complain. I will do this, when I'm feeling better from the loss of Bea. Dollyanna - no, the only form I ever received was the estimate the night prior, at 7pm. If the receptionist hadn't picked up on that due to my call, I wouldn't have even received that.

Thank you for your all input folks.

It seems I'm alone in the experience I've had, and it is cause for complain. I will do this, when I'm feeling better from the loss of Bea. Dollyanna - no, the only form I ever received was the estimate the night prior, at 7pm. If the receptionist hadn't picked up on that due to my call, I wouldn't have even received that.

So did you ever sign a consent form? If not there is some serious issues going on, the following is taken from the RCVS site - I've made the relevant bit in bold (I'll add the link to that afterwards so you can have a look at all of the expected standards and code of conduct, might help you to write your complaint when you are ready).

Informed consent

11.2 Informed consent, which is an essential part of any contract, can only be given by a client who has had the opportunity to consider a range of reasonable treatment options (including euthanasia), with associated fee estimates, and had the significance and main risks explained to them. For non-urgent procedures, the consent discussion should take place in advance of the day of the treatment/procedure where possible. The client’s consent to treatment should be obtained unless delay would adversely affect the animal's welfare.

The following matters should be considered during the discussion with the client to ensure informed consent:

The nature, purpose, and benefits of any treatment or procedures;
The likely outcomes of any treatment or procedures with a clear indication of both common and serious risks presented in a way that the client understands (e.g. explain any clinical terms);
The veterinary surgeon should avoid making assumptions, for example, about a client’s financial constraints or a client’s understanding of the possible side effects, complications or the failure to achieve the desired outcome with agreed treatment;
Financial estimates, and an agreement on any financial limits. This should also be documented on the consent form, or on an attached detailed estimate;

Where appropriate an explanation that the diagnosis is tentative subject to further investigation;
Checking with the client whether they have any questions or concerns regarding the diagnosis, treatment and costs;
Informing the client (where appropriate) that other treatment is available that may have greater potential benefit than those available at the practice (see Chapter 1, Referrals and second opinions); and
Ensuring, where possible, that consent can be obtained from the client for any deviations from the treatment plan (including costs), therefore where possible ensuring that the practice has the client’s emergency contact details and that these are up to date.

https://www.rcvs.org.uk/setting-sta...upporting-guidance/communication-and-consent/

If you don't get a totally satisfactory response from complaining to the practice in question then I'd be considering taking it higher, either V4P as an organisation (because presumably they don't want their name ruined) or even the RCVS. I am not keen on reporting people to governing bodies, but not gaining informed consent including costs in advance is a massive breach in my book, it is one of the most basic requirements to any surgery.

So did you ever sign a consent form? If not there is some serious issues going on, the following is taken from the RCVS site - I've made the relevant bit in bold (I'll add the link to that afterwards so you can have a look at all of the expected standards and code of conduct, might help you to write your complaint when you are ready).

Informed consent

11.2 Informed consent, which is an essential part of any contract, can only be given by a client who has had the opportunity to consider a range of reasonable treatment options (including euthanasia), with associated fee estimates, and had the significance and main risks explained to them. For non-urgent procedures, the consent discussion should take place in advance of the day of the treatment/procedure where possible. The client’s consent to treatment should be obtained unless delay would adversely affect the animal's welfare.

The following matters should be considered during the discussion with the client to ensure informed consent:

The nature, purpose, and benefits of any treatment or procedures;
The likely outcomes of any treatment or procedures with a clear indication of both common and serious risks presented in a way that the client understands (e.g. explain any clinical terms);
The veterinary surgeon should avoid making assumptions, for example, about a client’s financial constraints or a client’s understanding of the possible side effects, complications or the failure to achieve the desired outcome with agreed treatment;
Financial estimates, and an agreement on any financial limits. This should also be documented on the consent form, or on an attached detailed estimate;

Where appropriate an explanation that the diagnosis is tentative subject to further investigation;
Checking with the client whether they have any questions or concerns regarding the diagnosis, treatment and costs;
Informing the client (where appropriate) that other treatment is available that may have greater potential benefit than those available at the practice (see Chapter 1, Referrals and second opinions); and
Ensuring, where possible, that consent can be obtained from the client for any deviations from the treatment plan (including costs), therefore where possible ensuring that the practice has the client’s emergency contact details and that these are up to date.

https://www.rcvs.org.uk/setting-sta...upporting-guidance/communication-and-consent/

If you don't get a totally satisfactory response from complaining to the practice in question then I'd be considering taking it higher, either V4P as an organisation (because presumably they don't want their name ruined) or even the RCVS. I am not keen on reporting people to governing bodies, but not gaining informed consent including costs in advance is a massive breach in my book, it is one of the most basic requirements to any surgery.

Thank you so much for your help Dollyanna.

I only received the cost estimate (which had a part to be signed) the night prior at 7pm, as I say the spay had been booked in weeks in advance, as I had to plan for the cost. This form had a part to sign, but I didn't sign it as it was the night prior, they still took her for her spay and didn't query this.

I signed something on the day, just as they were taking her in for her spay. This was a different form, and to be honest, I had the vet nurse literally stood over me, so I didn't have chance to even read it.

I know. I know. NEVER sign something without reading it prior. I would have liked to have taken time to take this home and read it thoroughly in a non-distractive setting, not a few minutes before they took her away, in the middle of reception, with a vet nurse there. I have pretty bad anxiety, and at this point, was struggling very badly with it that taking in written information would have been extremely difficult.

Thank you so much for your help Dollyanna.

I only received the cost estimate (which had a part to be signed) the night prior at 7pm, as I say the spay had been booked in weeks in advance, as I had to plan for the cost. This form had a part to sign, but I didn't sign it as it was the night prior, they still took her for her spay and didn't query this.

I signed something on the day, just as they were taking her in for her spay. This was a different form, and to be honest, I had the vet nurse literally stood over me, so I didn't have chance to even read it.

I know. I know. NEVER sign something without reading it prior. I would have liked to have taken time to take this home and read it thoroughly in a non-distractive setting, not a few minutes before they took her away, in the middle of reception, with a vet nurse there. I have pretty bad anxiety, and at this point, was struggling very badly with it that taking in written information would have been extremely difficult.

In all the years I've used my vets, they have never not given me a consent and estimate form in advance. When I book by phone they post it out to me. The only time was when I booked Odin in recently, we discussed it on the phone and I was asked if I wanted the forms sent out - I said that I'd sign them on the day as I felt comfortable with that, but I strongly doubt they would even have offered that if they didn't know me as well as they do.

It isn't really about signing the form - you would have done that even if you'd had time - it's about following protocol and their own code of conduct. If she was booked in well in advance then there is no excuse for not receiving the forms within a couple of days of booking - time to get them in the post basically. Regardless of the outcome, you should not have been put in that situation in my opinion. You cannot give informed consent without the information and time to process it.

I think if you really like this vet and expect to have quite a lot of contact with them then it is worth complaining. Complaining will likely lead to an apology but if this vet practice is rubbish at admin probably because of some incompetent person or people then that is not likely to change. I'd be looking around for a better run vet practice to see if you can find a rabbit savvy one.

Back