• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nethies and Peanuts, Cross Breeding (long essay)

BlackCat said:
Were they the same as Nethie peanuts, then? Unable to suckle, large head, tiny ears and feet, very see through skin? Because the Nethie gene definitely causes peanuts, although I am not ruling out something similar caused through other reasons.

I've had one of those in an accidental mating,

Nipper she was called purely because of the way she struggled to bite at the feeding bottle, I now know she has a malformed mouth and was chewing on her tongue causing it to swell and bleed :cry: She only lived three days :cry:

Then we also had little Nikita who was not quite the same, she made it to seven days, but was in almost constant pain :cry: despite having tiny amounts of pain relief.

Little Nik (Upsetting photo)

000_0688.jpg

If she had survived, she would've looked like this:

000_2223.jpg

Exactly, lots of things like that can happen so please don't breed Gucci, why not rescue a bun or two?

Having said that, there is one cross mating that there is a particular problem with and this is the crossing of Lop breeds with normal breeds. Lop rabbits have a different shape of skull to normal rabbits, and that adorable "one ear up, one ear down" look in cross breeds is caused by a distortion of the skull which be a major cause of malocclusion. This is not something new, either - Darwin studied the subject and has drawn a diagram of an affected skull which you can see clearly shows the distortion:

Ack. Daisy is a cross breed pet-shop rabbit, who was up-eared when I got her. She now has the one up, one down thing, and I have asked several people if her face looks assymmetrical to them, because sometimes it does to me. She's showed no signs of any dental problems so far, but I was totally unaware of that about cross breeding and one ear up one down buns. Useful info.

BlackCat said:
Few of the ones I have seen on the show bench have been clearly dwarfed and the ones I used to have (Torts) certainly weren't. Are yours? Do you know how many other breeders might get peanuts?

As the standard states that Nethie features should be a DQ I thought that would keep the dwarf gene out. After all, it isn't necessary - just look at Polish rabbits!

Having said that, in the past few years I have seen an increasing number of MRs at shows which I would have DQd for the reason above, people seem to be letting that slip a bit.

nope mine dont seen to look dwarf type but iv sometimes been critised by that saying that there ears are too long and body isnt cobby enough and too much like a standers rex (except size) i prefere mine like they are i know some of mine are a bit more cobby now but i havnt introduced anything new into my line to get this.

becky

How disturbing to think that people will inflict so much suffering on these poor creatures, just to create a specimen "perfect" enough for the show table :(

Not to mention adding to the HUGE over-population problem....

Gem said:
BlackCat said:
Were they the same as Nethie peanuts, then? Unable to suckle, large head, tiny ears and feet, very see through skin? Because the Nethie gene definitely causes peanuts, although I am not ruling out something similar caused through other reasons.

I've had one of those in an accidental mating,

Nipper she was called purely because of the way she struggled to bite at the feeding bottle, I now know she has a malformed mouth and was chewing on her tongue causing it to swell and bleed :cry: She only lived three days :cry:

Then we also had little Nikita who was not quite the same, she made it to seven days, but was in almost constant pain :cry: despite having tiny amounts of pain relief.

Little Nik (Upsetting photo)

000_0688.jpg

If she had survived, she would've looked like this:

000_2223.jpg

Did those poor babies go to the vet? Nikita looks painfully thin :(

Jenny

Rexy bexy said:
iv sometimes been critised by that saying that there ears are too long and body isnt cobby enough and too much like a standers rex (except size) i prefere mine like they are i know some of mine are a bit more cobby now but i havnt introduced anything new into my line to get this.

I too have come across this. This is despite the standard stating that the Miniature Rex should in every way except size confirm to the standard of the regular Rex. People annoy me.

Nik doesn't really look like a peanut to me, more like something else was wrong. These are the dangers of breeding from rabbits with unknown histories :?

Sprry for my slow reply on this topic - I was on "holiday" snowboarding... except I tore a ligament in my knee on the first day so spent all week watching television!! :( Typical me :roll:

Back