• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Pellets

These sound really good. Too expensive for me though but with just 2 Bunnies a bag should last quite a while. I use PAH ordinary pellets.

They look more like the ones I used to feed and the buns were fine on them. Yes they are expensive, but luckily two NDs don't eat much. Definitely cheaper than the emergency vets though.

They look more like the ones I used to feed and the buns were fine on them. Yes they are expensive, but luckily two NDs don't eat much. Definitely cheaper than the emergency vets though.

I hope new pellets help. You got that right. One trip to er vets could feed them for many years, even without considering stress and lost time at work.

In a different post,Jacks jane mentioned that cold pressed pellets are better than extruded ones. Not sure what type these are. We have different brands here though I wonder if my nd, Raven would benefit from a change in pellets even though he eats about one tablespoon of pellets each day, if that.

I hope new pellets help. You got that right. One trip to er vets could feed them for many years, even without considering stress and lost time at work.

In a different post,Jacks jane mentioned that cold pressed pellets are better than extruded ones. Not sure what type these are. We have different brands here though I wonder if my nd, Raven would benefit from a change in pellets even though he eats about one tablespoon of pellets each day, if that.

They say this.....Developed at low temperature to preserve nutrients

Do you think that means cold pressed?

Mine only each 15g each a day, so not much. But I think they swell up in their teeny tummies

Haven't used them myself, but jw do they need pellets? Atticus and Clementine are better without tbh

Apricot doesn't have any atm but ima re introduce them because she's a bit underweight

Haven't used them myself, but jw do they need pellets? Atticus and Clementine are better without tbh

Apricot doesn't have any atm but ima re introduce them because she's a bit underweight
Going to phone my vet tomorrow and see what he thinks. But just looking at options.

Going to phone my vet tomorrow and see what he thinks. But just looking at options.
Yea definitely speak to your vet :) I was just thinking if they're causing issues they aren't like super necessary.

The best ones I found were the grain free science selective ones for my lot, Atticus could tolerate them [emoji38]

Yea definitely speak to your vet :) I was just thinking if they're causing issues they aren't like super necessary.

The best ones I found were the grain free science selective ones for my lot, Atticus could tolerate them [emoji38]
Yes they are another one I've looked at.

It might not be anything to do with them to be honest, just hoping it is that cos its easy to fix.

They are both eating a lot more hay tonight, so maybe the pellets were just filling them up too much

They say this.....Developed at low temperature to preserve nutrients

Do you think that means cold pressed?

Mine only each 15g each a day, so not much. But I think they swell up in their teeny tummies
IDK if cold pressed, though grain free should contain fewer carbs so that would be better for bacterial balance in gut, and not being heated should preserve nutrients.

15g /day is the most Raven eats even if I gave him more, often less. He is my dental nd and I give him pellets to maintain weight, though he prefers greens and hay, when his poorly teeth allow him to eat hay.

Does Pip eat pellets fast? If so, and she needs them for weight maintenance/nutrition, you may also want to split her daily allotment to limit what she can put in her teenie tummy in each sitting.

IDK if cold pressed, though grain free should contain fewer carbs so that would be better for bacterial balance in gut, and not being heated should preserve nutrients.

15g /day is the most Raven eats even if I gave him more, often less. He is my dental nd and I give him pellets to maintain weight, though he prefers greens and hay, when his poorly teeth allow him to eat hay.

Does Pip eat pellets fast? If so, and she needs them for weight maintenance/nutrition, you may also want to split her daily allotment to limit what she can put in her teenie tummy in each sitting.

They are both fast eaters! Like little hungry piglets. We do feed them in small amounts. They get 3 meals a day, of 5g each.

Just checked and my current pellets are cold pressed. [emoji848]

Jane will watch that video when OH wakes up.

They are both fast eaters! Like little hungry piglets. We do feed them in small amounts. They get 3 meals a day, of 5g each.
Totally spoiled :lol: My outdoor ones are currently on 10 pellets max each once a day XD IIRC you can't feed with a treatball or similar because yours get aggressive? Or was that someone else's? We modify amounts based on how much variety/amount of forage they get as it changes each day :thumb: But then we've rarely had gas, we get excess ceacos instead (mine are on Excel). Lopsy is (and Aboleth was) a fast eating pellet munching MACHINE, Chibbs can take 'em or leave 'em: night before last, she just didn't want them and went straight outside for bramble. Then I have to wrestle the bowl back from Lopsy :lol: He gives me the Pitying Puppy Eyes look every time XD I dn't have any answers for you, but maybe see if decreasing their current pellets even further would change things, perhaps it might help Pip have less gas, but might also mean she loses weight? Worth checking (assuming you can wiegh or otherwise estimate her weight easily :thumb:)

I tried to speak to the vet today, but he was too busy, which is understandable. They want me to bring them in, but as they hate travel so much, I'm loathe to stress them anymore.

I'm thinking of not feeding pellets for 2 weeks and see how we go and then take it from there.

If i decide to introduce a new pellet, do I just feed a few a day to get then used to it?

I've only ever slowly decreased an old pellet and introduced another new one.

Might try emailing the vet with my plan and see what they say [emoji848]

I tried to speak to the vet today, but he was too busy, which is understandable. They want me to bring them in, but as they hate travel so much, I'm loathe to stress them anymore.

I'm thinking of not feeding pellets for 2 weeks and see how we go and then take it from there.

If i decide to introduce a new pellet, do I just feed a few a day to get then used to it?

I've only ever slowly decreased an old pellet and introduced another new one.

Might try emailing the vet with my plan and see what they say [emoji848]
Sounds like a good plan. If I was reintroducing pellets, I'd do the same as if mixing, but 'without the mixing' if you see what I mean :lol: So yeah, what you suggest :)

Just checked and my current pellets are cold pressed. [emoji848]

Jane will watch that video when OH wakes up.
Perhaps scatter pellets to slow eating? Eating fast may mean more likely to eat more than teenie tummies can handle. Also try removing one meal's pellets and monitor weight and see if eat enough hay to compensate for fewer pellets.. I know how hard it is to resist their cute faces though.

Perhaps scatter pellets to slow eating? Eating fast may mean more likely to eat more than teenie tummies can handle. Also try removing one meal's pellets and monitor weight and see if eat enough hay to compensate for fewer pellets.. I know how hard it is to resist their cute faces though.
We can't scatter Pip turns into a piglet a d fights Archie.

I'm going to try no pellets first. They've been happy having 15g each of their old.pellets for years. t's actually not very much when you weigh it out. They are slightly bigger pellets but they get about 4 each time.

Back