• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need Name Suggestions

My main issue with religion is that I hate lies. And the whole thing is based on a fairy tale that could never be scientifically true. I agree the bible has some great messages in and some of it is a great thing to base a stable society around- but I cant cope with millions of people believing in what is really just a story- it just baffles me.

This is where the arguement is though.
Some of the stories could be symbolic, eg. the flood. There are different sections within Christianity, for example Literists, take the Bible word for word, eg, they beleive there was an actual flood, whereas a liberalist would think of it as more of a moral message etc.
We will never know why we are here, so support your idea of a story, Genesis was probably thought up to explain why we are here, as remember they had hardly any scientific knowledge back then. Religion, of course is a comforting thing.
People believe in after world, heaven etc., we will never know if it is true, so it's a lovely thought to think that there is an ultimate Holy Father who loves us all and we will have eternal rest etc.
The main thing I disagree with about religion is the conflict is creates in the world.

I'm more an Anubis, Horus, Ra, Thoth, Osiris kinda person :love:
Its all very interesting stuff.

I should add Ancient Egyptians name to my list. I love Egyptology and hope that later on in life I could go to UCL and get a degree in it. I love it :love:

Obed-Edom still has the best back-story though :lol:

Can you imagine what the vets will think when they look down your list of animal names.

Toffee, yep, perfectly normal.
Pickle-pudding, hmmm...well ok then
Spider...clearly not a spider
Obed-Edom :shock:

Hmmm its a nice thought- but I could never get myself to believe it. I dont believe in God, a greater being, fate, heaven, life after death or anything like that.

I am very matter-of-a-fact, down to earth person.

Obed-Edom still has the best back-story though :lol:

Can you imagine what the vets will think when they look down your list of animal names.

Toffee, yep, perfectly normal.
Pickle-pudding, hmmm...well ok then
Spider...clearly not a spider
Obed-Edom :shock:
Don't forget Ghostie :lol:

I was doing a selection, I don't know what your kitty names are either :lol:

Maybe I should quickly change Benji's name to something random :angel:

I challenge Jon to a duel!
Some of the Bible has some great messages in it. I have actually read the whole thing :oops:
Some of it is completely untrue though, things like the flood etc.

So has his dad!!

There are like, all these contradictions in it!!

Hmmm its a nice thought- but I could never get myself to believe it. I dont believe in God, a greater being, fate, heaven, life after death or anything like that.

I am very matter-of-a-fact, down to earth person.

Oh don't get me wrong, so am I, (all though sometimes I am away with the fairies) but, what harm is there believing?
It sounds like I am majorly contradicting myself, but my belief is so complex.
Do I think there is a God? I hope so :lol:
Jesus? He is fact, whether he healed like claimed, again I don't know.
I believe in paranormal, having experiences myself, so Jesus and God's relationship could be in the same realm :)?) etc. God I am making no sense to myself :lol:
Some aspects of religion are good eg. moral standards.

Here's a few names from the bible.

Gideon
Jacob
Samuel
Nimrod
Samson
Solomon
Moses
Zechariah.

What a lovely bunny you are adopting.

I was doing a selection, I don't know what your kitty names are either :lol:

Maybe I should quickly change Benji's name to something random :angel:

Monty and Max, pretty normal :lol: You can tell I named Monty :lol:
(He was the fat black one you were stroking in the basket) :love:

I have had a thing for... unique (?) names :lol:

Oh don't get me wrong, so am I, (all though sometimes I am away with the fairies) but, what harm is there believing?
It sounds like I am majorly contradicting myself, but my belief is so complex.
Do I think there is a God? I hope so :lol:
Jesus? He is fact, whether he healed like claimed, again I don't know.
I believe in paranormal, having experiences myself, so Jesus and God's relationship could be in the same realm :)?) etc. God I am making no sense to myself :lol:
Some aspects of religion are good eg. moral standards.

I dont believe in the paranormal either! I have to be able to see it and touch it to believe it is there. I had to have a phyics teacher go into degree level maths when I was doing gcse as I refused to believe in gravity until I have definitive proof.

I dont believe in the paranormal either! I have to be able to see it and touch it to believe it is there. I had to have a phyics teacher go into degree level maths when I was doing gcse as I refused to believe in gravity until I have definitive proof.

:shock:

You have to admit, there are things that science can not possibly explain.
Though some of my experiences may have some scientific explanations, still I believe and would like to believe that they are paranormal.
Have been touched while at a friends, when her ipod was going on and off by itself.
Have heard my dead cat (distinctive meow)
I constantly see a figure in my front room.
I am not like a ghost hunter or anything (just to add :lol:)
I am constantly argueing with myself to what I believe.

I used to know someone who had a Masters degree in physics yet was happily a Christian. She said that far from feeling there was a tension, it actually made her faith stronger, so I don't think it always follows that you're either a scientist or religious and not both :)

:shock:

You have to admit, there are things that science can not possibly explain.
Though some of my experiences may have some scientific explanations, still I believe and would like to believe that they are paranormal.
Have been touched while at a friends, when her ipod was going on and off by itself.
Have heard my dead cat (distinctive meow)
I constantly see a figure in my front room.
I am not like a ghost hunter or anything (just to add :lol:)
I am constantly argueing with myself to what I believe.

I would have to see or hear those things myself- and even then would probably tell myself that I was hearing things. The mind can play tricks on people.

I genuinely believe that science and maths can explain everything.

I would have to see or hear those things myself- and even then would probably tell myself that I was hearing things. The mind can play tricks on people.

Maths? :lol:
So the feeding of the 5000 is false :shock:

That doesn't necessarily mean that they need be mutually exclusive though. A higher being may have created the universe in accordance with scientific and mathematical principles, and that could in fact be the very reason that those principles exist ;)

That doesn't necessarily mean that they need be mutually exclusive though. A higher being may have created the universe in accordance with scientific and mathematical principles, and that could in fact be the very reason that those principles exist ;)

Hang on Alison, have you been sitting in my philosophy classes ;)

Well I would like to meet this highly intelligent individual!

Back