• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help ASAP! About my female rabbit!

Conejitos

Young Bun
I have a female dwarf rabbit 9 months old had her babies on November 2 2012 they are 8 weeks now just have two now was with their mom but I seperated them from her today because they were all humping eachother :s and now for some reason their mother is digging in her bedding and is gathering hay around it and is carrying hay in her mouth! Is she pregnant again?! Why is she doing this she only did this when she was getting ready to have her first litter please someone help! I need to know what is wrong with her right now

Is the daddy bunny still with her? It is very likely she is pregnant again if the dad was still around after the birth of the first litter. I am not the best person to advise on this, but there is a sticky thread about new babies in the health section.

Last edited:
Is the daddy bunny still with her? It is very likely she is pregnant again if the dad was still around after the birth of the first litter. I am not the best person to advise on this, but there is a sticky thread about new babies in the health section.

No he doesn't live with me he's my friends rabbit and they only mated that one time I don't understand why she's making a nest and carrying hay in her mouth

I am not great on advice but believe a male can mate with a female not long after she has given birth, so if he was still around then, she could be pregnant again.

Also I believe they can carry two litters at once, not very common but possible, because they have two uterine horns. Or it could be a phantom pregnancy.

Have you removed her from her kits? How old are the kits?

Also I believe they can carry two litters at once, not very common but possible, because they have two uterine horns. Or it could be a phantom pregnancy.

Have you removed her from her kits? How old are the kits?

I read females can be pregnant again after birth but it's been two months also she hasn't been with a buck since October of 2012 and the babies are 8 weeks Turing 9 on Friday removed them because she was humping a baby and was bitting her because she didn't let her they were all humping eachother

I read females can be pregnant again after birth but it's been two months also she hasn't been with a buck since October of 2012 and the babies are 8 weeks Turing 9 on Friday removed them because she was humping a baby and was bitting her because she didn't let her they were all humping eachother

I have very limited knowledge in this but i'm sure she must have been with a buck to be pregnant so either something's hapoened and they've met or she's having a phantom pregnancy.

I think 8 weeks is the earliest they can leave mum so they should be fine now seperated, I wouldn't move them and stress them yet if you can help it though.

I have very limited knowledge in this but i'm sure she must have been with a buck to be pregnant so either something's hapoened and they've met or she's having a phantom pregnancy.

I think 8 weeks is the earliest they can leave mum so they should be fine now seperated, I wouldn't move them and stress them yet if you can help it though.

So I guess it's just a phantom pregnancy because she hasn't been with a buck for a very long time and the daddy is not my rabbit he's my friends rabbit he doesn't live with me, so I guess it's just false.. Hopefully

Nov 2 2012 until 9 Jan 2013 is NOT 8 weeks - it is nearer 10 weeks. At 10 weeks it is just conceivable that any male bablies can start humping and pregnating the female. However this will not result in her starting to nest yet - (though you may well be looking at more babies in 30 days time now . . . ). I suspect this is a phantom pregnancy unless she has been with another male in that time.

Nov 2 2012 until 9 Jan 2013 is NOT 8 weeks - it is nearer 10 weeks. At 10 weeks it is just conceivable that any male bablies can start humping and pregnating the female. However this will not result in her starting to nest yet - (though you may well be looking at more babies in 30 days time now . . . ). I suspect this is a phantom pregnancy unless she has been with another male in that time.

Yea your right.. I counted wrong they are turning 10 weeks this Friday right now I have one baby male I seperated him from his mother yesterday but is still with his sister should I seperate his sister as well? Can she get pregnant so young? Also she hasn't been with any male since October 2012 and only males she has been with are her babies now I only have one baby male left

Last edited:
Yep keep the male away from the females and I would advise you to take the mummy to be neutered so she can't have anymore babies , what are you doing with the babies you have now are you keeping them

Ideally the male should've been separated at 8 weeks. Dwarf rabbits mature quickly, but hopefully he hasn't dropped as most don't drop until 12 weeks from my experience, but I'm sure I've seen younger. If you can have a check at his bits, if they are on show when you look then it's likely sister is pregnant and maybe mum too. Though they can suck it in when they're cold, so even if you can't see them there's still that chance, but if they are obvious at any point (normally when they are relaxed or hot)

Mum could be having a phantom pregnancy because she's been humping and been humped as it's too soon for her to have any from her son. I would keep a careful eye on mum and daughter in the next month.

Back