• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neighbour's loose rabbit

They let him go and didn't go and find him, even when the weather was terrible. He's therefore better off with you!! Especially considering the conditions they kept him in!!

Bunnies aren't naturally that trusting so he sort of chose you when he started to come for food and cuddles.

Your bunny now.

Lucky thing.

:love:

HI, welcome to RU,

not read all of the thread only the first post so I'm not completely up to date.. (I will read the whole thing when i have more time).

I think it is lovely that you are concerned for this little bun, he def needs to be taken out of the field as it is too dangerous for a domesticated rabbit to be on his own in the wild.

I think the kindest thing to do would be to try and rehome him on here if you can't give him a forever home with you. I don't think realeasing him back into the wild in the spring would be a good idea as by then he will have become used to living in your home.
Also if you have been feeding him treats every day for the last month whilst he has been wild then he will become accustomed to this and won't be able to fend for himself if he was to be put back into the wild.

My rabbit is a house bun and has free run of the house, he is very happy and such a little character. I think if you have the space he would make such a great little pet! Cats and rabbits can be bonded :)

Hope this helps xx

Nightmare!

We've been giving him a run in the cat cage for the past few days - sans cats - and it has been obvious that he had absolutely no interest but to be on the other side of the wire in open fields. He hasn't explored the run at all - he just runs up and down looking for a way out. And he managed it. In one place where the wire isn't cemented into the ground, he managed to get his head and shoulders through and the rest of him followed.

By the time I'd corralled the dog and several cats, he was heading down the hill but happily, he stopped and let me pick him up - with some scrabbling, but it was okay.

Then last night, when I put him back in his cage, I put plenty of hay in for him to lie on / eat and in the twilight I didn't notice that some of the hay had prevented the bottom latch from clicking closed. I went down to the house to put the chickens away and do one or two other outside chores and to collect him a handful of rabbit pellets. By the time I got back up to the polytunnel, he'd found the weak spot and legged it. That wouldn't have been so bad because he was still on the poly tunnel plateau but I'd got the dog with me and dog chased rabbit. A lot. Round and round the poly tunnel with plant pots and compost flying everywhere.

Rabbit got safely through the sheep wire and ran down the hill and then into next door's garden and though I searched for several hours last night (bright white bunny being easy to spot) there was no sign. I was up as the sun rose this morning and walked round the fields clicking but... no sign. I have been so depressed. It's one thing losing him to a fox while he was wild at his original home but to have interfered and then left him at risk in an area he didn't know... with the dog and our cats all ready to eat him if they found him, I can't tell you how bad I felt.

Anyway, I went shopping this morning and on coming back down the drive, there he was, just below the chicken hut. I cannot tell you how relieved I am but some of you can probably imagine. He was nestled in a clump of wild rose bushes and when patted on the bottom, hopped reasonably willingly back into his carry cage.

He's now back in the poly tunnel with all latches securely fastened but I am having second thoughts about forcing him to be a domesticated rabbit. He is clearly interested in company because he came back close to where we are; when he was at his original home, he was usually within 10 or so metres of the building, but he really wants to be autonomous, I think.

I know I've not given it long (only a few days) and of course a rabbit that has been living free for the past 6 months is going to be unwilling to accept a wire barrier but I'm really not sure about forcing him to lead a more limited - albeit longer - life in captivity.

I will post photos later and update you when I've had time to think a bit.

Nightmare!

We've been giving him a run in the cat cage for the past few days - sans cats - and it has been obvious that he had absolutely no interest but to be on the other side of the wire in open fields. He hasn't explored the run at all - he just runs up and down looking for a way out. And he managed it. In one place where the wire isn't cemented into the ground, he managed to get his head and shoulders through and the rest of him followed.

By the time I'd corralled the dog and several cats, he was heading down the hill but happily, he stopped and let me pick him up - with some scrabbling, but it was okay.

Then last night, when I put him back in his cage, I put plenty of hay in for him to lie on / eat and in the twilight I didn't notice that some of the hay had prevented the bottom latch from clicking closed. I went down to the house to put the chickens away and do one or two other outside chores and to collect him a handful of rabbit pellets. By the time I got back up to the polytunnel, he'd found the weak spot and legged it. That wouldn't have been so bad because he was still on the poly tunnel plateau but I'd got the dog with me and dog chased rabbit. A lot. Round and round the poly tunnel with plant pots and compost flying everywhere.

