• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Bunny doesn't eat Hay - Some dental work done.

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
I've taken on a new Rabbit nearly 18 months old. He just doesn't eat hay but will eat grass. His previous owner says he was eating Rabbit food and carrots. I keep picking grass for him but it is in short supply now. He is booked in for neuter on Wednesday and I wonder if it will be possible for the Vet to check his teeth at the same time? The old Vets would do but we have new ones now. Will his teeth still be ok if he hasn't been eating hay, I suppose it isn't easy to say. I have re-named him Louis, he is a black Lionhead, advertised as a Dwarf Lop X.

Last edited:
I would definitely get them to check his teeth while he is under anaesthetic, and ask them to do any work needed - maybe let them know beforehand, though, as they may have to allow extra time - but it's
the ideal opportunity to check.

I would definitely get them to check his teeth while he is under anaesthetic, and ask them to do any work needed - maybe let them know beforehand, though, as they may have to allow extra time - but it's
the ideal opportunity to check.

Ditto

What a nice surprise when I went out this morning - Louis had eaten nearly all the hay in his tray! I am so pleased so hopefully he will be ok. He got a very big Good Boy!

Aww maybe he just hadn't tried it properly yet and then realised how yummy it all was!

I would definitely ask the vets to check, lionheads often have issues and 18 months is about when Rodney needed his first dental. And it saves the stress of another ga if there are issues.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

No harm in asking the vet to check properly while he's under a GA - then you definitely know for future reference.

This was the first time he had eaten any hay in almost 2 weeks, although he had eaten some grass. I will ask the Vet if they can check him. We have different Vets now with different ways - no 2-day checks, no stitches to come out.

That's so good that Louis has started eating hay. :love: I think your asking the vet to check his teeth since he'll already be under GA sounds good, though. I hope his teeth will be fine, since he has been eating grass.

During the summer, mine ate hardly any hay at all, they weren't interested as they had loads of grass.
I assume they don't need hay if they have plenty of grass in the summer?

During the summer, mine ate hardly any hay at all, they weren't interested as they had loads of grass.
I assume they don't need hay if they have plenty of grass in the summer?

You are right, in fact grass is better than hay as it is more natural.

Louis is on his way to the Vets. He is being taken there by a lovely lady who is going to mention his teeth. He is such a lovable Bunny and it's sad they had to re-home him. Fingers crossed everything will be ok.

Thank you everybody! Not heard anything yet, it's always very worrying until you get that phone call saying everything went well.

He's home! :love: The Vets had phoned at 10.30 to say the op had gone well but they didn't leave a message so I thought they hadn't rang until I dialled 1471 and found their number. By this time his transport had arrived to pick him up. Anyway they gave him some fluid (a first) so he has a little bandage on his ear. There were no adviseries :) so teeth must have been good.

Back