• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neville chewed a live wire - lucky escape & reminder to us all

Jesselle

Mama Doe
On Saturday morning, my other half rushed out of the house late and left the spare room door open (out of bounds to Neville). The spare room houses our Mac and other electrical items that aren't bunny proofed. I assumed all doors were closed and let Neville have his morning run up and down the stairs, as per his usual routine.

To cut a long story short, Neville went straight for the open door, nibbled the wire to our Mac and from what I could see, looked to have caused the wire to blow. I found him hiding under the bed, looking worried and with some frazzled whiskers. I couldn't get him to hold still enough to inspect his mouth so I booked him into the vets where he had a thorough check up (lungs, heart, eyes, temperature, tummy and full mouth check) and luckily he sustained only a minor burn to the corner of his mouth and slightly inflamed lower gums. The vet warned me that if he was to suffer any other effects of the possible electric shock, they'd appear later. So, the weekend was spent monitoring him and he has had loxicam once a day.

To my amazement, he appears completely fine and didn't stop eating or pooping and has been as active as normal. We're back at the vets tomorrow to check his mouth and to see if antibiotics are necessary.

This was an absolute lesson and testament to bunny proofing everything and to triple check things when allowing your bunny to free range. Even out of bounds areas need to be treated with caution as bunnies are opportunists!

We, our house and Neville are extremely lucky this time round. The Mac is tbc for damage as we're waiting on a new power cable. BUNNY PROOF everything guys, the worry, guilt and risks are just not worth it.

Cable:

4DF42E6B-5119-4C9F-8DB4-AF40C8518B41_zpsoxgks4ux.jpg

Whiskers:

DB31A7E7-AFE8-4F75-98BA-7A0B5CF1BF30_zpsijeesois.jpg

'I'm invincible!' Neville this morning:

80E2A692-BC3B-4896-8F30-219090EF37AE_zpsf188s1fv.jpg

And this after the hamster food incident??:shock:

Your Neville doesn't half know how to keep you on your toes! :shock:

I hope he's ok and doesn't give you any more nasty surprises.

xxx

And this after the hamster food incident??:shock:

Your Neville doesn't half know how to keep you on your toes! :shock:

I hope he's ok and doesn't give you any more nasty surprises.

xxx

Yeah :cry: I feel terrible that he's come close to serious harm. I'm just grateful I have the chance to prevent anything like that happening again.

He certainly does keep us on our toes!

Glad he's ok. :love:

We had a similar incident with our cat - didn't realise until a couple of weeks later though because we didn't use the adapter he chewed very often - good job nothing serious happened :shock: he went on to do the same to several pairs of headphones etc. Luckily he grew out of that phase!

He's been very lucky, you must be so relieved!

They're a pain in the bum sometimes! Prince did the same with my fridge cable years ago. The only ill effects were very static fur and a very frightened rabbit. The vet said he was lucky not to have blown a hole in the roof of his mouth. The fridge suffered worse though - it took me ages to fix the wire. Unfortunately though the fridge has outlived Prince in the end. :(

He's been very lucky, you must be so relieved!

They're a pain in the bum sometimes! Prince did the same with my fridge cable years ago. The only ill effects were very static fur and a very frightened rabbit. The vet said he was lucky not to have blown a hole in the roof of his mouth. The fridge suffered worse though - it took me ages to fix the wire. Unfortunately though the fridge has outlived Prince in the end. :(

I'm relieved - but still not convinced he's not going to take a turn for the worse. I think that's me punishing myself for what's happened though and not wanting to jinx how well he seems to be doing. I'm a real advocate with my 4 hamsters on appropriate care, so to have my bunny hurt by something preventable really gets to me! :( I hope his check up tomorrow is positive.

That's terrifying info that the vet gave you re your bunny and the fridge. So scary. They def use up a few lives on those wires!

Oh my word!!

I'm glad I routinely switch things off if I'm not at my desk to avoid any opportunistic behaviour.

I'm so glad he's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh my goodness how scary. Don't be too hard on yourself these things are easily done, and at least it'll never happen again as you'll be so aware of it!

Oh my word!!

I'm glad I routinely switch things off if I'm not at my desk to avoid any opportunistic behaviour.

I'm so glad he's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's going to be protocol for the whole house now, not just the rooms he has access to. I have more cable trunking on its way too! 100% not worth risking it.

Glad he's ok too. Think I'm still in shock over what could've happened to him and the house. Gah!

Don't beat yourself up. They seem to manage to get into these situations however careful you are. The main thing is he's ok. Tbh if you haven't noticed any problems so far he'll probably be ok.

Yeah :cry: I feel terrible that he's come close to serious harm. I'm just grateful I have the chance to prevent anything like that happening again.

He certainly does keep us on our toes!

Don't feel terrible, he's clearly a little hooligan who thinks he can do what he wants! Could happen to anyone.

If he's shown no signs of being ill by now, he's ok.

:wave:

Don't feel terrible, he's clearly a little hooligan who thinks he can do what he wants! Could happen to anyone.

If he's shown no signs of being ill by now, he's ok.

:wave:

Thank you :) he's shot into the room I keep my hamsters in this morning, I was in there so he was supervised but he proceeded to take a bag of Harry hamster from a shelf and drag it under the bed!! He's such a liberty taker lol.

Just back from the vets - his burn is healing nicely, it's crusted over with no signs of infection. Gums are fine.

He has got some clear discharge coming from his left nostril, which at this stage cannot be attributed to anything (whether it's the shock, dental etc.) so I'm keeping an eye on that in case it turns bacterial.

This was him this morning :)

:shock:

So glad he's ok!! Your Neville and my Rupert would get on so well!! He sounds just like Rupert - it's scary isn't it, Rupert bit the plug wire clean thru for the broadband box, luckily its (apparently) low voltage so no injury, but still I think he learnt his lesson (touch wood).

Hope the discharge is nothing serious!

Oh I love Neville he is absolutely gorgeous, even with his burnt whiskers!

Don't beat yourself up, it's easy to make mistakes.

Doughnut free ranges and I've got cable tidies on all of my wires and so she is no long interested. It's easy to miss things though.

Back