• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

On a rescue mission... UD: PROUD BUNNY MUMMY MOMENT

Thank you all. Thought I'd post some new pictures of this little love:

Hawthorn is her new favourite thing:
P1060586_zpsuslsts8a.jpg

So much so that she will eat it through the bars of the dog crate instead of being IN it to have breakfast!
P1060601_zpswqes0md4.jpg

Investigating a dock leaf that is bigger than she is.

P1060590_zpszrc60faw.jpg

P1060588_zpssjp607d1.jpg

She is gorgeous :)
just some general advice for all reading this
Rabbits can eat dock leaf and sorrel which is in same family BUT as leaves get older they contain high levels of oxalic acid and tannins ( why they have astringent properties and can soothe nettle stings and burns ) which can affect hearts and kidneys..the seeds are very dangerous.
so we avoid feeding them unless bunnies get them from lawn themselves!. We do feed sorrle but in small quantities and young leaves.

She is gorgeous :)
just some general advice for all reading this
Rabbits can eat dock leaf and sorrel which is in same family BUT as leaves get older they contain high levels of oxalic acid and tannins ( why they have astringent properties and can soothe nettle stings and burns ) which can affect hearts and kidneys..the seeds are very dangerous.
so we avoid feeding them unless bunnies get them from lawn themselves!. We do feed sorrle but in small quantities and young leaves.
Thank you. :) She's not hugely interested in it. Our lawn is non-existant so I do feed dock on occasion - this is probably the last I'll pick of this year as most is on flower now. I found a couple of plants which weren't, and that's what it came from. Anyhow, I'll remove what she hasn't eaten when I head back downstairs.

Persephone continues to be amazing. :love:

She met my little stepdaughter today and wooed and charmed her. Seffy loved the noserubs E gave her and sat calmly on the floor with her. Fantastic for such a hyperactive bunny! She did make E jump too though - E was lying on the sofa watching a DVD with us and Seffy decided to jump up right next to her.

E is good as gold with my rabbits and learning so well about their requirements. I'm proud of her. And I'm proud of Persephone for taking it in her stride.

One thing though - sometimes, when she periscopes, Persephone rolls back on her heels and trips a little. Misjudges her balance as such. Is this probably a side effect from the awful hamster cage??? Will she stop 'tripping' in time? I hope there's no lasting damage. She is blatantly a youngster despite not knowing her exact age.

I'm just catching up on this thread...my goodness what a beautiful little bunny! How on earth could anyone abandon her? (I realize one cannot take a rabbit to a different country in some circumstances, but to not find a proper home first?) But their loss and all that....

As far as the tipping is concerned...I know rexes and minis get sore hock easily, she doesn't have any start of that from being in that tiny cage does she? Might make it uncomfy to lean back on her heels? And I can imagine she doesn't have much perspective balance wise from being crammed in there, poor love. I do hope she doesn't have something developing in her inner ear though. What did the vet have to say if anything about the state of her ears?

You are an angel for taking her in. I'm sure she knows how lucky she is, considering her activity level! :lol:

I thought Persephezeus was a fantastic name, but.... ;) Welcome home, Persphone! :love: You are gorgeous! xxxxx

Thanks MimzMum. Persephone has an incredible spirit and zest for life. I adore her. Her hocks look ok at the moment, which was why I queried balance issues as obviously, the torture chamber had no head height for even a minirex to stand properly. She had her RAW vet check today, with the exotics vet (rather than a nurse. I love this new surgery I've started going to.) She was given a clean bill of health, just regarded as being a touch on the flighty side and needs to relax a bit more before being spayed.

So she's booked in for her spay in just under 3 weeks time.

Although the vet said she was flighty and nervy today, she doesn't display that as much at home. Yes, she still thumps if there's something new that startles her. Or if there's a smell she doesn't like. Or something. However, this evening, she was released into the lounge with me, OH, and my mum. She sat for noserubs with all of us - usually she just runs and binkies and gets into places she shouldn't. And more excitingly: SHE GROOMED ME. I didn't even ask or expect it, but she suddenly started licking my fingers. I'm so proud of her!

I can't imagine a rabbit being kept in a cage that has no head room...especially for a mini rex! "shock:
I take it her ears checked out okay too then? I'll be keeping her in my thoughts for her future procedure, till then I think she's landed on her feet with you! ;) How wonderful that she's already showing affection! :love:

Flighty and nervy are to be expected considering her start in life, imo. Actually, now that I think of it, Fiver, my mini rex, is almost 9 years old, he had a torturous beginning (several young boys were given him as a 'plaything' and they made him head shy and nippy, and then he was given to someone who kept him alone in a small pen in a dark basement) and to this day he does not like me touching his face, ears or feet and will box me if I attempt to put him in a carrier. He has come a long way though from not wanting any human contact to basically seeing me as his 'bonded partner' (i.e. he prefers my company to that of other bunnies) and I simply don't know what he will do when we move because he and the other two will be relegated to the outdoors for the first time in their lives. :(

I find the mini rex to be more sensitive than other bunnies, but that could just be me. They certainly have their own brand of relationship skills...they are more 'people bunnies' I think than most bunnies are. :)

Her ears are fine - literally the only 'fault' is flightiness. But while she does still stamp, it's happening less and less. She's definitely not headshy or anything. I think her reaction at the vets was mostly stress - she's had a lot of changes in her young life and still more to come.

Poor Fiver. It's awful but equally not unexpected that he still has these scars. But he definitely has a wonderful home with you - even if he's being relegated to outdoors.

I've also chosen Sef's husbun. He's young, so I'll have to wait, but that gives her recovery time. Let's just say... he's a familiar face!

Her ears are fine - literally the only 'fault' is flightiness. But while she does still stamp, it's happening less and less. She's definitely not headshy or anything. I think her reaction at the vets was mostly stress - she's had a lot of changes in her young life and still more to come.

Poor Fiver. It's awful but equally not unexpected that he still has these scars. But he definitely has a wonderful home with you - even if he's being relegated to outdoors.

I've also chosen Sef's husbun. He's young, so I'll have to wait, but that gives her recovery time. Let's just say... he's a familiar face!

Ooooo...I'm intrigued! :D But so glad she has a partner lined up. Wish I could bond any of mine! :(

Thank you, yes Fiver has a thumping problem too. And it's not good for his hocks. Still can't figure out what sets him off other than he doesn't like 'clicky' noises. Snapping fingers, plastic items that make a sharp sound, computer keys...all these get him going. :( Needless to say, "clicker training" was not the least bit interesting to him.

On the subject of her tipping over when periscoping - my Netherland Dwarf girl does this quite alot. I did wonder if something was wrong but she's healthy so I think sometimes they must just get a bit too interested in something and misjudge their balancing ability!

Back