• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Number 2: things to consider

Hi.
We have one rabbit, a 2 year old buck. He is booked for castration end July. So we are thinking about getting him a girlfriend. I've found a similar sized doe but she will also need neutering. We can separate them and give them runs next to each other while they are both healing from their ops.

Just wondering if it's a good or bad idea to begin their bonding process while they are both recuperating from their neutering. It would give them lots of time to lounge about in the long summer evenings in next door runs.

Is there any reason you can think of why I shouldn't do this?
Any top tips for bonding?

Thanks

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Hi.
We have one rabbit, a 2 year old buck. He is booked for castration end July. So we are thinking about getting him a girlfriend. I've found a similar sized doe but she will also need neutering. We can separate them and give them runs next to each other while they are both healing from their ops.

Just wondering if it's a good or bad idea to begin their bonding process while they are both recuperating from their neutering. It would give them lots of time to lounge about in the long summer evenings in next door runs.

Is there any reason you can think of why I shouldn't do this?
Any top tips for bonding?

Thanks

Bonding is both physically and psychologically stressful for Rabbits. Both Rabbits will need to be fully recovered from surgery before bonding starts. Also, hormone surges occur for 6-8 weeks AFTER neutering, this can make attempts to bond a lot more challenging. A spay is a major operation so the Doe would need a few weeks to fully heal internally.

In short, starting a new bond immediately after neutering is not advisable.

ETA Bucks can remain fertile for 6-8 weeks AFTER castration so if he were to have contact with an entire Doe during that time he could still impregnate her.

Last edited:
I think what you are planning is very good but don't put them together until after they have been neutered and recovered (at least 3weeks) then comeback here if you need further advice. Times after neutering when it is safe to put them together (if both are neutered) can vary, depending upon the Rabbits.

Thanks tonibun. Buck was castrated 3 weeks ago and doe is in today. She's come out of it OK so now for the recovery. I'm nervous about my mothering and nursing skills. Fingers crossed for us.

Back