• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nutmeg update

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
I just thought I'd start a new thread as this seems to be moving away from snuffles now.

She's staying at the vets overnight, along with the other two, and they'll be doing a heart and lung xray in the morning.

I can't quite believe that after loosing Mischa to a heart attack under GA that Nutmeg is now also going under GA with a suspected heart problem. :( I keep telling myself it's just an xray, they won't be using as much as they were with Mischa, not helping much though.

I also wanted to say thank you everyone for your thoughtful wishes on the other thread. Hopefully if it is her heart we can start treating it and have caught it quickly.

I haven't seen your other thread so don't know the other details but I just wanted to send lots of vibes. I hope all goes smoothly and nothing too serious is found.

Good luck Nutmeg :love:

Her heart isn't enlarged but a bit, almost, squashed by the lung issues. She has bronchial disease I think Allie said. Her lungs are basically full of muck is how I understood it. She's on streptacare now (injections *weeps a little* I never got the hang of those with Mischa) and also a heart tablet (which is big and she hates *weeps a bit more*). She got on fine with the neb at the vets so we've got a box to try that here instead of the carrier (but she hates that too *weeps again*).

I'm feeling very powerless at the moment, all these drugs to help and I can't get them into her!! How do you know when the needle has gone in properly? I think that's my problem, knowing when it's in. I'm drawing them up myself too which i'm not entirely sure if I did properly. I'm assuming I just put the needle into the silver on the top of the bottle? I managed to get it into the syringe with no air bubbles but there seems an awful lot of resistance with the bottle top. I'm going to try switching out the needle tomorrow, drawing with one and a new one for injecting. Also going to get a bigger box tomorrow but Wilkos was shut this evening so Asda was my only option. The tablet I may crush and mix into the banana instead of breaking into pieces and pushing in. I'm giving up for tonight though, i'm only going to stress her.

Last edited:
Oh that sounds rather stressful. Poor you. Quite agree about leaving it for now. I really hope that you get more confident and the the medicating gets to be second nature for you both. I have found ellas kitchen baby food to be really good for this kind of thing (there are a couple with rabbit friendly ingredients).

Oh that sounds rather stressful. Poor you. Quite agree about leaving it for now. I really hope that you get more confident and the the medicating gets to be second nature for you both. I have found ellas kitchen baby food to be really good for this kind of thing (there are a couple with rabbit friendly ingredients).

Thanks, I tried that before with something else but she turned her nose up but I thought I'd try again. Also bought a pill crusher. She still wouldn't eat it willingly but would take it from a syringe. I put a bit too much of the puree in so I didn't like to force feed her all of it but she had at least half. Tomorrow I'll do the same but with less of the puree.

Also watched a load of rabbit injection videos last night and managed to do the injection today. Yay! Didn't get it through the skin first time or anything but she was so good and sat there for ages while I tried. Third attempt and we managed it. :thumb:

I also thought about trying the nebuliser elsewhere as she was fine with it at the vets and that works too. Found a larger box and she's in there right now while I forum surf. :)

She's also been flopping some more and does seem happier. :thumb: I'm so relieved, I really did think I was going to loose her.

Back