• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New baby

Tamsin said:
Baby guineapigs are soo cute. Its amazing they pop out looking just like miniture adult piggies and start eating solids from the start :D Watching them follow their mum around is sooo sweet!

I think around two babies is average, they're quite big when they are born and have all their fur and eyes open.

Tam

Blimey :shock: I did'nt know that :shock: must be like us humans giving birth to a 2 year walking chatter box :lol: :lol: :lol:

certainly is a cutie pie :wink: :D

Strawberry is beautiful as ever Louise :D :D did you ever find out if he had fathered any more Babies :?: :?:

Eve, I believe strawberry came up from down Devon from Siobhan and Maries rescue :wink: Its in the rabbits in need section, and if memory serves me correctly, did'nt Lany do a bit of bunny napping :wink: and Tracy has officailly adopted Hugo (who is a BIG white Bun too) who was in that bunny run tooo :wink: :lol: :lol:

Denny said:
Blimey :shock: I did'nt know that :shock: must be like us humans giving birth to a 2 year walking chatter box :lol: :lol: :lol:

Exactly!!!
Imagine carrying one around inside you too :shock: :shock:
Or 5!! :shock: :shock:
That is what happened to Chocoate. She became so enormous she could no longer walk as her spine stretched. She looked like a football with legs sticking out :? She had to have caesarian and sadly the babies didn't survive :cry:

bunnylove said:
where did you get him louise?

eve x

He came up on the Bunny Run from Plymouth when Siobhan and Marie were trying to rescue a lot of French Lops under a death threat. Clover came with him, and Acorn too. Lany brought them the last leg and ended up Bunny Napping Zac. Hugo was another, that Tracy has decided to keep. Strawberry was supposed to be neutered but during the journey his missing bits turned up and he made Clover pregnant, but sadly she wasn't a great Mum and lost the baby:( I was worried that Marie might have ended up with lots of his progeny as he had been in with a group of does, but I never heard anything. Perhaps he only had eyes for Clover even then. He really does adore her.

doorkeeper said:
Denny said:

Exactly!!!
Imagine carrying one around inside you too :shock: :shock:
Or 5!! :shock: :shock:
That is what happened to Chocoate. She became so enormous she could no longer walk as her spine stretched. She looked like a football with legs sticking out :? She had to have caesarian and sadly the babies didn't survive :cry:

:shock: :shock: blimey Louise, I have got me legs crossed reading your post :shock: :lol: Are caesarians a big must then for G/piggies? I am just so amazed at these babies being born like mini adults :shock: There must be an element of high risk in g/pig pregnancies from what you have wrtitten :? The poor mommy piggies certainly have a hard pregnancy :(

They don't always have a hard time - Hatty Pig didn't have any trouble - but then she only had Finn. Chocolate's main problem was that she was another one that got pregnant very young, and so not only did she have 5 enormous babies inside her, but she was only part grown herself. She was probably no older than 4 weeks when she got pregnant :shock:

And not only can guineas get pregnant at 3 or 4 weeks old, if they don't have their first baby before they are 7 months old, their hips will have fused and lost the flexibility to open up and let out the huge babies, so then a caesarian becomes almost inevitable if the sow is not going to die. Their biology seems stacked against them :?

But if they get pregnant for the first time between 3 and 6 months they don't have too much trouble. If only it wasn't such a big But :roll:

But once they are born they have a big advantage being so well developed. Finn spent a good portion of today standing in the food bowl sampling all the different bits. He also did a good deal of mad dashing about and spent a lot of time literally under Hatty's feet. Poor mama piggies have to prop themselves up off the ground to let the babies feed. And he seemed to want to be under there even when not eating. Murphy really likes him too, and has been purring at him and nuzzling him :)

I lined him up for a great pic, eating out of the bowl, the flash went off, and then the camera died :( I need new batteries :x

Back