• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Only one thing to do with a wet pussy

Aw, poor Freddie 😥 We had one like him...not Maine Coon but always very matted. His name was Fuzzy, oddly enough. He was only shaved maybe twice in his life because he hated that 60 mile round trip to the vet and didn't fare well with sedation. But he was always a mess and it grieves me still to think how uncomfy he must've been for most of his life. 😥

Oh no, poor Fuzzy. We're lucky that the gabapentin is enough to take the edge off for Freddie. And it's only a short car ride. But it will impact decisions we might have to make for him in the future (we know he wouldn't cope well with intensive hands on veterinary care, for example) so I can understand you were between a rock and a hard place with Fuzzy.

The cat we looked after while her owners move house was officially Isobel, but responded best to Floof. She was a small Maine Coon (so still enormous) same colour as Freddie, and she got a maty bum that I could just about tackle while stroking her head if I let her play with the brush as well, but I still had to keep my wits about me! I can't even imagine trying to do Freddie, he's so big, he's got a lot of reach with them paws, I bet!

It's a shame that the Maine Coon breed characteristics have been so badly bred out by humans. It was a wild type coat, well adapted to living outside without matting or being affected by the weather. We have turned it into a standard longhair fluffy coat, rather than the 2 layer one that nature designed. Even the size and shape of the cat has changed a lot in the last 40 years since it came to the UK. I hardly recognise it anymore. They are still magnificent cats, just not a 'true' MC any more.

The cat we looked after while her owners move house was officially Isobel, but responded best to Floof. She was a small Maine Coon (so still enormous) same colour as Freddie, and she got a maty bum that I could just about tackle while stroking her head if I let her play with the brush as well, but I still had to keep my wits about me! I can't even imagine trying to do Freddie, he's so big, he's got a lot of reach with them paws, I bet!
He's got a super long reach... and very sharp teeth too. Not only that but he keeps attacking even if we back off or try to walk away so it's really difficult. And painful. 🤣 We used to think grooming our longhaired moggy was hard work but that was nothing.

The two Maine Coons I had were an absolute nightmare to groom. And those flippin knots under the arms etc.

The two Maine Coons I had were an absolute nightmare to groom. And those flippin knots under the arms etc.
Yup, armpits are the worst. Even if we can bribe Freddie with food he's never in a position where we can get to those hard to reach places.

Back