• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No pellet feeding anyone?

Sam_Spice

Mama Doe
Anyone here have their buns on a no pellet routine?

Is there any 'ideal' veg/herb/nutrients list available to ensure our buns get the best? (a piggie one would be great too :thumb:)

Currently they (3buns+3pigs) much their way through 2 bales of a hay a month, veggies - mainly spring greens - daily, and scrap veg peelings -carrots/parsnips/swede/broccoli/cauliflower normally once a week.

Wild rosemary is everywhere, each house in our close has bushes/hedges of it now its getting out of control so this is free to us, but other than that they don't get many herbs unless I see some reduced :oops:

Touchwood we have 6 healthy animals but I do worry they might miss out despite being fine last year without pellets for a large part of the year.

Love to hear anyone else's opinions/stories/advice :D

I was just thinking this today actually. Mine only have the smallest amount of pellets, and as it's summer now I was thinking of cutting them out altogether. :?

I was just thinking this today actually. Mine only have the smallest amount of pellets, and as it's summer now I was thinking of cutting them out altogether. :?

That's what happened to ours last year when we ended up waiting for 3 months for our A&P pellets to arrive so we weaned them off their p@h food. They all seemed fine without it, although getting them in from the garden became trickier :lol:

Mine currently only have four SS Mature pellets each per day (as a treat really) because I'm dieting them! Other than that it's fresh grass, hay and a wide selection of veggies and herbs.

I've tried the buns on every brand of dry food there is, except Oxbow, and they react to all of them. I cut dry food out completely 3 years ago now and they're doing fine (except that Ginger Bun is hugely underweight, but that's due to intestinal damage). If you think about it wildie buns don't eat pellets, so it's actually more natural that way. :)

Last edited:
Mine currently only have four SS Mature pellets each per day (as a treat really) because I'm dieting them! Other than that it's fresh grass, hay and a wide selection of veggies and herbs.

This is how ours got, we hand fed them (the guinea pigs also learned tricks this way :oops: :lol: ) not that the rabbit paid a seconds notice to learning :lol: I prefer pellets as a treat as surely their healthier as random bought treats for their tums :D

I've tried the buns on every brand of dry food there is, except Oxbow, and they react to all of them. I cut dry food out completely 3 years ago now and they're doing fine (except that Ginger Bun is hugely underweight, but that's due to intestinal damge). If you think about it wildie buns don't eat pellets, so it's actually more natural that way. :)

Thanks, ours have always seemed fine, their all young and healthy and hopefully they'll stay that way for years and years and years :roll::love: So theirs no exact amount of specific nutrients/vitamins that they desperately need?

Last edited:
Back