• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oliver not well - treating for E. Cuniculi - Q post 70

Oliver is a tiny bit brighter. The vet didn't think he would make the night so is delighted. He'll be getting more meds at 3pm and is well enough now to have Panacur.

I'm shattered, but have had some sleep. My wonderful husband, on the other hand has been up all night with him.

He'll be getting more gut stimulant, anti inflammatory, antibiotic (he has an access too) and Panacur - can anyone think of anything I'm missing?!

Oliver is a tiny bit brighter. The vet didn't think he would make the night so is delighted. He'll be getting more meds at 3pm and is well enough now to have Panacur.

I'm shattered, but have had some sleep. My wonderful husband, on the other hand has been up all night with him.

He'll be getting more gut stimulant, anti inflammatory, antibiotic (he has an access too) and Panacur - can anyone think of anything I'm missing?!

Where is the abscess ? What antibiotic is he on ?

Lots more vibes being sent xx

Where is the abscess ? What antibiotic is he on ?

Lots more vibes being sent xx

Hi Jane, it's under his ear. The vet did a small needle biopsy last night and can't see any actual cells in the pus, so we don't know what we're dealing with yet.
She doesn't believe his current illness is related, so wants to get him well before they look at treating the abscess.

He's had a large dose of Baytril for the moment, just incase there's an infection somewhere else. At the moment the vet is more worried about the rolling / leaning and unsteadiness. He's also tilting his head very slightly.

We are back in at 3pm where we'll start Panacur. She didn't want to give him it overnight if he wasn't going to make it (he was extremely poorly). She's quite a brisk, pragmatic vet but knows her stuff and doesn't 'speak down' to me. It was hard to hear her say that she wasn't sure he would make it through the night, but I guess she wanted to prepare us for the worst.

Hmm with the potential abscess being situated so near to his ear i would definitely suspect that his other symptoms, especially the slight head tilt and wobbliness, could be related. perhaps the infection goes deep enough down that its affecting his balance?

Just thinking aloud.

Sending him tons and tons of vibes xxxxx

Thanks Gemmapookie, we were thinking along the same lines but the vet isn't so sure.
His ears were given a really good exam and there doesn't appear to be anything there, plus the abscess is very 'round and mobile' (think she means not attached to the jaw/skull bones).

Vet thinks it's either pasturella or EC, so we have Baytril and Panacur. Hopefully he will start to improve soon. He's still not eating on his own. :(
He's fighting the syringing more though, so I'm taking that as an improvement, and for now his gut is def still moving.

Thanks Gemmapookie, we were thinking along the same lines but the vet isn't so sure.
His ears were given a really good exam and there doesn't appear to be anything there, plus the abscess is very 'round and mobile' (think she means not attached to the jaw/skull bones).

Vet thinks it's either pasturella or EC, so we have Baytril and Panacur. Hopefully he will start to improve soon. He's still not eating on his own. :(
He's fighting the syringing more though, so I'm taking that as an improvement, and for now his gut is def still moving.

Such a worry when they wont eat :cry: Atleast he still has fighting spirit if hes attacking the syringe :)

I really hope he improves over night and you manage to get some sleep xxxxxx

He's EATING!!

Finally, he's eating something by himself! It's only herbs for now, but it's amazing considering how poorly he's been.

Back