• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh god. Roger's collapsed. UD, he's gone.

I don't feel like we need a PM (although if anyone disagrees, please let me know).

With Sandy we did because we didn't know why she had died or what led to it. We found something that was specific only to Sandy but no direct cause of death but a strong suspicion.

Roger has had several tests prior to his death, and has been ill for around 8 weeks. All his tests came back as clear, other than an x-ray. We know exactly what his last hours consisted of.

I'm confident enough that he didn't have anything that will affect my other bunnies (my main reason for getting PMs). My vet feels it was something neurological- I don't even know if they could find a little brain bleed or a clot, or anything if they did a PM. Although they might be able to identify if he had a brain tumour or infection or something?

I just feel that it's not necessary? But if anyone disagrees please let me know- I have debated and I am open. I'll be calling the crem in about half an hour or so.

Oh God :(

I'm so so sorry Sky, after everything we talked about yesterday.

Definitely no doubts, and I personally wouldn't go for the PM either.

It almost sounds to me like he could have had a stroke? Not sure if that's plausible in rabbits?

Sending huge hugs and ignore my IM this morning, you have much more important things to deal with.

Be free in the lush green grass at the bridge little one :love:

I totally agree that a PM won't as anything, you know he was ill and that his system wasn't coping.

Absolutely heartbreaking and I am so sorry again.:cry::cry:

Roger and Sandy will be going to the Crem at 11. Sandy is going because hers and Roger's ashes will be mixed, so they can be together forever.

I'm also going to take Dopey2 because I can't open her box to get the ashes out :lol::roll: (putting them in a photoframe box thingy)

If you need a virtual shoulder during the day Sky, my mobile is on and actually working today...

Will be thinking of you today x

(((((Hugs)))))
It must be so difficult for you.

I see no point in a PM either. I have never had one done, as they were pretty much age related and as you said Roger had tests.

Thinking of you. xxx

I don't feel like we need a PM (although if anyone disagrees, please let me know).

With Sandy we did because we didn't know why she had died or what led to it. We found something that was specific only to Sandy but no direct cause of death but a strong suspicion.

Roger has had several tests prior to his death, and has been ill for around 8 weeks. All his tests came back as clear, other than an x-ray. We know exactly what his last hours consisted of.

I'm confident enough that he didn't have anything that will affect my other bunnies (my main reason for getting PMs). My vet feels it was something neurological- I don't even know if they could find a little brain bleed or a clot, or anything if they did a PM. Although they might be able to identify if he had a brain tumour or infection or something?

I just feel that it's not necessary? But if anyone disagrees please let me know- I have debated and I am open. I'll be calling the crem in about half an hour or so.

I am so sorry about Roger :cry:

We have used metronidazole and never had an issue with it, but we have had many rabbits with infections especially around the head area where it has tracked to the brain :( You 110% did exactly the right thing, totally made the right decision for Roger so please don't start wondering about the what ifs. I honestly don't believe there were any in this instance. I also agree that a Pm is not necessary. A basic Pm does not include opening the skull anyway.

Once again I am very sorry for your loss just please please don't feel you did anything wrong, you did everything possible and everything right. There were no other options, life is just :cry: sometimes xx

Also Roger was a wildie. He would have hidden everything until the very last second. If you saw him that ill he was much more ill than a domestic rabbit in the same condition. I agree that you did the right thing.

I am so sorry about Roger :cry:

We have used metronidazole and never had an issue with it, but we have had many rabbits with infections especially around the head area where it has tracked to the brain :( You 110% did exactly the right thing, totally made the right decision for Roger so please don't start wondering about the what ifs. I honestly don't believe there were any in this instance. I also agree that a Pm is not necessary. A basic Pm does not include opening the skull anyway.

Once again I am very sorry for your loss just please please don't feel you did anything wrong, you did everything possible and everything right. There were no other options, life is just :cry: sometimes xx

Totally agree - we have used metranidozol a lot as well. And re sudden collapse and death - Parsley collapsed and died very quickly after some subtle changes in behaviour a few days earlier as his huge inner ear abcess finally crumbled the remaining thin bone and went to his brain.

Thank you all :)

Roger and Sandy are now at the Pet Crem and they will be put in the same pouch together and come home in Sandy's photobox.

Back