• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not 'Perfect'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I really believed I was the worst owner ever. Letting my chins out for a run as their hutch is not big enough and almost losing them all as they escaped an hour later when I went into the bedroom and didn't shut it properly behind me.

I do wish they had a better hutch, but they are happy, well fed, spoilt and loved.:)

I am happy my bunnies have got freedom in the flat, although I would have liked them to have a run in the garden but you can't have everything.:)

:lol::lol::lol: Lucky bunnies. I hope they get plenty of exercise to burn off those calories ;):lol:

thats just the excess, not the stuff we are currently using :oops: i always think 'oooo better grab that now while i remember' :lol:

and they are house buns so i have to watch their diets at the best of times as bella in particular is a lazy bum :roll: the only running she does is when i chase her when she has something she shouldnt :lol:

Last night I really believed I was the worst owner ever. Letting my chins out for a run as their hutch is not big enough and almost losing them all as they escaped an hour later when I went into the bedroom and didn't shut it properly behind me.

I do wish they had a better hutch, but they are happy, well fed, spoilt and loved.:)

I am happy my bunnies have got freedom in the flat, although I would have liked them to have a run in the garden but you can't have everything.:)

We beat ourselves up horribly for mistakes - but just think of all the people, the majority no doubt, who do these things to their animals by choice. Like when Beau has to go in his ferplast cage at mum's, I feel terrible. But some bunnies live their lives in cages like that and no exercise time.

I think that goes for medical treatment as well as housing and diet. All of us on here try our very best for our poorly bunnies. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done. We know our bunnies better than anyone else and shouldn;t be made to feel bad if we decide that enough is enough sometimes :?

ETA I don;t think there is any such thing as perfect there is always something we could do better for them. But knowing that there is more you can do and striving to continually achieve that is what is important :D

:thumb:

I completely, completely agree with all of this.

No one on here is perfect and everyone can make improvements in some way. We all stuff up, we all make mistakes, and hopefully, we all learn from them.

Also, lib n bunny, Are you sure people are really judging you, or is that you projecting how you feel onto others? I only say that because I saw the battles you went through with Beau and looking for a friend and I don't know you and we never spoke; I just saw what you posted on the forum. I have huge respect for you for what you tried to do with Beau, and ok, so it didn't work, but you tried your hardest and did all anyone can do. Sometimes we have to consign ourselves that whilst we want something, they want something else- which you have done. Don't be so hard on yourself. You're an awesome owner and Beau is lucky to have you :)

Essentially, it's about what is best for the bunny, and given all bunnies are different, it will differ bunny to bunny. If someone is doing what is best for the bunny, and not best for themselves (but bearing in mind what is best for the bunny varies hugely, situation to situation and has no set formula) then that's all anyone can do.

We beat ourselves up horribly for mistakes - but just think of all the people, the majority no doubt, who do these things to their animals by choice. Like when Beau has to go in his ferplast cage at mum's, I feel terrible. But some bunnies live their lives in cages like that and no exercise time.

which cages are the ferplast ones?? :)

my 2 have the bigger ones of that :wave: but they have runs attached to them for when im not their and then they are free range when im home :oops: (i didnt know they weren't good cages :oops:)

They arent if they are cooped up 24/7 with no exercise time.

They might be fab as a base though ;)

Also, lib n bunny, Are you sure people are really judging you, or is that you projecting how you feel onto others? I only say that because I saw the battles you went through with Beau and looking for a friend and I don't know you and we never spoke; I just saw what you posted on the forum. I have huge respect for you for what you tried to do with Beau, and ok, so it didn't work, but you tried your hardest and did all anyone can do. Sometimes we have to consign ourselves that whilst we want something, they want something else- which you have done. Don't be so hard on yourself. You're an awesome owner and Beau is lucky to have you :)

Awwwww :oops::D thanks!

I agree with your post Jacks-Jane, I think it is all too easy for owners to blame ourselves for what we can't give and we forget to look at what we can give sometimes. I am by no means perfect when it comes to Milly but as my OH points out there are many many rabbits who are not as lucky, who don't have the space and diet and interaction that she has. I think that doing your best is all you can do and I am always thinking of ways to improve Milly's lifestyle, and if we can get that message to all owners (and I dont mean people on RU more so those who buy rabbits on impulse etc) then many bunny lives will improve because of it.

sorry if i've gone off on a tangent a little but just wanted to put my two penneth in! ;)

my 2 have the bigger ones of that :wave: but they have runs attached to them for when im not their and then they are free range when im home :oops: (i didnt know they weren't good cages :oops:)

He only has the small one, it's that specific one that I meant, plenty of people will buy that somewhere like P@H and bun will just live in that with no run and no exercise time - the cages themselves aren't bad at all, it's just the potential to misuse them by people that don't know.

I agree, it is good to nicely encourage newbies to make improvements for their bunnies to be happier, however I'm constantly taken back by how aggressive some people can be to someone new that perhaps is here to ask questions and learn but not be spoken to like a naughty child.

We all do the best we can with what we have, as long as bunnies get medical treatment when needed and room to stretch their legs then thats great. I prefer bunnies to have company if they are outside but thats just my opinion, its not always possible and as long as the bunny gets lots of interaction and toys then its better than being stuck in a tiny hutch with another bunny.

I was really upset when trying to find a rescue bun as a friend for Pipkin. Contacted lots of rescues and they were so rigid on what was 'right'. Although I provide lots for my bunnies as it wasn't exactly what they specified it wasn't good enough. It made me feel like I was bad bunny owner :( What frustrated me most was that I could walk into a pet shop and walk out with a bunny no questions asked, yet I wanted to do what I felt was right and rescue a bun. Luckily I found a great rescue that was happy with the space and amount of exercise I provide. I try to educate people by showing them what can be provided with their rabbit but also discussing what they can provide and making sure they do the best for their buns with the time, resources and space they have. I don't want anyone else to feel how I was made to feel.

I think for me the best I can do is limiting the numbers. I've had 4 bunnies (2 pairs) here before and while they all had a reasonable amount of space now I have 2 I feel like I am a better bunny mummy as they have a large free range area to themselves and more attention. This is just me btw :)
Yes,I would rather have less buns & spoil them rotten,than more & feel stressed as worry things are inadequate!I know two really is my limit space wise but have actually found things cheaper with three as buy in bulk,get money off at vets & insurances.
I guess I could split the bunny lounge into 3 & have 3 pairs:lol:,but I would rather keep it for two buns(or maybe three)to give them optimum space.At the end of the day,I dont compare my buns to other buns on here as we all love them,I compare my buns to bottom of the garden hutch bunnies & then I know im doing well.:D

Yes,I would rather have less buns & spoil them rotten,than more & feel stressed as worry things are inadequate!I know two really is my limit space wise but have actually found things cheaper with three as buy in bulk,get money off at vets & insurances.
I guess I could split the bunny lounge into 3 & have 3 pairs:lol:,but I would rather keep it for two buns(or maybe three)to give them optimum space.At the end of the day,I dont compare my buns to other buns on here as we all love them,I compare my buns to bottom of the garden hutch bunnies & then I know im doing well.:D

:thumb: 100% agree. (im agreeing alot today :oops: :lol: )

I have 2 pairs.Wasnt meant to have any, but I feel what I do for my 4 is to the best of my ability and they are happy.
Ive not felt jumped on in the 3 years Ive been a member,but have watched people have a "Im better at rabbit keeping than you" attitude.Just avoided the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back