• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering top tips?

Roarysbunmum

Young Bun
Hey all,

Smudge is booked in to be neutered on Friday :(

He has a fab bunny vet and I know it’s a fairly standard procedure, however mama Smudge is a bit worried already!

Having not previously been through this with a fur baby, I would love to know your top tips - what to expect post op, how long until he’s feeling more comfortable etc.

I know he will have resorbable skin sutures, will need confined (no jumping for a few days), keeping him eating is of course high priority. I have Metacam at the ready plus all his favourite foods and critical care if needed.

Hearing other peoples experiences will be a great help and please send Smudge healing vibes for Friday!

i've no experience but it sounds like you've really thought things through. Wishing Smudge a successful trip to the vets & that he recovers well

I agree, it sounds like you are very well prepared, and great that you have a good vet. I only had one bunny go through this, and he was just fine. Good luck Smudge ! xx

He should be prescribed pain meds for a few days. Check his incision area. Watch he does not chew sutures. Keep his litter box extra clean. Keep him inside or in warm area.
You already wrote watch eating, drinking, poo, and pee.
He may not eat as much, yet needs to eat enough to keep gut moving.
Sending lots of positive vibes!

Last edited:
I agree with the others that you sound very well prepared! The bunnies I've had neutered all recovered fairly quickly, within one to two days, but it does depend on the bunny. Good pain relief really makes a difference, I've found. It's great that you already have his favourite foods ready so you can tempt him into eating when he gets home. Sending lots of vibes for Smudge, and I hope it'll go well and he'll have an easy recovery.

Many thanks bunny momma, this is really helpful. Smudge is a (mostly) free roaming house bunny so will be nice and warm. Fully stocked up with parsley and bunny favourites :)

I am glad his surgery went well and he us home. Sending vibes he continues to do well.
FYI, he will remain fertile for about 6 weeks. I mention this jic you plan to bond him with an unspayed female.
Also, I saw posts on this forum that the neuter can result in an initial surge in his hormones which will subside

I am glad his surgery went well and he us home. Sending vibes he continues to do well.
FYI, he will remain fertile for about 6 weeks. I mention this jic you plan to bond him with an unspayed female.
Also, I saw posts on this forum that the neuter can result in an initial surge in his hormones which will subside

Thanks bunny momma, the plan is that I will get him a bun friend but wanted to get him neutered first. Guess I’ll put that off for a little longer as we don’t want any accidental litters! Good to know about the hormone surge, not looking forward to that but at least I’ll know what’s going on!

Day after surgery and he was stomping this morning. I’m guessing he was uncomfortable so gave him the Metacam as prescribed by the vet. He is eating although not as much as normal, pooping/peeing ok. He’s still resting lots, happy to have nose rubs but otherwise just snoozing on his padded bunny bed. He tried grooming me (licking my forehead) so at least he hasn’t totally fallen out with me :lol:

Aw, sounds like his recovery is going all right. He must be tired. I'm glad he's not holding it against you. ;) Wonderful that you're going to get him a bunny friend, too. :love:

I am glad you gave pain meds. Bunny's are good at hiding pain, so I just gave meds as scheduled by vet. Sending vibes he is soon his normal self.

Back