• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxomatosis in VACCINATED Rabbits

How long after their last vaccination did your Rabbit(s) develope Myxomatosis

• A few days

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Less than 1 months

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Less than 2 months

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Less than 3 months

• Less than 4 months

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Less than 5 months

• Less than 6 months

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • More than 6 months (for those vaccinated once a year)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I hope from this we can tell exactly when & how often we should be re-vacsing cos I wanna be getting it right next year.

Hi, Just a question, are all the bunnys contracting this myxi after being immunised indoor or outdoor bunnys?

Hi, Just a question, are all the bunnys contracting this myxi after being immunised indoor or outdoor bunnys?

Ive got 3 bunnies who have contracted nodular myxi ,2 are outdoor bunnies and 1 is an indoor bunny.

Myxi doesn't show a preference unfortunately.

my 3 were indoor. Windows are open all the time, but I had fly strips up, & before the recent 2, I had mossie nets up:cry:

Also, some Vets are still not administering the vaccine correctly-ie 10% into the dermis

Interesting you should say this, when I was at my vets last we were talking about myxi, he has seen one case of nodular myxi this year, in a bun he did not perform the vaccination on. He thinks the main cause of cases is incorrect vaccination, he said he does not see how a vet can be sure the 10% is given correctly unless somewhere like the ear where you can see the "bubble" as it goes in. Would be interesting to see how many of the nodular myxi buns had the 10% in the ear?

Interesting you should say this, when I was at my vets last we were talking about myxi, he has seen one case of nodular myxi this year, in a bun he did not perform the vaccination on. He thinks the main cause of cases is incorrect vaccination, he said he does not see how a vet can be sure the 10% is given correctly unless somewhere like the ear where you can see the "bubble" as it goes in. Would be interesting to see how many of the nodular myxi buns had the 10% in the ear?

My 3 did. When they used to get vacs, they didn't but I learnt about it from here & it changed the next time they were vacs

Also, some Vets are still not administering the vaccine correctly-ie 10% into the dermis

Dont feel you cant highlight the importance of this to your Vet BEFORE he/she vaccinates your Rabbit.

ETA- Should the Vet dispute this (some do... :?) point them in the direction of the Vaccine Data Information Sheet

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_Schering-Plough/Nobivac_Myxo/-29531.html

would like to add chelsea definarly gets the 10% done correctly but is elderly albeit with a good immune system she was old enough when she contracted myxi but didnt get it as bad as many others on here(tho still painful and distressing) she survived. so even if you do get the 10% done corrrectly your rabbit could still contract it. x

however if she had contracted it worse iim not sure how she would have fared so im grateful to the vaccine and our vet for administering it correctly.

Surely if the disease was caught due to incorrect vaccination they'd be more likely to get the full blown disease rather than the nodular. :?

edit: ignore this - I have just talked myself out of this argument! :oops::lol:

Last edited:
Back