Rabbit got safely through the sheep wire and ran down the hill and then into next door's garden and though I searched for several hours last night (bright white bunny being easy to spot) there was no sign. I was up as the sun rose this morning and walked round the fields clicking but... no sign. I have been so depressed. It's one thing losing him to a fox while he was wild at his original home but to have interfered and then left him at risk in an area he didn't know... with the dog and our cats all ready to eat him if they found him, I can't tell you how bad I felt.

Anyway, I went shopping this morning and on coming back down the drive, there he was, just below the chicken hut. I cannot tell you how relieved I am but some of you can probably imagine. He was nestled in a clump of wild rose bushes and when patted on the bottom, hopped reasonably willingly back into his carry cage.

He's now back in the poly tunnel with all latches securely fastened but I am having second thoughts about forcing him to be a domesticated rabbit. He is clearly interested in company because he came back close to where we are; when he was at his original home, he was usually within 10 or so metres of the building, but he really wants to be autonomous, I think.

I know I've not given it long (only a few days) and of course a rabbit that has been living free for the past 6 months is going to be unwilling to accept a wire barrier but I'm really not sure about forcing him to lead a more limited - albeit longer - life in captivity.

I will post photos later and update you when I've had time to think a bit.

Hi, I've read your story and it's fascinating! Well done for looking after him.

I think whatever you decide, the fact remains that a white rabbit is not made to be in the wild. This makes him/her a prime target for foxes and predators, much more so than fawn-coloured rabbits who are more camoflaged and are integrated properly into social groups and burrows.

Your best options are:

1. Keep him/her in the polytunnel and soon he or she will get used to it.

2. Construct a slightly bigger enclosure for him/her over a period of time, so even if he/she isn't happy now in a smaller space, you can rest in the knowledge that he/she will be in something a little bit bigger in the future.

3. Is there a room in your house where it could become a house rabbit? Sometimes rabbits can live very peacefully with dogs and cats, especially if the rabbit stops appearing as prey which is bolting and running all over the place, which just induces the dog's instinct to chase. I think your dogs would have a very different attitude to the bun if it was in your living room lying in front of your fire.

4. Take him/her to a rabbit rescue in France. I know several people in France who are rabbit owners and know the rescues, so could find out contact details for you.

And now that I have got over my severe wobble, here are some photos of the still captive bunny. Note the cats in the last two photos!

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx305/cranbournechase/lapin-01.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx305/cranbournechase/lapin-02.jpg
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx305/cranbournechase/lapin-03.jpg

The weather got colder and while I still feel guilty about his confinement, I'd be more worried about him if he were loose in the field. He gets out and about once a day - the photos show the cat run which is where he managed to squeeze through some unsecured (but now secured) lower wire. Little muppet. :roll:

Thank you Candiflare for your suggestions.

His (actually, he's developing a dewlap so maybe he's a her) colour does make him a prime target for foxes but also because he doesn't have anywhere to bolt, no burrow.

They are social animals, aren't they? So being alone in his cage or in his run isn't very satisfactory for him. So I am going to put aside all thoughts of re-releasing him next spring and will try and find him a good home. I have one or two contacts here in Normandy but my fear is that he'll end up in a similar situation to where he was before he escaped so I'll have passed him on to no better a life.

I could try and get the other animals to accept him and if I had unlimited time I would but having him as a house rabbit at this time (though it is appealing!) isn't practical. Unfortunately.

If I build him a run here - alongside the chickens - that would be foxproof... but he'll be surrounded by cats who really want to eat him which presumably would be stressful for him? Though he shows no fear of them presently.

A few questions:
He has unlimited, good quality hay. I also put in handfulls of dandelion leaves, grass, plantain and other greenery twice a day. It goes down well. What quantity of greenery should I be giving him, though? Is there any field greenery that I should avoid - docks or nettles for eg (both of which I am avoiding!)

