• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

None Spayed Single Bun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really feel for you. The difficulty you're potentially going to face is, if you think she should be spayed and want her spayed and then she gets uterine cancer, you may well find yourself blaming yourself and/or your mum for not getting her spayed. You know the reasons to spay for her, and think she should be spayed, and that's my reason that will benefit you, for why she should be spayed.

All that said, we shouldn't be pushing this on this thread, at you. If you already know the info, there is not much else we can say, or should say.

As I said in an earlier post, there is probably a lot you can do to enrich her life and make it better for her, so maybe, if getting her spayed is not an option, just focus on making the rest of her life amazing?

Yes Chul.
And I don't want to put her through it because I don't think she'll survive. But i know the risks and I think it would be in her best interests to do so.

I really feel for you. The difficulty you're potentially going to face is, if you think she should be spayed and want her spayed and then she gets uterine cancer, you may well find yourself blaming yourself and/or your mum for not getting her spayed. You know the reasons to spay for her, and think she should be spayed, and that's my reason that will benefit you, for why she should be spayed.

All that said, we shouldn't be pushing this on this thread, at you. If you already know the info, there is not much else we can say, or should say.

As I said in an earlier post, there is probably a lot you can do to enrich her life and make it better for her, so maybe, if getting her spayed is not an option, just focus on making whatever time she has amazing?

I would really like to make her life better, I am looking at toys and treats now :)

I would really like to make her life better, I am looking at toys and treats now :)

Awesome :) What about also having a think and finding a way to get her bigger permanent accommodation? and also looking at ways at maybe stimulating her with food? Maybe hiding it around? you can make free toys and suchlike too?

Something else to maybe see about discussing with your mum would be bringing her inside to live?

Snowy living inside is a big no-no!. I wish!!
When I move out, She will be living inside with me!!

But i will hide her feed in toys and get her some things to let her play with!

Do they have Taxi's in Yorkshire? Sorry I'm a daft Southerner!:)

Look the thing is, I do understand mothers can be difficult (I am one!) and different generations understand things differently. In the "old days" when i was a teenager I had 2 does, Dusty and Alice, neither were vaccinated (there weren't vaccines then) or spayed (it wasn't something vets did on rabbits), both lead fairly healthy lives, Dusty especially who lived to about 9, coming with me to my first job as a live in nanny. In those days they "took their chances" like the children in Africa who try to dodge Malaria. Now we have the opportunity to vaccinate and neuter our rabbits both are advisable but at the end of the day it's up to you. I doubt you will change your mind - unless perhaps your mum see's a pet rabbit who is suffering from Myxi, then she might want to prevent it for your rabbit although some just have an "it won't happen to us" attitude.

It's the luck of the draw whether a rabbit will get uterine cancer, you can help prevent myxi by discouraging biting insects, keep a clean hutch, keep a clean rabbit, keep the area around the hutch clean and fresh, put up insect netting.

The best interest of the rabbit would be to at least have her vaccinated. Both Myxi and VHD are awful diseases and will cause a lot of suffering to an unvaccinated rabbit. If you have enough money to pay for it, can't you ask a friend to take you to the vet? Or take a taxi? If you have a job, then the money you earn is yours, and your mother should not tell you how you should spend it. It's not as if you waste it on cigarettes or booze. A vaccination for your bunny is not only useful, but essential. If your mother allowed you to buy a rabbit, then she has to allow you to look after her properly, too.

Make sure you find a rabbit savvy vet in your area. You can ask here on the forum, as there may be members living nearby. Maybe one of them could even take you to the vet. :)

Simple things like a loo roll, stuffed with hay with a couple of treats/pellets in the middle make for great foraging treats too :)

I remember when Fudge was dying and your mother wouldn't take her to the vet. I don't think you stand much chance of persuading her about the spaying as she doesn't appear to hold rabbits in very high regard. It is therefore up to you to take note of the very good advice you have been given here regarding spaying - there is nothing else that I know of that can prevent cancer.

The funny thing is, She cried when Fudge died. :l

I guess, if i was in your position, i'd play on that. But then that may not be the best course of action. She obviously does care, or she wouldn't have cried.

Obviously, in the end, its down to you and your mum, none of us can affect that.

I tried that approach and just now I have had the conversation about how ''I'll pay for Snowy's treatment and Petrol Bills.''
I just got ignored.

I guess, if i was in your position, i'd play on that. But then that may not be the best course of action. She obviously does care, or she wouldn't have cried.Obviously, in the end, its down to you and your mum, none of us can affect that.

But surely if she really had cared about Fudge she would have had Fudge's welfare at heart and taken her to the vet. As you quite rightly say, I don't think anything anyone on here suggests will make any difference.

I am trying here!! I will have to get a taxi down to the vets or something..
But mum wouldn't be happy. I'd probably be grounded.
Anyway, I'm doing a good thing talking to you guys!. Most girls my age who have rabbits don't care for them? Just go out and get wasted and get pregnant themselves..

Anyway, I'm doing a good thing talking to you guys!. Most girls my age who have rabbits don't care for them? Just go out and get wasted and get pregnant themselves..

I think that's luckily still the minority. I had rabbits when I was at your age, but I also had a mother who took our pets to the vet as soon as they needed a vaccination or didn't feel well. Your mother seems to be quite stubborn unfortunately. :(

I don't doubt that you're trying Sammy :) I really really don't. Just understand how many people here know of and have seen what not vaccinating and not spaying has done, we're just trying to help with the welfare of the bunny and how you can help with that. After all, Snowy can't speak for herself, so you need to do it for her.

Surely, being grounded temporarily while Snowy gets what she needs is a small price to pay? That said, i can't advise you to go against a parent, that would be seriously wrong of me.

I doubt anything else i say will help, so i'll wish you and Sammy the best and just sit and watch and hope you can improve her life for her :)

Well done for at least trying :D

Thank you! It's really not easy and like I said i really don't want people to feel sorry for me or judge me..
I do honestly, hand on heart want the best for Snowy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back