• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nodular Myxi

Hi all,

Update, he's still eating and we're washing the lettuce so he gets some water intake, mums keeping an eye on him today as she's off work the. We can decide on what to do for the best. I prepared myself for the goodbye last night, and he doesn't seem as sad this morning, he's hopped into the middle of the room, I don't think he's doing great, but we'll see how he is today and go from there, I've said from the start we would never keep trying to save him if he's in pain just let him go to sleep and not keep him stressed. But at least I know I tried to help him!

I'll update you all on tonight's progress when I'm home.
I've continued the eye drops as he doesn't seem to mind having them and tried 0.4mg of baytrill this morning but no idea if I got it in his mouth!!

Xxx

I think your approach is spot on with Rolo. You will have done your best and you can't do more than that.

Sending load of vibes for him, and strength for you xx

Again I'm saying it's day by day but he's eating pretty well, hay and lettuce and some of his pellets, it's just the water he won't drink, Weve tried a bowl, his bottle and we've resorted into washing the lettuce and carrots in water to give him some water in take or he won't drink anything!!! Any tips on getting him back into water ? - I doubt he'll take it from a syringe as he hates the meds from a syringe and i think he'll think it's his meds?

But I'm just sat with him spending as much time as I can with him, as I don't know how he feels inside! Xxx

Again I'm saying it's day by day but he's eating pretty well, hay and lettuce and some of his pellets, it's just the water he won't drink, Weve tried a bowl, his bottle and we've resorted into washing the lettuce and carrots in water to give him some water in take or he won't drink anything!!! Any tips on getting him back into water ? - I doubt he'll take it from a syringe as he hates the meds from a syringe and i think he'll think it's his meds?

But I'm just sat with him spending as much time as I can with him, as I don't know how he feels inside! Xxx

Some people add things to the water like peppermint tea, or apple juice. Again some people add probiotics (Avipro) to the water - I don't do any of this, but you could always syringe a bit if you are worried? Wet veggies is usually a great source of water!

He's perked up a bit, he seems to have a good day then an off day?
We've started feeding him veggies more now only due to the lack of water he seems to be drinking but he's still eating his pellets!! But we're finding it hard to get his meds down him without stressing him out big time! So he's getting as much as we can get in his mouth!!
I'll keep doing the wet veggies, he seems to be urinating too so he's clearing getting some water!

I'll keep you updated.
Zoë & Rolo xxx

He's perked up a bit, he seems to have a good day then an off day?
We've started feeding him veggies more now only due to the lack of water he seems to be drinking but he's still eating his pellets!! But we're finding it hard to get his meds down him without stressing him out big time! So he's getting as much as we can get in his mouth!!
I'll keep doing the wet veggies, he seems to be urinating too so he's clearing getting some water!

I'll keep you updated.
Zoë & Rolo xxx

Sounds like you and Rolo are doing great :wave:

Bunnies in Rolo's situation will have up and down days. Hopefully the down days will fade out and he'll soon be better. It's sometimes difficult to get the meds down - I know sometimes it's possible to shoot Baytril on the wall behind the sofa :shock:

I'm thinking Rolo could be going blind in one eye at least you hold veggies out in your hand or place them down and he has to use his nose for ages to find them. I can cope with that but his right eye seems very swollen and red, I'm keeeping on with the eye drops and getting as much meds as I can down him (not great amounts) but don't want to stress him!
He's been into the kitchen tonight to see us, and still eating, no drinking water as of yet, but going with the veggies and he's still urinating.
His nodules on his neck seem to be going down and on his ears, but I'm watching the one on his nose, his beard and round his eyes. They're my main concern and we can't weigh him anymore as he HATES being picked up now :( I'm working on the picking up part. (We used to pick him up for his meds- so he suspects that now)

I'm again taking it day by day but just thought I'd update you all

Lots of love

Zoë & Rolo xxx

I'm thinking Rolo could be going blind in one eye at least you hold veggies out in your hand or place them down and he has to use his nose for ages to find them. I can cope with that but his right eye seems very swollen and red, I'm keeeping on with the eye drops and getting as much meds as I can down him (not great amounts) but don't want to stress him!
He's been into the kitchen tonight to see us, and still eating, no drinking water as of yet, but going with the veggies and he's still urinating.
His nodules on his neck seem to be going down and on his ears, but I'm watching the one on his nose, his beard and round his eyes. They're my main concern and we can't weigh him anymore as he HATES being picked up now :( I'm working on the picking up part. (We used to pick him up for his meds- so he suspects that now)

I'm again taking it day by day but just thought I'd update you all

Lots of love

Zoë & Rolo xxx

Thank you for updating Zoe :)

I hope his eyes turn out to be OK, but I feel it's early days and I hope he makes good progress. He seems to be holding his own in other areas .. I'm glad to hear that some of his nodules are going down at least.

