• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not 'Perfect'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you Jane.

I see so many new members come on here and get jumped on for not having large enough accommodation, having a lone bunny, wrong diet etc, when really what we should be doing is helping them and giving good advice :( Im pretty sure Ive been guilty of doing it aswell :oops:

Some peoples posts are really abrupt and sarcastic, it infuriates me. Really not doing any favours for the buns in question.

I have also felt guilty numerous times for various things, which I can now see are irrelevant. Like not being able to get a huge variety of fresh veg here as Im in the mountains :roll: Yes I wish that I had a huge garden for my buns to enjoy, and strive to have it one day, but I just have to look at them all to know that they are happy and content with life.

At the end of the day our buns are our biggest critics. If they're happy, healthy and clean we're doing just fine :thumb:

I completely agree. I may have been judgemental in the past and I'm sorry for that, but I agree that people should give advice, not keep pushing people into things. No-one is perfect and I believe everyone on this forum wants to do what is right for their bunnies. Just because they haven't got space for a shed, doesn't make them a bad owner. Simply not having enough space to have an attached hutch and run, doesn't make you a bad owner. As long as you provide enough exercise and space through other means (eg long hours in an unattached run, or free range) then that is a better life for bunnies than most.

Advice should be just that... advice. Not pushed onto people and made to do whatever they say. If people don't take your advice, don't feel insulted. As long as no-one is abusing their animals, then its up to them how they care for them.

I hope no-one feels the comments I make to people who ask for help expect the unreachable. :( I just don't want people to make the mistakes I did.

At the end of the day,I dont compare my buns to other buns on here as we all love them,I compare my buns to bottom of the garden hutch bunnies & then I know im doing well.:D

^^this! This was what I was getting at in my rambling inarticulate way! :oops: completely agree :)

Most of my accommodation is too small. I hadnt realised until I joined here. Im trying to replace my small cages one by one until all my bunny homes are at least min standard.
However, my bunnies already have a better life than they used to have. Even though their housing is small, they are on a good diet and are getting good healthcare. I am currently not taking on more rescues until I have better accommodation, but it all costs money, and I prefer to use it on the animals we have already got. (Do I buy / make a big hutch, or neuter a couple of bunnies??)
I know Im not doing everything perfectly (yet) and do feel bad about it. Striving for a better life for all my rescues (not just the rabbits).
Jan

I loveeee this forum so much, it's been invaluable to me in the last year and I've learnt so much and made so many improvements.. neutering/spaying, better diet, companionship and vaccinations etc... but yes it would be nice to get some empathy and understanding sometimes.

In terms of personal life, I think the people on here are INCREDIBLE, everyone is so supportive of one another, it's amazing. But when it comes to the rabbits, a few members seem to have no empathy for what someone's situation may be.. it's happened to me several times.

Also, and I may get told off for this, but I feel there are a few members who don't comment much, and then only comment on the threads where they can leave a nasty or spiteful/judmental comment about someone's animal care. It infuriates me:lol:

I hope no-one feels the comments I make to people who ask for help expect the unreachable. :( I just don't want people to make the mistakes I did.

No way, you're always polite and friendly to newcomers. Theres a big difference between giving newbies good advise and making them feel like bad owners :wave:

I really don't give a poop what people think about how I keep Louie.

He is a single rabbit and, no, I wont ever be getting him a friend. There are reasons for this which are my business no one elses.

Oh and Louie doesn't like Fenugreek crunchies :shock:

I loveeee this forum so much, it's been invaluable to me in the last year and I've learnt so much and made so many improvements.. neutering/spaying, better diet, companionship and vaccinations etc... but yes it would be nice to get some empathy and understanding sometimes.

In terms of personal life, I think the people on here are INCREDIBLE, everyone is so supportive of one another, it's amazing. But when it comes to the rabbits, a few members seem to have no empathy for what someone's situation may be.. it's happened to me several times.

Also, and I may get told off for this, but I feel there are a few members who don't comment much, and then only comment on the threads where they can leave a nasty or spiteful/judmental comment about someone's animal care. It infuriates me:lol:

Must admit I have noticed this abit aswell. Some people give off alot of negative energy :(

I beat you - mine have never even TRIED them :shock:

I'm a terrible rabbit owner!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:shock::shock::shock:

Mean, naughty mummeh! Poor, starvin bunnehs! ;)

I wish mine had never tried them, I feel guilty if I run out now :roll::lol:

:shock::lol::lol::lol:

Well, i cant buy them around here and i dont want to rely on delivery because i'm not often in to take parcels - so i thought they wont miss what they've never had :lol::lol::lol:

Yeh it is a fine line when you're on a forum and people cant see you or hear your tone. I just add a smile or a wave so people know Im being nice ;)

But then you get the people who interpret the wave or smile as a sarcastic one and so you can't win...... :lol::lol::lol:

I try to speak as I would like to be spoken to and try to advise people rather than order them to do something; I can't be sure it always comes across that way because it's hard to pick up problems with the tone of your own posts (in that others might not read them in the same way you think they sound in your head).

Mostly, I think people don't realise how their posts are coming across or are so keen to get the message across that perhaps they don't sit back to think about how it sounds. The people who are intentionally critical are very few and far between but probably grab people's attention more for that reason.

There's some great advice in the Rules section of the forum regarding the tone of posts and we could probably all do with reminding ourselves of that every once in a while. :oops:

I don't think there is such a thing as perfection, but we all strive to do the best for our bunnies and that's what counts. :)

This is a great thread. My bunny care has improved leaps and bounds since joining the forum and because of joining the forum meeting Helen, The Duchess. But, I look at some of the threads particularly housing ones and often feel bad. Silly really because I do have hutch/run combos that meet requirements and Molly and Marble have the run of the living room all day but I am always thinking I could do better.

Having said that I once visited another bunny forum :shock: and then felt much better about my housing!

A very wise thread

I don't think ANY of us have a perfect bunny setup - perfection, for a bunny, would be an entire meadow, with predator-proof walls and roof, next door to an excellent vet. Hands up who has that :lol:

But as we admit that none of us are perfect and always have areas to improve on...it would serve us well to remember that the same applies to others....there's no need to harrass a new member because their hutch is smaller than "our" standards....they are probably doing their best, the same as the rest of us.

This thread is brill. There are many times I have done something, but though... Not posting that on RU, I'll get abuse!

Everyone tried there best, everyones best differs slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back