Can I give him bits of cabbage, broccoli, celery...? green vegetables that I buy for us. How about the occasional nut? We have lots of walnuts nuts.

He's got fleas. Does he need treating against fleas - and, for that matter, worms? Obviously wild rabbits don't get treated but perhaps a captive rabbit should?

He is in the polytunnel - the temperature in there last night was 5°C so not freezing but not far off. There are no drafts, he has a small "cave" lined with lots of hay and he seemed fine this morning. At what point should I be concerned and bring him into the utility room - which is probably too warm but better than freezing his paws off.

We have got a polytunnel heater to keep the temp above freezing but we're concerned there might be some carbon di(mon?)oxide fumes which wouldn't be good for Rabbit so I'm reluctant to use it.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness i have to add to the other comments RU members have made . . . what a lovely story!! I think you've been fantastic and persevered well, Rabbit sounds happy; change isn't always a bad thing and I am sure he'll come round to living where he is. Your love and your other animals attention sound like they will more than make up for the freedom of a field . . at least he can feel secure i his run and not constantly worried about attack!

Lovely story you've made my night :)

Lj

P.s. He'll have a winter coat :) hay and his dry sheltered "cave" should keep him safe through the cold. . . perhaps consider offering some protection against snow, if you get any, simply by raising a wooden shelter (or whatever his "cave" is made from) off the ground with breeze blocks or similar :)

to be honest id be half inclined on just building a fox proof den thats dark and stuffed full of hay,

i personaly feel having spent so long out with wild rabbits and getting used to all the space etc id just do that, id feel too guilty confining an obviously happy rabbit, you say foxes near you are often culled, perhaps vaccinating the bun for myxi, maybe neutering ( though this COULD cause hormone and territoral probs within his/her group ) but he/she seems very happy

I wouldnt use a heater as others suggest a raised bed stuffed full of hay would be perfect

:wave: Hi I've sort of read the whole thread and my advice is this, get him a hutch ideally 6ft and put it in an aviary run, ideally a shed with an aviary run attached with a view to neutering him and rescuing a neutered doe to pair with him. He will need to be kept safe from your cats and dogs without question.

Diet wise here is a link to the RWA diet advice in terms of veggies, http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdfhe should have 80% hay, 10% greens and 10% good quality high fibre rabbit food (pellets or mix). http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/animal_welfare_bill_lft.pdf

If you can't do that, I would do your initial thoughts of trying to find him a good suitable home, maybe ask if you can do a home visit first to check where he will be living.

Sounds like he has had a rough enough time of things already so I do hope he will be alright, they are incredibly hardy animals so I wouldn't go with the heater if there is any danger of poison from fumes, heat a brick on the fire or rayburn or oven and put it under lots of hay, straw under hay works well as insulation, even a large cardboard or wooden box on it's side with lots of hay will be warm enough providing there is protection from the wind etc.

Best of luck, remember even a small hutch and run that is safe is better than a certain death - I'm really surprised he has survived this long.

Last edited:
Aaaw bless you for your patience....my opinion would be to stick it out, I feel he's still safer in confinement, it's a case of him/her adapting as bun won't know the risks of the wild, so needs protecting, and only you can do that for him/her....gorgeous by the way :love:
Just keep trying different ways to improve on his escape route, he will have a winter coat and buns manage far better in cooler temps, be prepared for the snow/ice though, something off the floor with plenty of straw in, tarpaulin or a shower curtain can be used as a cover over the enclosed area.
Just a variation of veggies, 2/3 different types at a time, dock leaves are a no no, nettles buns can eat, dandilions, plantain, hawthorne leaves/branches, apple leaves/branches and pear leaves/branches. Sow Thistle, bramble leaves, rose leaves/petals, on veggie side dark greens, ie spring greens, herbs, basil, corriander, parsley, rosemary, thyme, fenugreek, mint, cauli leaves, carrot tops, stems of brocoli/sprouts (although can cause a bit of gas) so small amounts, celery leaves, small amounts of celery cut small so the 'strings' aren't too long, dark cabbage leaves....Hmm nuts I've never heard of buns eating nuts so I would avoid, a slice of carrot/apple/pear/banana can be given as a treat, chopped up and hidden in his hay :D:D

What an awesome story. I like your idea of building him a run next to the chickens. I'm sure he'd get used to the cats as they can't get to him and a partner would be a perfect extra.

