• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Naughty bunnies

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Just wondering for some advice if possible;

I have 2 litter trays, both bunnies have been brilliant up until now, but will use the litter tray and then dig it out, obviously I have hay in it, but they also dig out whatever I used on the bottom! I have tried megazorb, a towel, newspaper, and even little weight to stop them moving it and digging it all out, but they still continue to turf it out. Do many people have any luck using a hooded litter tray?

They are indoor buns and they will dig the hay out of their tray, out of the dog crate and all over our lounge.. After 2 weeks of this and a broken Hoover I am really struggling with what else I can do to stop them!

Next dilemma.. Both rabbits are jumping onto the windowsill, this is okay at the moment as its only about 2.5ft high, but they are then jumping on top of their large dog crate. This is almost 4ft high and I am terrified they are going to hurt themselves. I have tried adding cushions to block off where they can jump up, but they are learning to dig at the cushions, move them and then jump up. Any ideas to stop them wanting to get up so high?

Both rabbits have full access to pretty much our bungalow, honey will come and sleep under our bed at night and some nights will go 5-6 hours without heading to the lounge and nibbling on any hay. To say the least I really worry that this is not good for her.

really sorry for all the questions, but really appreciate any advice? Xxx

Bunnies are rascals! Could you try a litter tray with higher sides, like an underbed storage box? Maybe the higher sides would prevent as much stuff getting out, and they clearly will be able to jump into it OK seen as they are like wee kangaroos! lol :)

I had to put a think sheet of Perspex on top of my crate as my Hollie kept jumping up there and I thought that she was going to hurt her leg falling through the bars. In the end I just took the crate away. I never locked then in there so I just did without it. Would that be an option for you, if they have the un of the house then this could maybe work OK.

As for her not eating hay for 5-6 hours, as long as she knows where the hay is and is able to go and get it when she wants then she will be fine. :)

I don't have advice besides completely closing the area off with wire or something, my brandy is a flyer, not just jumper, I use a large puppy play pen to close off where she can go and cause damage during the day. This is mainly where cables go and I need to protect her from herself. It's a nuisance though but nothing else works. My angel bunny used to sleep under a chair for hours on end during the day, I also worried about hay and then just gave in and left some hay for him wherever he lies, again extra cleaning work but I felt a lot better. My bunnies love being under the bed, I wish I could leave the room open but the bed is a lovely chew toy for them and my girl swallows what she chews so I can't have her eat the whole bed!

I'd consider a bigger hay box, like an underbed storage box? This may alleviate some of the issues .

Either that an enclosed cat litter box?

Bunnies are wee pests at times and like to make cleaning duties for us!

Good luck

Back