• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie here: wondering, should I get 2 rescue rabbits

Hello. Newbie here and I am in a quandary!

For several weeks I have been thinking about getting a couple of rescue rabbits after a possibility of fostering 2 fell through. I have owned rabbits before (when I was a teenager, many moons ago!) and understand about their needs etc. The rabbits are for me (a 40+ single female). I have several pets already, including 7 guinea pigs who live in an insulated shed. I also own 4 cats, 2 chinchillas and a Chinese hamster. I have a well-paid job so vet fees/other costs aren't an issue.

These are my thoughts/wonderings:
I have spent ages looking at hutches and runs online and looking at various rabbit websites. I would love to get an 8 foot hutch but not sure if the extra cost makes it's worth it. Plus it would be difficult for me to move around. I do have comfortable space for a 6ft hutch and 6x8ft run. They would also be able to have free range of the garden when I'm out there. I don't like animals being outside in the winter, so am thinking I would bring them indoors into the garage or conservatory (whichever happens to be warmer at the time). The garage isn't used for anything other than storage so there is no danger from car fumes. (I think trying to move an 8ft hutch through the doors would be impossible.

I am trying to be practical and level headed about this, but have made the mistake of looking at rescue sites and falling for a pair of buns. (from RSPCA: neutered, vaccinated, chipped)

Would I be daft to get these buns? My heart is saying get them. Especially as one of them has poor eyesight and I am a sucker for rescuing animals that have something 'wrong' with them. My head is saying stick with what you've got, someone else might come along and offer them an even better home than I can.

Please, any advice would be welcome! I don't want to make a decision I'll regret either way!
Thank you.

Hi, welcome to the forum :wave:

My name is Ashleigh, I have a double maned baby Lionhead neamed Snow Cloud xD
My advice would be to rescue these rabbits and get two hutches, on that is permanently outsife, the other which is a lighter in door hutch (you did say cost is not an issue) so that would make the most sense for you.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy spending time on Rabbits United.

Thank you Ashleigh. Getting a second hutch is a great idea. It would mean I can get a larger one without having to worry about moving it in and out.
I wish I could add a picture to show you what the rabbits look like!

Ah I say get them :) Sounds like you can provide a loving home for them with good size accommodation with a run in the garden. You would have 6 months to sort out the indoor accommodation.

I'm not good with outdoor accommodation (mine are indoors) but people have some amazing set ups that you'll be able to browse in the housing bit. Alot of people seem to prefer avaries (if I had outside bunnies I think this would be my preferred choice). The more space the better - I'd say extra cost in this case is always worth it

I also vote for you getting a pair of rescue bunnies + i wouldn't worry about somebody else possibly offering them a better home, there are many thousands of rescue bunnies needing good homes.

welcome to RU by the way

Thank you joey&boo.
I haven't really got the right set up for an aviary or anything tall unless it's placed in the hottest part of the garden, which is not ideal!
I do have a 10x3foot gazebo which currently houses a bench and only gets the sun in the evening that an 8 foot hutch would fit in perfectly which is my default plan at the moment :lol:
Thanks for the suggestion though. I have had a good squizz at the various set ups and wish I had a giant garden!

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

It sounds like you have really thought things through and might end up regretting it if you didn't get them.

Good luck with whatever you decide x

Hi :wave:
I haven't been on the forum long but there is so much good info to learn! I would say go for it, you sound like a great owner and I'm sure you will give them a wonderful home... honestly from getting my two bunnies - I haven't regretted it one bit :love: xxxxx

Update

Have managed to get hold of RSPCA who say rabbits are still available.
I need to make a decision! I know if I go and see them I will want them, so I need to think this through calmly!:oops:
Am thinking of getting a 6x2 CHartwell hutch and an 8x6 run that attaches to it for the outside.

Have managed to get hold of RSPCA who say rabbits are still available.
I need to make a decision! I know if I go and see them I will want them, so I need to think this through calmly!:oops:
Am thinking of getting a 6x2 CHartwell hutch and an 8x6 run that attaches to it for the outside.

I think if you already know what hutch and run to attach it then I would say your decision is pretty much made. What are their names

The RSPCA have asked me what my set-up is. I've explained my plans. They are going to speak to the 'rabbit person' tomorrow when she's in and see what she says.
If they say it's not good enough then that's my answer...

Good luck :thumb: If you have room, you could also perhaps consider a shed or playhouse, then you could sit in with them. You also wouldn't have to worry about wind and/or rain getting into the hutch.

In your position if an avairy isn't an option, I'd go for a shed with attached run as it will be easier for you to interact with them. For winter you could have a set up inside using puppy panels with boxes etc for them to use as hideouts.

Well done for opting for rescue rabbits. I have some older and special needs buns and they are particularly rewarding. All bunnies are lovely though. :)

Back