• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not so tame rabbit and 1 year old baby...

I've got 3) main worries with outside - 1) she won't get enough attention in the winter months, 2) what if she burrows out of the enclosure? 3) she's lived indoors since birth, would she adapt?
Also, I've caught my neighbours stashing drugs in our garden before 😳 (We only moved here in July)
And, I'm not sure we'd get her back in her house after letting her run in the garden, we currently get her in with greens, if I were her I'd pick the endless grass over some greens...
My indoor rabbits love the garden. It's a fight for me to get them back indoors.

You can house on paving slabs - failing that mount the run area on some ply and protect it with stick down lino.

If you housed her outside, we all recommend she has a friend so during the winter months especially she has her husbun to cuddle up to and have attention from.

A shed would be the easiest set up, with an attached run. If not then a playhouse would be easy to adapt.

Have a look on the housing sticky for inspiration.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Ok, and for introducing a friend, would we do that before she moves outside? There isn't really any neutral ground in our house cuz when she's out she's in the whole of downstairs and a) we'd struggle to get her upstairs as we can't pick her up and it's a nightmare getting her in her carrier and b) nowhere upstairs is very bunnyproofed...
Also I e been looking at the local rspca and society for abandoned animals pages since her sister died and haven't noticed any suitable buns... she was the dominant of the 2 but she's also quite timid, I don't even know where to start other than placid neutered male 😕

If you are lucky there may be a rescue near you that will help with the bonding. Could you do a post "Recommended Rescue Near XXX" someone may be able to suggest a rescue

I have a two year old living with our two completely free range rabbits. We got the first when she was about 1 1/2 and at first she would try picking it up following it around and being an annoying toddler lol but she learnt pretty soon with our encouragement to not pester the rabbit. To be fair she never tried to eat the poop though! Toddlers learn so quickly so this could just be a very temporary problem she will soon know how to treat them. My little girl is two now and is so gentle and loving with them and leaves them in peace when i tell her. So it might work with a little patience!x

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Wouldn't it be to cold to move an indoor bunny outdoors at the moment??

Do what is best for you luv. i agree with Happybun, your Children come first over everyone and everything. If you do have to rehome dont feel bad, just make sure the new home is going to be a loving one. I have had to rehome rabbits in the past, it was a hard desicion but when I see the updates on them I know I did the right thing xx

Ok, and for introducing a friend, would we do that before she moves outside? There isn't really any neutral ground in our house cuz when she's out she's in the whole of downstairs and a) we'd struggle to get her upstairs as we can't pick her up and it's a nightmare getting her in her carrier and b) nowhere upstairs is very bunnyproofed...
Also I e been looking at the local rspca and society for abandoned animals pages since her sister died and haven't noticed any suitable buns... she was the dominant of the 2 but she's also quite timid, I don't even know where to start other than placid neutered male 😕
For introducing a friend - I'd look for a rescue that can do the bonding for you.
This way they can help find a suitable partner for her, and can bond her in their rescue so when you have her returned, she'll go straight outside with her new partner.

For introducing a friend - I'd look for a rescue that can do the bonding for you.
This way they can help find a suitable partner for her, and can bond her in their rescue so when you have her returned, she'll go straight outside with her new partner.

This :)
And you can use the time that she is away to set up her new home.
Where abouts are you based?
X

I would not put a rabbit outside at this time of the year, if it has been living inside. I think it is too cold. In my view, if she needs to go outside I would wait until it warms up a little in the Spring. I would also not keep a rabbit outside by itself.

I hope in the meantime you can sort something out for her indoors, so that she can be kept apart from your baby, for both their sakes.

I'm in Manchester, the rescues I know of are the 2 branches of rspca and the society of abandoned animals, neither of which offer a period if bonding but do allow you to return any rabbit that doesn't bond... we haven't really got the space, or in all honesty, the time to do it either!
Ahh I just don't know what to do 😭

I'm in Manchester, the rescues I know of are the 2 branches of rspca and the society of abandoned animals, neither of which offer a period if bonding but do allow you to return any rabbit that doesn't bond... we haven't really got the space, or in all honesty, the time to do it either!
Ahh I just don't know what to do 😭
In that case I would look into rehoming her if you can not make any changes to your home to meet her needs.

Personally, I'm with the group of she'll be bitten once and then she'll stop doing it.
Also providing bunny with her own space that daughter can not access at all.

But you don't think this is possible so to be fair on the bunny, I'd rehome her.

(Also have a look further a field for bonding and rescues - Rabbit Residence in Royston offer bonding I believe.. not sure if you're within their catchment area)

I've just ordered the pen that was posted for a quick fix in the meantime, hopefully I can fit it somewhere in the room 👍

There are rescues that will bond, dependent on where you are in Manchester. I thought the SSA did bond but perhaps not. Rabbit Rescue North West, Altrincham RSPCA and Macclesfield RSPCA all offer bonding.

Hi, SSA used to carry out bonding, they certainly were last year but maybe that has changed. Certainly Rabbit Rescue North West will. I can recommend them, they bonded my Gabriel - notoriously difficult as very humpy - with Mabel Flump.

Last edited:
I've just ordered the pen that was posted for a quick fix in the meantime, hopefully I can fit it somewhere in the room 👍

I hope that goes well :) it'd be great if you were able to keep her indoors (preferably with a bonded friend), but if not, many buns do well outdoors and actually enjoy it more than the indoor life. Although I do think an outdoor bun needs a bonded friend so they'll have company all the time.And of course you'd need to wait til spring before housing her outdoors.

Rabbit Rescue North West will bond for you and they have some lovely buns :) I adopted Bianca from there. They are based in Knutsford but I think that they also work from Stockport too. X

That pen is a good idea. I used them when I had indoor rabbits (it was lovely having them indoors). It sounds like your rabbit has a lovely space. I really hope that you find a nice companion for her even if she does stay indoors, as you will inevitably have less time for her with a small child to contend with!

Ah will have a look at rabbit rescue north west then, and society of abandoned animals again, could have sworn they said they didn't do it when we rang over the summer but could be wrong
Thanks for your help guys!

Rabbit rescue northwest are amazing we have had 2 bunnies from them! They do all the bonding

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back