• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nodular Myxi

Thanks for all your wishes, he seemed a bit sad yesterday, and after his meds this morning, but I hand fed him his pellets this morning just to make sure he is still eating (before I leave for work) we got him a snuggle safe (if that's what it's called) - dad was concerned as it's getting cold! He's dropped from 3.4kg to 3.2kg but maintained 3.2kg for 2 days.
His left eye looks less swollen and not shutting, and some nodules on his neck have gone down.
It's day by day and that's how we're taking it.
Thankyou for all your wishes and advice, I really really appreciate it!

Lots of love
Zoë & Rolo xxx

Yes, day by day is all you (or any of us) can do . I really hope he maintains his weight and continues to feel better x

Thanks for all your wishes, he seemed a bit sad yesterday, and after his meds this morning, but I hand fed him his pellets this morning just to make sure he is still eating (before I leave for work) we got him a snuggle safe (if that's what it's called) - dad was concerned as it's getting cold! He's dropped from 3.4kg to 3.2kg but maintained 3.2kg for 2 days.
His left eye looks less swollen and not shutting, and some nodules on his neck have gone down.
It's day by day and that's how we're taking it.
Thankyou for all your wishes and advice, I really really appreciate it!

Lots of love
Zoë & Rolo xxx

Hopefully he will manage to maintain his weight and it is good news that his eye is less swollen now. I am sure that he will appreciate the snuggle safe xx

He's like 'what's this your putting in my bed!' Haha, not sure if he likes it yet, but it's there! Mum thought he seemed a bit brighter when she came in from work, and has gone back up to 3.3kg! -not far off his original weight! I'm sort of getting positive vibes off him aswell.
On Friday I'll probably have to get some more meds for him, the eye drops have been a great help!
I'm hoping he will pull through this horrible virus!
I'm going to keep sending your vibes to him :) Thankyou all! :)

Lots of love

Zoë & Rolo xxxx

He's like 'what's this your putting in my bed!' Haha, not sure if he likes it yet, but it's there! Mum thought he seemed a bit brighter when she came in from work, and has gone back up to 3.3kg! -not far off his original weight! I'm sort of getting positive vibes off him aswell.
On Friday I'll probably have to get some more meds for him, the eye drops have been a great help!

Lots of love

Zoë & Rolo xxxx

Some buns love the snuggle safe but it's a bit hard for others :D Once he feels the cold it will be really nice for him to have it around.

More vibes coming your way :D

Lots of love

Zoë & Rolo xxxx

If you rub some of his usual bedding over the snuggle safe it will make it smell more familiar to him :) Sending more vibes for him xx

I'm sure you've done this, but I put lots of fresh hay over Marmalade's snugglesafe otherwise it is very hard and also too hot. I heat it for about 8 minutes and it lasts all day (and then again all night).

(I spend ages testing if I've got it all suitably covered so she doesn't burn herself, I must look like I have a dreadful case of OCD, which I don't lol, but I am paranoid she'll burn herself.)

Hope he is continuing to hold his own with all your hard work xx

I'm sure you've done this, but I put lots of fresh hay over Marmalade's snugglesafe otherwise it is very hard and also too hot. I heat it for about 8 minutes and it lasts all day (and then again all night).

(I spend ages testing if I've got it all suitably covered so she doesn't burn herself, I must look like I have a dreadful case of OCD, which I don't lol, but I am paranoid she'll burn herself.)

Hope he is continuing to hold his own with all your hard work xx

Yes, I don't use them so much now, but I do this for outdoor buns and for indoor (and non biting!) I put a soft outer case on x

Update on Rolo he's not great at the moment, seems sad again, and panting a bit, he's not seeming to be drinking either, eating is okay for now but I'm preparing for the worst :( xxxx

Update on Rolo he's not great at the moment, seems sad again, and panting a bit, he's not seeming to be drinking either, eating is okay for now but I'm preparing for the worst :( xxxx

Poor man :cry: I would give the Vet a call to update her. As you probably know the rapid breathing is not a good prognostic sign :cry: Personally I would want the Vet to admit Rolo to get him onto some oxygen and some very heavy duty injectable antibiotics.

I am hoping for a miracle for him xx

Oh no, I'm so sorry to see that Rolo is not doing so well :-( I agree with Jane, when Delilah was at her worst we spent a lot of time at the vets giving her oxygen and fluids. When their breathing is problematic they don't want to drink for fear of inhaling it I think, so Having fluids injected can really help. Unfortunately it's not uncommon for rabbits to get this far and take a turn for the worst, so I think you may also need to prepare yourself in case the vet thinks it's in Rolos best interests to say goodbye. I hope he can keep on fighting x

Hi all,

Update, he's still eating and we're washing the lettuce so he gets some water intake, mums keeping an eye on him today as she's off work the. We can decide on what to do for the best. I prepared myself for the goodbye last night, and he doesn't seem as sad this morning, he's hopped into the middle of the room, I don't think he's doing great, but we'll see how he is today and go from there, I've said from the start we would never keep trying to save him if he's in pain just let him go to sleep and not keep him stressed. But at least I know I tried to help him!

I'll update you all on tonight's progress when I'm home.
I've continued the eye drops as he doesn't seem to mind having them and tried 0.4mg of baytrill this morning but no idea if I got it in his mouth!!

Xxx

Back