• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips for a gastric prone bunny.

sunnibunny

Alpha Buck
My bunny has been rather problematic in terms of gastric issues. She has had bloat, stasis and all sorts of illeus issues.

We all know the basics of getting our bunny back to health, ie. Good pellet fibre content, hay and having medication on stand by etc.

But here are tips that I have found out through experience to keeping your bun happy generally so to have less trips to the vet.

So my bunny is not a hay eater......at all!!! plus she gets gas on most vegetables except carrot. So I have to give her forage and know that her poops in relation to the average will be smaller and darker. But I realised I can not let her have too much of any one thing either! Its all about moderation. But whats the moderation?!? Think of it as a salad you eat yourself, its made up predominantly of lettuce, then SOME tomatoes, a FEW peppers, and a TINY bit of spring onions for flavour!! That's what a bunny salad should be with hay/grass mainly, mixed in with some plantain and blackberry leaves, a few dandelions, apple leaves, rose petals and veg varieties and a sprinkling of herb Robert, clover, vetch, sticky weed, hogweed etc. This gives you the basic idea, obviously tailor it to each individual rabbit and when they havent been eating at all just give whatever they like just to get guts moving again. Eg. Extra dandelion in my case.

Next is exercise, truly you have no idea!! It literally gets the guts moving! Its no use if your bunny is out in its pen and just sits there, which is what mine did! Despite that I had a huge pen for her, with lots of toys which got rotated. She was bored of the same ole thing and thus sat there on the grass. It took me a while to realise that she was actually a bunny explorer of the natural world. Ie. Didnt want her bunny tube, but rather the maze that is my rose bush. She wanted to be free range totally, going into bushes, around the trees, under the log pile etc. This kept her interested in new different things, which keeps her exploring, thus active and so guts moving! So now she forages herself during the day, checks on my gardening and weeding progress while getting a head rub from me with one hand and a trowel in the other as she also liked the company but also free to hop off. I know to this extent is not possible for everyone, but keep it in mind of what alternatively you can do.

Now I realise all bunnies are different, but these things certainly have helped me and may give you some ideas. If anyone else have tips, please post. :)

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How lovely you've got to know your bun so well :wave:

I love the picture of a head rub with one hand and a trowel in the other :lol:

Thank you for the tips :)

I think exercise is a very good point. If you think about it wild rabbits would be moving as they eat, not like our pampered pets sat in front of a hay pile gorging! :lol:

Back