• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit

sgraft92

New Kit
Hi guys

I currently have a mini lop who is almost 8 months old - she was neutered about 1 and a half-2 months ago.
About a week ago I got another mini lion lop male who is around 9 weeks - he is in the same room but a separate cage obviously. I am planning to get him castrated when he is about 12-13weeks!

Since yesterday my 8 month old mini lop has been "odd" - I was giving her a wood chew and she jumped up and bit my finger... I don't know if she meant to or she went for the chew and missed and got my finger.
Also I let her out today, she was running round the room and sniffing the 9 week old through the bars of his cage - I was a bit panicky so I was on standby in case she went for him... problem is whenever I got close she would literally lunge at me (hasn't tried biting me again *touch wood*)

Has anyone else experienced this? She was such a lovely rabbit, didn't expect her to behave like this at all, but I am assuming it is quite normal from the research I have done. Can people give me advice and let me know about their experiences to make me feel better about this? I hope she will calm down soon - will it help once the boy has been castrated etc?

I really don't want her to hate me/be aggressive towards me as we had such a good bond before :(

Thanks

Yeah I did think that, do you think I should keep them in the same room till the boy has been castrated then leave it a month or so then try to bond? Or shall I move him out of the room till he has been castrated? :) thanks for your reply.

If it were me I would put him in another room to avoid the risk of spoiling any chance of bonding when the time comes.

Thank you I will look to do that :) then when I want to start bonding once he's been castrated I'll move him back into the room with Violet. <3

Female rabbits are very territorial so she is protecting her space. When the time comes to introduce them this will need to be done in an area where she has not been before.

Daphne done this to me when we first got Phoebe (neither were spayed at the time). After a day she settled down and stopped lunging at me & gradually they started to bond through the bars.

Thanks for your help everyone. I have moved him out of the room and have noticed violet has calmed down already. Will get him castrated when he's old enough then look to move him in the room and begin the bonding process in a neutral space. Thanks again:)

Back