• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need to confess my guilt :(

Bear in mind I'm relatively new to this myself.... but mini lops / lops in general and 'flat faced' rabbits can be more prone to dental problems. Giants generally live shorter lives for various reasons. Netherland Dwarf rabbits are also prone to dental difficulties. I'm sure other people will have more to say on this though.

But there are tons and tons of lovely cross-breeds or specific breeds who are very healthy in rescue just waiting to steal your heart.... if you care to have a glance through the (( Rabbits In Need )) section or the sister site to this website - (( Rabbit Rehome )) you will see just how many rabbits there are looking for a home. Whereabouts are you based? :D x

thanks for the links, i will have a look, im based in South wales, near Cardiff

x

hes lovely!
as far as bedding goes i would just do hay hay and more hay, you would think rugs and blankets are better but all mine did was pee on them, and then they are.

dont use shavings, they irritate sore hocks, use either megazorb or carefresh or similar, its soft :)

Dont worry you werent to know and he could have got them regardless. I had a dwarf lop who got sore hocks through nothing i did, and it was uncommon in the breed. he ended up having slipping tendons that made his feet drag, which irritated his hocks and he got abscesses. after 3 ops he was put to sleep,after a long battle, but i learnt alot along the way. He died because of a genetic fault that stopped them from healing so dont panic! But what i did learn was loads of megazorb, loads of hay, and clean it every day.

:)

Hello :)

Wanted to give you an update on Rex...

I was going to take him to the vets but the next morning i looked at his sores and they had improved a little from my treatment...

Being a nurse, i knew his sores were not infected (altho people are different to animals) so i decided to carry on with what i was doing for a few days to see what happened, today, his sores are so much better! the one that bleed has now scabbed over, a healthy colour, not green or yellow and the other smaller sores are now pink instead of bright red, so it looks like he is healing well and going in the right direction :)

For the time being while he is healing i still have him in his run with lots of blankets for a soft bedding, no sawdust and plenty of hay. Its not nice seeing him in a cage as im so used to him hopping and laying about in the kitchen, but i know for now its for his own good.

As soon as he is fully healed i plan on letting him out as a house bunny again, i have been doing so much reading on this since we got poorly, some sites say my floors caused it, but others say its just his breed.

He goes out during the day normally and comes in over night, or if its raining in the day time then he stays in. He normally either flops on my floor and spreads out to sleep, or he will go on my kitchen chairs which are padded and sleeps there, he has claimed one of them as his own so he does have a cushion on that one anyway. but i have looked in to these vet beds and have decided to buy him a big one so he can lay about on that, so he will have the option of hard floors, padded chairs and the vet bed for comfort, as well as his dog crate, he sometimes lays in thee with his food and water.

From what i have read, he is showing all the signs of a happy rabbit, comes to me when i call him, allows anyone to stroke him, does this "flopping" thing which i have read is a sign of happiness and feeling loved and secure, so fingers crossed i can nurse him back to health.

He isnt shaking his legs anymore and is now putting his full weight on them, so im hoping that means he is not in pain now.

Really pleased he is responding well to my nursing skills lol

He is my baby and is totally pampered, but i think after this he will be spoilt by me just that little bit more :)

Thanks for all your replys on here, it was nice to know i had support when needed.

x

Hi.:wave::wave: Welcome to the forum:) Rexes are gorgeous, and it was a rex that started my love affair with rabbits! Please consider rehoming a rescue bun. If your absolutely must have another rex, then ask here on the forum if any of the rescues on here have a female rex looking for a home with a gorgeous male:lol:. The beauty of going down the rescue route is that the bunny will have been health checked and neutered, so you won't be buying "a pig in a poke". The person who runs the rescue will be able to tell you about the rabbit's personality, and in some cases will even do the bonding for you. Please have a think about it. By going through a rescue you'll actually be helping 3 rabbits..your own by providing him with companionship,you'll be giving the chosen bunny the chance of a loving forever home with a lovely owner, and lastly you'll free up a space in the rescue for another needy rabbit. Good luck whatever you decide and keep us updated. Never feel awkward about asking questions and remember there's no such thing as a stupid question.:lol: Rabbit ownership involves a very steep learning curve, and we learn so much from each other here by sharing experiences...

HI,

Thanks for your message, I have been considering a rescue rabbit, altho the Blue Rex's have really melted my heart.

The nearest rescue center to me is here..

http://www.freewebs.com/rescuerange/rabbits.htm

I have emailed them with Rex's personality and asked them if they think he is suitable and whether they have any females who will put up with his bossy ways lol

What i may even end up doing is getting my Blue Rex for Rex, and getting 2 rescue rabbits aswell! so i will have 2 pairs.

x

Back