Bunny does look like a girl to me, but if she is it's amazing she's not pregnant!

(You know you want to keep the bunny) :)

(You know you want to keep the bunny) :)

:no: !

Well, yes, I do, I think s/he's lovely but what I want (and what I have time for) may not be in the best interests of Rabbit. And still s/he's Rabbit because no other name has really "taken" yet. Well... possibly Muppet. ;)

Thanks so much everyone for the dietary hints and tips and other information. I am doing everything more or less right, then. Though Rabbit is getting possibly a bit more than the recommended dose of apple and carrot but only in the evening and I kid myself he needs it because it's cold in the polytunnel. Though not as cold as outside... the sheeps' water bucket had a layer of ice half an inch thick this morning but Rabbit's water wasn't frozen.

Bunny does look like a girl to me, but if she is it's amazing she's not pregnant!
You know, when I read that I thought, well, we can't know she's definitely not pregnant until she's out of a gestation period. Whatever that period is.

And lo, I went in this morning to find a rather nice little duvet assembled at the back of the "cave".

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx305/cranbournechase/muppette-01-1.jpg

Do rabbits have phantom (or false) pregnancies??? Where's the "biting nails" smiley when you need one?

Last edited:
You know, when I read that I thought, well, we can't know she's definitely not pregnant until she's out of a gestation period. Whatever that period is.

And lo, I went in this morning to find a rather nice little duvet assembled at the back of the "cave".

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx305/cranbournechase/muppette-01-1.jpg

Do rabbits have phantom (or false) pregnancies??? Where's the "biting nails" smiley when you need one?

Damn, I'd say she was a girl then. :?

Yes it's very common for rabbits to have phantom pregnancies actually. And if you say that the wild rabbits were bullying her it's possible she's not been mated. I hope!

They gestate for about 31 days I think.

I don't know if you'll be able to find a vet who is good with rabbits because it's always good to get them spayed or neutered, and especially females as the risk of cancer is so high.

However, I still think she's better of with you than out in the wild even if she can't be spayed. I'm sure the risk of being eaten by a predator is much higher than the risk of cancer, especially as she's white. And if she is pregnant she's even luckier you've got her.

And if you say that the wild rabbits were bullying her it's possible she's not been mated. I hope!
Well, I thought it might explain what I was seeing but s/he may have just been being territorial. Or it might have been rabbit foreplay. :shock: I understand cat, dog, sheep and chicken behaviour but have never had to get to grips with rabbit body language before. :?

Interestingly, I just checked back and it was on 27 October that I commented on the interaction with Rabbit and the wild ones. So if gestation is 31 days...

Last edited:
Well, I thought it might explain what I was seeing but s/he may have just been being territorial. Or it might have been rabbit foreplay. :shock: I understand cat, dog, sheep and chicken behaviour but have never had to get to grips with rabbit body language before. :?

Interestingly, I just checked back and it was on 27 October that I commented on the interaction with Rabbit and the wild ones. So if gestation is 31 days...

Uh oh...

check the nest tomorrow...

Just read this thread and am really happy you've given Rabbit shelter :wave:

It reminds me of how my first rabbit arrived in our garden when I was a child. We had neighbours who didn't look after him so he kept escaping. We decided 'he' was a 'she' because we saw another escapee rabbit from another neighbours garden mounting him :oops:. We then gave him hutch and run but when no babies arrived worked out he was indeed a he. I've subsequently learnt that rabbit dominance struggles can lead female rabbits to mount male rabbits. Anyway the imaginatively named Rabs stayed with us for 8 years.

If I ever had enough land I would like to have a large enclosure for rescue rabbits who aren't 'cuddle buns' and who appreciate their freedom. Friends of mine have a chicken enclosure with the wire fence folded over at ground level so animals cant dig in or out and then an electric fence wire around the top to stop the foxes getting in and I think that would work. The rabbits would have to be neutered too obviously. There has been some posts on here about a vet near oxford I think who has this set up.

Your rabbits fur pulling does look ominous so good luck with that!

Back