• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to rabbits, is grass essential?

Cockerlass

New Kit
Hi,

I am new to rabbits so please go easy on me :wave: :wave:

I don't have any rabbits yet, but hopefully in the new year I plan to get two rescue rabbits.

I have just got the collins book "Rabbit a practical guide to caring for your rabbit" which covers pretty much everything I think...

I take it the English and dutch rabbits are the best for first time rabbit owners?

I have seen a hutch on ebay with a run underneath. It's 6ft by 4 ft...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260190173657

What's you opinion on this?

I have a dog so although I plan on letting the rabbits out into the garden for a full run each day ( when the dog is being walked and is securely indoors ) the majority of it will be in the run.

Also, does the garden have to have grass? My garden is 90% paving stones, with a little section ( about seven foot by two foot) that is a few plants but no real grass as such. Is this a problem? Can i substitute with other things?
If it is then I'll have to delay getting them until the spring time, as I'll need to turf that section.

Honest answers much appreciated :wave:

Thanks

and i think ur at an advtange, cos not only will the stones help them with there claws,itll stop them digging out, and stuff digging in :D

:wave: I looked at those hutches on ebay a while back - they look quite good. Never got out a tape measure and worked it out but they look quite big in the pic. There are other people on here who can recommend some hutches to look at too if you want more options.

Lots of people have paved areas in their gardens and that is fine for bunnies. Some people even have paved areas of run for their bunnies so they can't dig and is less mess in the winter.

As long as they have loads of nice good quality hay to much on they will be fine - you can pick dandelions and stuff for them and they have fresh green stuff in their veges too.

This is a great place to ask loads of questions and some people on here are like bunny dictionaries and everyone is happy to answer 100s of questions so ask away!:)

Hi,
Well they need hay (dried grass) as the main part of their diet, so that should be available 24/7 within the hutch :)

Hi,

oh yeah of course :D I knew they needed hay in their hutches, but do they need fresh growing grass ie a lawn? or is the hay and other stuff sufficient?

I know this is basic stuff to you guys. I know absolutely loads about dogs but not much about rabbits. I need to learn as much as possible :D

:wave: Pavers are ideal for them to run on as it keeps their claws worn down and of course they do tend to dig out of a grass enclosure! Mine certainly would anyway - concrete is also easier to disinfect! Mine never go on grass and are perfectly healthy - when the grass is nice in summer I pick them handfuls of long grass, which they go mad for, but they must not have short clippings that have been lying around as they ferment.

They mainly need to eat hay, which was a real problem for me when I first got my rabbits about 3yrs ago - pet shops often sell poor quality hay, so it's best to get it from a farm shop or riding stables if you have a car. Shopping around for good hay is best done before you get any rabbits really - I get mine online as I have no car.

That hutch on e-bay is good - assuming it's the happyhutch one? As for bunnies they are all different in temperament - there's so many in rescues all over the country it's best to go along to one and meet the rabbits and see if you fall in love - they do have lots of babies to rehome too :)

Hi,

oh yeah of course :D I knew they needed hay in their hutches, but do they need fresh growing grass ie a lawn? or is the hay and other stuff sufficient?

I know this is basic stuff to you guys. I know absolutely loads about dogs but not much about rabbits. I need to learn as much as possible :D

dw bout it, its better to research isnt it, and were always happy to help out!:D

as for the breed thing, any breed will suit you really, except maybe high maintence ones like angoras or something lol! hutch looks good!:D x

:D
:wave: I looked at those hutches on ebay a while back - they look quite good. Never got out a tape measure and worked it out but they look quite big in the pic. There are other people on here who can recommend some hutches to look at too if you want more options.

To be honest, I measured the space in my garden today and they are actually not that big but they claim to be "the biggest".

Yes would love recommendations on other hutches please :D Although I don't have endless space but could possibly go a little bit bigger than this if needed.

