• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oliver not well - treating for E. Cuniculi - Q post 70

So, he's had coriander, parsley, some carrot, dandelions (searching for them on Christmas Day was 'fun') and a few small pieces of hay.
We're still syringe feeding him as he's not drinking yet, and not getting much fibre but he seems to be much brighter.

We've brought Maisey his partner in so they're together and it's made such a difference!

So, he's had coriander, parsley, some carrot, dandelions (searching for them on Christmas Day was 'fun') and a few small pieces of hay.
We're still syringe feeding him as he's not drinking yet, and not getting much fibre but he seems to be much brighter.

We've brought Maisey his partner in so they're together and it's made such a difference!

I'm glad to hear he's improved slightly :D It must have been a stressful Christmas day for you this year :( Hopefully Maisey continues to cheer him up for you :)

I used to find that when my Homer was recovering. He would not eat and then put a cabbage leaf and Katy would pinch it off him and then he would say "hey" and pinch it back. Katy would also look after him and sit next to him and groom him (he had dentals every 5-6 weeks) :love:

Oliver is having a bit of a quieter day today. :(
He just seems so up and down. I think his head tilt has actually got worse and he's rolling more today.

The vet didn't give us any more metacam though, so I'm going to request that on Monday - hopefully that will make him feel better.

He's eating less himself today so we've upped the syringe feeding again.
I don't really know what else we can do? I hate seeing him like this.

Poor Oliver :cry: He definitely needs to be on Metacam, I cant think why the Vet did not prescribe it. He is probably more depressed and not eating due to pain. Would you be able to obtain pain relief for him from a Vet tonight ?

Poor Oliver :cry: He definitely needs to be on Metacam, I cant think why the Vet did not prescribe it. He is probably more depressed and not eating due to pain. Would you be able to obtain pain relief for him from a Vet tonight ?

Hi Jane, thank for the reply.

I should have checked about painkillers on Christmas Eve but was a bit of a mess.
Annoyingly, all the local vets are closed now. He has just had a couple of slices of apple and a few strands of hay. He changes every 30mins at the moment. He goes from hopping around (slowly!) so flat out and looking exhausted.

I'll try and get some metacam.

Oliver appeared to be feeling VERY sorry for himself yesterday morning, but perked up quite a bit in the late afternoon and evening. He seems to get 'better' when we leave him alone for a bit - like the handling / stroking is wearing him out. We had to nip to the shops for an hour and a half and when we got back he was in their litter tray, nibbling bits of hay. :shock:

He's now eating a few strands of hay every 30mins or so, and more veg. He's nibbled at a few bits of FibaFirst yesterday evening and this morning but is not interested in normal pellets. We're still syringing but have made the mix much more liquid, so he's hydrated but not so full. I'm not sure he was feeling 'hungry' when we were syringing food every 1-2hrs.

He's still very tilted and rolling when he gets too excited, but if he takes his time, he can get around okay. They're both in an enclosure in the livingroom for now, but seem to be coping quite well.

Oliver appeared to be feeling VERY sorry for himself yesterday morning, but perked up quite a bit in the late afternoon and evening. He seems to get 'better' when we leave him alone for a bit - like the handling / stroking is wearing him out. We had to nip to the shops for an hour and a half and when we got back he was in their litter tray, nibbling bits of hay. :shock:

He's now eating a few strands of hay every 30mins or so, and more veg. He's nibbled at a few bits of FibaFirst yesterday evening and this morning but is not interested in normal pellets. We're still syringing but have made the mix much more liquid, so he's hydrated but not so full. I'm not sure he was feeling 'hungry' when we were syringing food every 1-2hrs.

He's still very tilted and rolling when he gets too excited, but if he takes his time, he can get around okay. They're both in an enclosure in the livingroom for now, but seem to be coping quite well.

I'm glad Oliver seems a bit better in himself. I hope he continues to improve for you. It must be so stressful, I hope you're bearing up okay!

I'm glad Oliver seems a bit better in himself. I hope he continues to improve for you. It must be so stressful, I hope you're bearing up okay!

Thanks!

I'm 'okay' - had a bit of a meltdown yesterday (overtired prob). I just hate seeing him so poorly, and I'm terrified he might not make it, and then what will we do with Maisey. Trying to deal with each day as it comes as thinking too far ahead is freaking me out.
I've been working Christmas this year though, so can 'not think about it' when I'm here.

:wave: I have just been going through this with my bun Sid... and am still unsure whether it was an inner ear infection or EC. But Sid improved loads within 2 weeks, so I am sending you lots of his get well vibes to Oliver. Hope he makes a full recovery very soon! x

:wave: I have just been going through this with my bun Sid... and am still unsure whether it was an inner ear infection or EC. But Sid improved loads within 2 weeks, so I am sending you lots of his get well vibes to Oliver. Hope he makes a full recovery very soon! x

Thank you, that's really kind of you.

Oliver is certainly more 'stable' tonight, but doesn't seem to be getting better very quickly. He's nibbling more bits, I just wish he'd eat properly though.
Going to phone his vet tomorrow morning - the one we saw today for the other 3 (vaccinations) was useless, but did admit that he didn't normally treat buns.

Stuff like this really does bring home the lack of bunny training that comes 'as standard' with a vet degree.

Thank you all!

We took Tibbsy, Echo and Maisey to the vets for their vaccinations yesterday (Olly boy is too poorly to think about vaccinating) and the vet we saw last night was quite dismissive, and didn't really want to get involved. I guess he hadn't seen Oliver before Christmas though, and did admit that he doesn't treat many rabbits.

However - my lovely hubby finally got our nice vet to prescribe some Metacam for Oliver - he'll pick it up in a bit and give Oliver the first dose as soon as he gets home - hopefully that will perk him up a bit more!

He had another FibaFirst stick this morning (3 inches maybe?) and has apparently had a BUNCH of coriander (previously 2 sprigs was all he could manage) so he must be feeling a little better.

Thank you all so much for the support, sometimes it feels quite lonely being a bunny-owner, as not many adults understand.

Good that he is showing more interest in his food. :thumb: Hope this continues and, with the metacam, helps him to keep improving.

Back