• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxomatosis

CJ21

New Kit
Hi, not sure if I've put this in the correct place, but I am a bunny owner and have had rabbits since I can remember, and I hate to see anything suffer, the problem is where I work, we noticed the wild rabbits were starting to look a bit rough and have discovered there is a bad case of Myxi in that area, I wanted to know if cases of myxi should be reported somewhere or is it left to run it's course? I know nothing can be done for these poor rabbits, it's just heart breaking to see them all in such a state.

CJ.

Hiya,

No myxi isn't a notifiable disease so it's just left to run its course. If you actually come across a sick rabbit and you can catch it then the majority of vets will euthanise it for free.

If you have rabbits or know anyone with them, then it's really important your rabbits are up to date with their vaccination. This should be done every six months and house bunnies to.

Tam

I want to add to Tamsin's comment though; personally, even though my rabbits are vaccinated, I would not pick up or touch a wild rabbit with myxi. Around where I work there are loads in a terrible state, and it IS awful to watch, but I would not risk taking it home to my buns.

my boyfriend and I have picked up 4 bunnies with mixi in the last couple of weeks and taken them to the vets to get put to sleep. It can take 2 weeks for them to die and is a horrible 2 weeks of suffering and fear so I think it is better to put them out of their misery. Apart from the illness symptoms how scary to be a prey animal and find yourself in the middle of a road or field unable to see where you are going or what is coming. I just pick them up and pop them in my car boot and take them to the nearest vets who have taken them and put them to sleep (free of charge of course). They also then destroy the body so there is less risk of passing the illness on fromthe carcass. You have to be careful to wash everything that comes into contact with them if you have bunnies. I use a towel which i keep in the shed and put it in a very hot wash after each time I have used it to hold a mixi bunny.:cry:

Thanks everyone for your replys. I live in Pembrokeshire, Wales, the RSPCA here wouldn't do anything. I did pick one up but was riding a horse at work so couldn't take it back with me, did look out for it later that day but didn't see it, I think the Myxi has killed off most of them now, it's awful that man can create such a terrible disease like this, and create so much suffering.

Back