Vibes for the rest of him to get better xx

I really hope rolo carries on fighting this horrible virus. You are doing amazing with him and he is so lucky to have you. Loads and loads of vibes for rolo and you too. xxxxx Come on little boy stay strong.xxx

Sending loads more vibes for brave Rolo. My vet told me not to be too concerned about the nodules, but to concentrate on eating and breathing.

So he seems a bit more lively today, today we've ran out of loxicom but I want to see how he goes without it, we've kept the antibiotics going but I don't think he's been having a full dose anyway (aiming and firing haha - but at least it's some!!)
He's maintaining weight and still eating, breathing isn't so fast now unless we stress him out.

He hopped into the kitchen and into the living room today, just one module on his eye seems sore and like he's caught it, I'm conscious of it and keeping my eye on it !

Water intake is rubbish but we're still giving him wet veggies!

So he seems a bit more lively today, today we've ran out of loxicom but I want to see how he goes without it, we've kept the antibiotics going but I don't think he's been having a full dose anyway (aiming and firing haha - but at least it's some!!)
He's maintaining weight and still eating, breathing isn't so fast now unless we stress him out.

He hopped into the kitchen and into the living room today, just one module on his eye seems sore and like he's caught it, I'm conscious of it and keeping my eye on it !

Water intake is rubbish but we're still giving him wet veggies!

Well done you for keeping going :D

Yes I know the aim and fire technique :lol:

Pleased to see this update. You are both doing very well. I know you'll be monitoring him very carefully, but make sure that he's still eating well without the pain relief.

Another little update!
Rolo is still eating and wet veggies over water. He's been outside today for a few minutes (cleaning the sheets in his room and he hopped outside!) he's hopped into the kitchen!
He's got a nodule on his nose that's irritating him but looks like it's drying out, and one of his eyes is drying up but I think he keeps catching it whilst washing!
He seems quite happy in himself though!!
I am going to only give him one dose of antibiotics and try and wean him off them rather than stop altogether, and keep on with the eye drops until they run out.

Lots of love,

Zoë & Rolo xxx

Another little update!
Rolo is still eating and wet veggies over water. He's been outside today for a few minutes (cleaning the sheets in his room and he hopped outside!) he's hopped into the kitchen!
He's got a nodule on his nose that's irritating him but looks like it's drying out, and one of his eyes is drying up but I think he keeps catching it whilst washing!
He seems quite happy in himself though!!
I am going to only give him one dose of antibiotics and try and wean him off them rather than stop altogether, and keep on with the eye drops until they run out.

Lots of love,

Zoë & Rolo xxx

Hi Zoe

Glad to hear this!

Did the vet suggest weaning him off the antibiotics? We usually stop the course to prevent antibiotics resistance building up, but be guided by your vet in Rolo's case.

Lots of vibes xx

Hi Might-max

thanks for that I wasn't sure if you were supposed to wean them off it or just stop altogether so I will continue doses until the antibiotic has finished :) thanks for your help.
Vet hasn't advised - they're waiting for me to put a repeat in but I want to see how he goes on before getting any more!

Thankyou for your help and I'll keep you updated :) xxx

I'm so glad to hear that Rolo is still fighting. Personally I would keep going with the antibiotics and the loxicom probably for a good few weeks more yet, there is a risk of him going downhill quite rapidly if his body is reliant on those to give him an extra boost and keep secondary infection at bay while his body is still repairing. Delilah was vaccinated and she had antibiotics for about 6 weeks and had the metacam for about 12 weeks in total. She came down with it in July and I've only recently stopped all her medication. The loxicom is both a pain killer, so will help him feel much more comfy and happy around those sore bits (and eyes if he has any ulcers from the scabs around them), but it's also an anti-inflammatory so it will help to keep the swelling down too. Wishing all the best for you xx

Hi Might-max

thanks for that I wasn't sure if you were supposed to wean them off it or just stop altogether so I will continue doses until the antibiotic has finished :) thanks for your help.
Vet hasn't advised - they're waiting for me to put a repeat in but I want to see how he goes on before getting any more!

Thankyou for your help and I'll keep you updated :) xxx

You're very welcome :thumb:

Yes I think you're wise to wait and see how things are before getting a repeat. You and your vet can assess closer to the time :)

Another little update; he's hopping about really well, the nodules are turning black now? Is that a good sign?
He's eating and now drinking from his bottle!! :) fingers crossed!!

Lots of love,
Zoë & Rolo

Another little update; he's hopping about really well, the nodules are turning black now? Is that a good sign?
He's eating and now drinking from his bottle!! :) fingers crossed!!

Lots of love,
Zoë & Rolo

The nodules sound to be dying off and will start to fall off soon.This is normal. Some nodules may leave quite a deep crater, so you'll need to make sure the new tissue is looking 'healthy' and that there is no pus. A little bleeding may occur when a nodule comes off, but it should not be an ongoing issue :)

Is Rolo eating OK and maintaining his weight ? How's his breathing now ?

Back