My garden has an eight foot wall so there is absolutely no chance of them escaping outside of the garden whilst they are running free :D

This is a great place to ask loads of questions and some people on here are like bunny dictionaries and everyone is happy to answer 100s of questions so ask away!:)

aw thanks, you all seem ssooo friendly :D

One more question, when they are out of their runs, how easy are they to catch? or does it depend massively on the individual rabbit? Reason I am asking is that I walk my dog for an hour each morning before work. I was thinking that I could let the rabbits out into the garden for a run whilst I'm out with my dog, and then just pop them back in their hutches/runs before i leave for work. Or does it not work as easy as that? :)

That hutch on e-bay is good - assuming it's the happyhutch one?

Yes I'll definately buy that one - have asked everyone for money for xmas :lol:

They have quite a few big ones now in pets at home but i refuse to give them my money as i have strong views on their ethics but that's another story :evil:

Yes I drive so I can source some good hay. Although how do you know if it's good Hay ? :oops:

Most farms and good markets will have a good quality hay :) you could also get people from the area off here to recommend places.
i give up trying to find a big enuff hutch.. im just gunna buy my lot a shed in the summer :D

One more question, when they are out of their runs, how easy are they to catch? or does it depend massively on the individual rabbit? Reason I am asking is that I walk my dog for an hour each morning before work. I was thinking that I could let the rabbits out into the garden for a run whilst I'm out with my dog, and then just pop them back in their hutches/runs before i leave for work. Or does it not work as easy as that? :)

bribery will get them back rather than chasing..... ive noticed Alvin thrives on routine so getting him in usually happens at veg time ;) ;)

bribery will get them back rather than chasing.....

So it's the same routine I use for my dog then :lol:

i just want them to have as much time "free" as possible. I don't really like the idea of a hutch if I'm honest but i have a dog and so have to be practical.

Most bunny owners also feed their buns veggies and a small handful of rabbit pellets a day. If your bun likes these (and most buns really do) you can bribe them to go anywhere by rattling a few pellets in a bowl, or waving some greens/carrot at them. They will follow you anywhere!
:)
As for which breed,... the difficult ones are the ones which have long coats which need daily brushing, and the larger sized buns which need more room.
Apart from that, there are hundreds of lovely buns on here dying for a loving home.... take your pick.

Spare a thought for the expense of annual injections and neutering if not already done, and the odd vet bill which hopefully wont arise, and off you go!

The hardest part of keeping buns is not wanting to adopt all the lovelies on this site.:roll:

once they settle in theyll rule the dog :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alvin is most definatley boss in this house :shock: :shock:

and petplan do pretty gud insurance if u wanna ever insure them ;)

That was my next question thanks. I have my dog insured with Petplan & agree they are good :D but was wondering if rabbit insurance was worth it? By that I mean , the only reason I have my dog insured is in case something big happened that would cost a good few hundred or thousands of pounds, is it likely that something will be so expensive with a rabbit?

How much do you pay if you don't mind me asking ?

That was my next question thanks. I have my dog insured with Petplan & agree they are good :D but was wondering if rabbit insurance was worth it? By that I mean , the only reason I have my dog insured is in case something big happened that would cost a good few hundred or thousands of pounds, is it likely that something will be so expensive with a rabbit?

How much do you pay if you don't mind me asking ?

Well to be quite honest, my rabbit Phoebe was rushed to the vets 3 times within 2 months because of severe dioreha. I pay £15 for my 2 rabbits with an excess of £50 which i think is fantastic because sometimes its cost me nearly £100 for treatment, when to be honest ive not had the £100's there to spend on them and its left me struggling for the rest of the month. I got 2 months free aswell, and get perks like holistic treatments,help finding them for rewards/posters! I think its deffo worth it because so much can go wrong and its always best to have it there in place because big stuff can happen to buns!

You only pay the excess once per the condition tho, so if phoebe went to the vets for a broken leg for example id pay the £50 and that would cover any return trips, to do with his broken leg. I think mine is only that high tho cos ive had phoebe to the vets that often. It'll go up to £20 a month when i add my 3rd bun Holli XX

ive got Alvin insured because i think with rabbits being so delicate its well worth it.....i really hope i never have to claim tho *fingers crossed*

Back